Starting Problem

ALITL8

Reaction score
okay, it acts like the battery is draining (clickity, click, click) but i checked the voltage with the car running and the alternator is putting out 13.9 - 14 V with nothing on. Linda took it to the Walmart service center to have the battery tested and they said the battery is good.

whats next?

Tattoogod

Reaction score
ok ill start here..just because a battery says 14.4 volts ..thats the primary cells..when you goto crank it over.thats drops like crazy.most starters have a saddle back capacitor or one built in..so if they tested it and said its ok..id goto the solenoid..(inexpensive) still no go ..then put in a mini starter....or worse yet.there could be a ground problem..ive already attached 2 more grounds to my motor from the chassis,just because. i plan on running alot of power through my audio/video system im working on.more ground the better.that clicking noise your hearing says there is one of the problems i just mentioned..i hope you can read this as i was thinking it up lol..

good luck

OP
OP
A

ALITL8

Reaction score
thanks Tatoogod! after taking it for a drive this evening im almost sure its the alternator. when you run any power; lights, fan, stereo, etc., you can watch the amp meter fall on its ass. once you get rolling, it will come back up but drops the next time you take it to idle. i'm going to go with an alternator tomorrow... if thats not it then the solenoid :thumb:

97vertstang

Reaction score
if they told u that the alternator is charging right than i seriously doubt its the altarnator. i seriously think theres a bad ground somewhere. check ur battery posts!!!!make sure they are nice and clean with no corrosion.its not getting good ground somewhere.

OP
OP
A

ALITL8

Reaction score
97vertstang said:
if they told u that the alternator is charging right than i seriously doubt its the altarnator. i seriously think theres a bad ground somewhere. check ur battery posts!!!!make sure they are nice and clean with no corrosion.its not getting good ground somewhere.

grounds are good. they told me it was charging just not enough. they recommended putting the stock pulley back on the alternator to see if that fixes it. i was going to pull the alternator today and got into it only to find that the new U/D water pump pulley blocks one of the lower alternator bolts. little things like this just irritate the crap out of me :mad:

Tattoogod

Reaction score
you could always move up to a bigger battery with more CCA . Mine is 840 CCA..and a mini torque starter.our sn95 alternators are nice.how old is your battery.any cracks in the battery cables.the posts can look fine .but have green corrosion in the wires.which will kill electric performance.usually first thing i do with any used car i buy. I replace all battery cable and put the biggest battery i can fit in there.and put a new high output starter in..i never have any problems..knock on wood ;D .Im a firm believer bigger is better when it comes to electric in our cars.also when replacing battery cable.buy the biggest one you can find.i custom made mine from 4 OT service wire from a house lol. those suckers can flow over 1000 plus volts. then i went down to semi truck cables..they looked better too.and when buying new cables try and find the oxygen free type cable.and you want the thick stranded cable not tghe real fine stuff .the fine cables are good for car audio but not the starter and such.

OP
OP
A

ALITL8

Reaction score
we've owned this car since it was new. all the cables are in perfect condition and there is no corrossion (ive looked at every piece of wire in and under the engine bay). im pretty sure its the alternator so im going to pull it and have it checked and/or replaced.

this is our engine bay with 160K daily driven miles on it ;D

ourgtengine1.jpg

Tattoogod

Reaction score
nice engine bay.but unless you sealed the ends of your cables where the copper is.you wouldn't see the green stuff unless you cut the insulator off the wire.plus the wire insulator is not air tight.it is porous.not much but it is.and trust me moisture will and does find its way in one way or another.the wire may not be green..but possibly black under the coating.I'm not saying its your problem.just a possibility.looks can be deceiving 8). but again .SWEET engine bay. :thumb:

OP
OP
A

ALITL8

Reaction score
well i got the alternator replaced today and so far so good :dunno:

thanks for all the help, guys!!

next time im out though i may look into the better wiring, etc.

Tattoogod

Reaction score
just think ,the company pretty much toss in there what they want.we spend thousands on wheels,tires,paint,audio,etc..but how many of us upgrade our wiring? ??? just a thought for ya.hey good job on fixing the prob :thumb:

97vertstang

Reaction score
now thats a clean engine bay :eek: i hev 60k miles less than u and doesnt look anything like that. nice :thumb:

OP
OP
A

ALITL8

Reaction score
97vertstang said:
now thats a clean engine bay :eek: i hev 60k miles less than u and doesnt look anything like that. nice :thumb:

thanks man, you should have seen it before we detailed it to show last year... it looked like it would if it that mileage on it. we spent hours under the hood with tooth brushes, sponges, polish, wax and some black shoe dye ;) i'll post up the shoe dye trick in the Shine Shop ;D

Tattoogod

Reaction score
hell yeah.i know mine could use some dye.im trying to get motivated to get my car shots on here.im just been feelin lazy :-X

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.