Steeda Tri-Ax Owners Get in heyah

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
I had a Tri-Ax and liked it. It was a nice shifter with no issues. I jumped on the bandwagon a couple years ago a bought an MGW. Also a great shifter. I just upgraded to the new style handle and bought the race handle and standard handle to switch it up. I like the feel of the MGW shifter with the new style handles...

Yeah I'm pretty much sold on the MGW now lol.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah I'm pretty much sold on the MGW now lol.

As [MENTION=15502]Ferocious[/MENTION] said. The MGW is the bees knees. I've tried every single shifter available, and still nothing compares to my MGW. I've installed so many of them, and every single time, the owner falls in love. Like clockwork.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
As Ferocious said. The MGW is the bees knees. I've tried every single shifter available, and still nothing compares to my MGW. I've installed so many of them, and every single time, the owner falls in love. Like clockwork.

Thanks for the input dude. Turns out my friend has one in his 02 GT, said its hands down the best one. I'm sold haha

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
I have a tri-ax, it is gewd. Shifts are short, precise and if you miss 3rd you're an idiot. I also like that I can use the steeda relocation bracket to move my shifter handle back 2" closer to me while keeping the throws just as short as they were before. You just have to modify it a little since the holes are for hurst/3550 3/8" bolts vs the M12 most shifters use. Nothing some nylon bushings from the parts store can't fix.

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
I have the MGW on my sn95 (t45 tranny). My dad has the steeda on his '69 with a tremec tko tranny (very similar). I've driven them both and the MGW is way better. Not even close. Also the build quality of the MGW is infinitely better.

As a machinist I can appreciate the craftsmanship, it's machined with 3d toolpaths from a solid block of aluminum. The steeda is machined in 2.5 axis and then the aluminum is BENT to give it the angle. Very cheap build quality IMO. You can feel the difference

The steeda shifter is fine until the first time you get your hands on a mgw (or pro 5.0 but i've never used one). Then you'll think its crap haha

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
I have the MGW on my sn95 (t45 tranny). My dad has the steeda on his '69 with a tremec tko tranny (very similar). I've driven them both and the MGW is way better. Not even close. Also the build quality of the MGW is infinitely better.

As a machinist I can appreciate the craftsmanship, it's machined with 3d toolpaths from a solid block of aluminum. The steeda is machined in 2.5 axis and then the aluminum is BENT to give it the angle. Very cheap build quality IMO. You can feel the difference

The steeda shifter is fine until the first time you get your hands on a mgw (or pro 5.0 but i've never used one). Then you'll think its crap haha

I sat in my boys 02 GT, he's got a MGW. Thing is ridiculously short and pretty tough to shift. I didn't drive it just went through the gears, took me a minute to go through the gears correctly lol

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
I sat in my boys 02 GT, he's got a MGW. Thing is ridiculously short and pretty tough to shift. I didn't drive it just went through the gears, took me a minute to go through the gears correctly lol

Sorry, I didn't realize this is the "what shifter should I get if I just sit in my car and don't drive it" thread

How is that a good way to judge the shifter? Once the gears are moving and you are driving the car it is completely different

Sent from Tapatalk for iPhone

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't realize this is the "what shifter should I get if I just sit in my car and don't drive it" thread

How is that a good way to judge the shifter? Once the gears are moving and you are driving the car it is completely different

Sent from Tapatalk for iPhone

Easy Nancy LOL. I gotta learn first, wouldn't try and drive something I couldn't. When I learn I'll try it out for real. I get what your saying though

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
Main reason I stuck with the Tri-Ax is I HATE the SN95 shifter reach and did this to fix it.

That is neutral and I have not seen anyone get the shifter THAT close without a longer handle. In that position my shifts are so short its absolutely ridiculous and I don't have to lean at all to hit 3rd.

As far as build quality. Look, I know the MGW piece could be a work of art. However, this thing is covered by a crappy piece of rubber and an almost equally crappy vinyl boot, you don't see it lol. Its solid, its queit with a Cobrabob gasket and I have 0 issues with it. If I REALLY wanted a comfy shift I would put my UPR "Roush" knockoff handle back on and have the knob damn near at the armrest in 4th lol.

