Starting Issue

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
it almost sounds like you don't have spark or fuel in the beginning. Go out and crank on it but don't let it start and then pull a plug and see if its wet and how they look in general. I recently learned how easy it is to have the vatozone guys hand you the wrong spark plugs, have you verified that they are correct and not fouled?

OP
OP
Boostr1

Boostr1

Reaction score
It started the first time no problem, and that was after I primed the pumps. It will start when I press on the gas pedal and keep my foot on it to keep it running then it will smooth out.

Caindawg

Reaction score
It the purge valve, not sure what it’s called on a mustang. It holds fuel fumes then shoots them into the intake for initial start up. It’s on the throttle body. Basically it’s a one way valve when it starts to fail it stops blocking the gas and fumes from returning to the tank

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I was going to say that if you have to have your foot on the gas it means that it needs more air. It should not change the amount of fuel added but for some reason you just don't have enough air. I can't remember now if you did the IAC? If you did then it makes me wonder if you don't have a harness problem with it like I did on my tps. The old harness had one clip broken off of it and it just was not as tight as it use to be(thats what I said) and because of this it would not read correctly. If your having a harness problem it could possibly work itself out as the motor is shaking during cranking and then when it suddenly connects your good. Check the IAC harness by giving it a tug and a few jiggles. It should not move much at all even with moderate force.

BigBore96

Reaction score
Any of you still use the SCT X3 3000 handheld. That's the One I have.
Xcal2 here.

You're on the right track. I'd imagine it's running pig rich on start and opening the TB for more air allows it to start.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
Boostr1

Boostr1

Reaction score
It the purge valve, not sure what it’s called on a mustang. It holds fuel fumes then shoots them into the intake for initial start up. It’s on the throttle body. Basically it’s a one way valve when it starts to fail it stops blocking the gas and fumes from returning to the tank

I was going to say that if you have to have your foot on the gas it means that it needs more air. It should not change the amount of fuel added but for some reason you just don't have enough air. I can't remember now if you did the IAC? If you did then it makes me wonder if you don't have a harness problem with it like I did on my tps. The old harness had one clip broken off of it and it just was not as tight as it use to be(thats what I said) and because of this it would not read correctly. If your having a harness problem it could possibly work itself out as the motor is shaking during cranking and then when it suddenly connects your good. Check the IAC harness by giving it a tug and a few jiggles. It should not move much at all even with moderate force.

Thanks, all great Ideas. I'm gonna check my tune first i have a funny feeling it maybe rich from when I was fattening up the A/F in the colder temps. I'm gonna definetly keep this in mind.

So: If it isn't the tune (which I think it is) I'll check the IAC harness, if not the harness I'll check the temperture switch, if it isn't that... I'll hit it with a RPG...

OP
OP
Boostr1

Boostr1

Reaction score
Could be the IAC, Its the original to the car. Thanks for the help. This site is definitely better than the others in response and knowledge wise.

OP
OP
Boostr1

Boostr1

Reaction score
Hooked up the SCT X3, looked at the tune and my WOT A/F was at +8 rich... I went back to the default for that tune to put it back to 0 a/f... then my booster gave out and couldn't start the car after redoing the tune... Guess tomorrow I can crank it up and see what's gonna happen.

Really need to get a new battery...

OP
OP
Boostr1

Boostr1

Reaction score
I don't remember it being at 0, might of been +2 or 3 cause of pinging... I'll see tomorrow and keep my ears open.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ccrider

Members online