Steering Has Loose Feel at Higher Speeds

AdamDH

Reaction score
Hi all. My name is Adam and I am new to the forum. I have a 2001 V6 mustang coupe daily driver that has some issues at high speeds. It tends to wander and grab bumps etc. Steering is very loose. It has about 93k miles on it with newer tires with minimal wear. I have never had any work done on the suspension.

Lately I've been noticing the car feels as if it's being blown by the wind when traveling at high speeds. This is happening without there being any wind (obviously). Feels slightly sloppy and tends to pull when crossing over high or uneven spots in the road (more so than usual). It's nothing major, I can keep it in a straight line without a problem, yet it's enough for me to notice the entire time I'm driving at highway speeds.

It does not tend to pull to either side consistently.

I jacked the car up and tried wracking the front wheel but it was tight and would not move in any direction. Both wheels were the same. I inspected the suspension components and nothing was bent or looked suspicious except for the following: Torn boots on ball joints on both sides and noticeable gaps between the swaybar and its bushings. I don't notice any weird sounds when I turn the steering wheel or during driving.

I did notice some play in the rack and the control arms while on the ground, stationary, and moving the wheels.

The steering wheel has about a 1/2 inch of play in it. With the car off I can move the tires laterally (they move together when I move one) and the steering wheel will turn about an inch or so when I do this. I checked the rag joint and it looks good.

I have pics and some videos of the suspension components. I know that I need to replace the shocks and struts. That's a given.

So if you can provide me with a game plan here as far as diagnosing my problem and how I should approach replacing parts, I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks,
Adam

http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/adamhuttonc/library/

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Definitely needs an alignment. my 72 coupe (track car) did the same thing and get the worst "bumpsteer" the steering felt lose, and it seemed as if the steering lagged, another words if i turned the wheel it will take time to react. terrible, i hated driving that car. Turned out my toe was out of spec, took it to firestone (a guy there actually knows what he is doing) put it in spec and bam problem gone!

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Find a place with a lifetime alignment.... usually means they do a lot.... not a guarantee they know what they are doing but it hwlps

Mustanger

Reaction score
I would take it to a very reputable front end shop & have the entire suspension gone over...it's time to replace all the bushings & maybe the tie rod ends. Have a close look at the Ball joints and that swaybar too...gaps & torn boots bother me...just think of it as an investment that will pay daily dividends! How are the front struts? Is your car lowered?

AUTOBAHN

Reaction score
Check the steering shaft. The rag could still be good, but check the telescoping part. It has a plastic liner that wears out.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Could be various things . Balljoints , tie rods , steering shaft , shit tires etc

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online