As always, YMMV. I see no need to change from it.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
You basically made an extension to mount the shifter handle onto? Or are my eyes playing tricks on me

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
What are you like 4' 8" ? I never have to do any leaning with my MGW, with the seat all the way back?

lutter94

Reaction score
That shifter arm offset looks ridiculous, near the armrest in 4th? wtf, lol. Pretty sure after my 5 speed swap, I'll want the shifter straight up, not brought back. Driving the auto, I rest my hand on the shifter in drive, its comfortable.

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
You basically made an extension to mount the shifter handle onto? Or are my eyes playing tricks on me

Its the steeda extension plate. I modified it to work with the M12 bolts since its drilled for 3/8" where it attaches to the shifter. Got some nylon bushings for $1 at home depot and drilled them out enough to get a thread started.

What are you like 4' 8" ? I never have to do any leaning with my MGW, with the seat all the way back?

Maybe your arms are long? I'm 5'11 and I always had to lean a little to hit 3rd and 5th. Its a common problem honestly. Yes with the MGW you can get the comfort handle to get it pretty far back but thats way too long of a handle IMO. The way I have it set up I have a ridiculously short throw, I don't have to reach at all and the knob is straight up and down vs tilted towards me.

That shifter arm offset looks ridiculous, near the armrest in 4th? wtf, lol. Pretty sure after my 5 speed swap, I'll want the shifter straight up, not brought back. Driving the auto, I rest my hand on the shifter in drive, its comfortable.

I was talking about the Roush handle making the handle near the armrest in 4th... not the current setup. The handle IS straight up and down, its just moved back.

Neutral

1st

2nd

3rd

4th

5th

Like I said, I see 0 reason to change. I've been banging the crap out of various gearboxes with the Tri-Ax for 15 years and never had an issue. I KNOW the MGW is a great shifter and it usually comes down to a "MGW vs Tri-Ax" thread. I just never quite understand that when someone comes in like me and says they like the Tri-Ax more its like I shot someone's dog. If you like the MGW better, get that. If you really think you like another shifter more then get that one. I just wish shifters weren't so expensive honestly. Its kind of hard to compare/contrast unless you have friends with all different shifters unless you want to spend the money on 2 or 3 different shifters.

lutter94

Reaction score
When I say straight up and down I mean if the shifter mount is the origin, straight up is in in the Z direction. 0 inches in the X and y directions. Just thought the first way I said it sounded "simpler".

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Lol what's this comfort handle nonsense. I have the original orange handle :D

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
When I say straight up and down I mean if the shifter mount is the origin, straight up is in in the Z direction. 0 inches in the X and y directions. Just thought the first way I said it sounded "simpler".

You mean like this?

pro-7210t5_6639.jpg

If that's what you are talking about you will hate it. Slam your fist into the bezel going into 3rd every time and unless you have really long arms or have your seat pulled way up you will have to lean to get 3rd and 5th. Having your auto shifter in D is like having the manual shifter in 4th and 4th isn't a problem gear as far as reaching it even with a stock setup.

That is a Pro 5.0 shifter btw.

lutter94

Reaction score
Ya, I haven't used one, just thinking out loud. My seat is all the way back all the time. We'll see what its like when I'm done. I bought a pro 5.0 off a guy on a forum, either here or corral, can't remember if thats the same arm bolted to it, prob is. I just know having it offset that far back would kick my OCD into overdrive, lol......

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
Well your OCD would be in overdrive while you had to lean out of your seat to hit actual overdrive lol. You'll see when you do the swap, most ppl with the Pro 5.0 swap to the tri-ax handle or even a stock handle because the damn thing is too far forward. The OEM handle is offset back too so its not like it some weird setup or anything.

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
I have the steeda and when i somehow can do it.. I will be switching to the MGW. I felt one back in 06 after just putting a tri-ax in my car. Cookieman let me sit in his car and test it out. Fell in love. Have just needed to spend money elsewhere in the mean time.. But I do want one. Sadly they will not make another orange handle for me..

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
There is always the used market. You don't like the new 2nd gen MGW units? You could always look for a blue handle from 2005 lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdude138

Members online