Steering Shaft Firewall Bearing Replacement

Rich

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got an issue with my firewall bearing for the steering shaft of my Mustang.
I threw it out... :-(

So I torn down my 2004 Mustang GT Convertible at the beginning of the year to replace/install new and upgraded parts I've been collecting for a couple years now. It has been my year-long COVID project, thanks to our fearless leader and Authoritarian Governor, Mr. Gavin Newsom, locking everyone down in California.

I did not realize how difficult it was to find replacement parts for this car. Thankfully I have been able to get by with almost everything I've either taken apart or broken EXCEPT the steering shaft firewall bearing. Every Ford dealer I've contacted online has told me it is either discontinued or on indefinite back order, which is weird because it supposedly fits models all models up to the 2017 GT500. I was following a thread from this forum regarding the bearing here: "https://www.sn95forums.com/threads/another-sloppy-steering-fix.73076/" and with the part number I didn't think I'd have any issues. But I've just struck out every which way the last few weeks and now I'm at a loss. Any thoughts on how I can remedy this issue?

I'll try an online pick & pull if I have to, but I was hoping to find something new. But at this point, old is better than nonexistent.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
So, when I bought mine in the spring my local dealer told me there were three on the shelf in the nation. Perhaps your dealer could check their network and give you a lead on who to call. If that doesn’t work, I’ll get with my local guy who did that for me.

OP
OP
R

Rich

Reaction score
Hey white95,

Yeah, I remember hearing something similar when I was trying to find a replacement for those "U" shaped metal pieces that properly locate the front sway bar. That was two or three years ago and the guy said there were three or four in the country, and they had to be shipped from Michigan or Maine or something. I'll reach out to a local dealer on Monday and see if they can surprise me. I still have the bracket the bearing fits into, I wish I knew how to weld, I might be able to fit a different, smaller bearing I bought into the car. Thanks for the help!

Adfalenski

Reaction score
Go to a bearing store in your area. Let them know what you need and they will probably have a substitute that works. Ford bearings are not made by Ford, they are made for Ford by the companies that supply the world and etched with a Ford part number.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
^^^^
Excellent info!!

And im sure the bearings can be swapped out. Having the slightest clue of how the firewall steering bearing itself and its housing looks like, typically manufacturing is to take availability cheap and utilize it. Keep us informed...im intrigued!

OP
OP
R

Rich

Reaction score
So I was going through one of the 40 boxes of new and used parts I have scattered throughout my house and actually found the original rubber bushing and bearing that was punched out of the plate that holds it to the firewall.

I'll see if I can find a shop that can get me a new bearing. I have no idea where I might find one but I'll get online and figure out who I can go to. I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area so I'm sure someone has something I could use. But at least I can still use the old one if I can't find anything. Thanks for the input guys!
full

full

full

OP
OP
R

Rich

Reaction score
Jesus! Those images are huge! My apologizes! I'll try to figure out how to shrink them for future posts!

OP
OP
R

Rich

Reaction score
Hey all,

I wanted to give an update on my bearing adventure...

So I called Ford directly and asked about the bushing/bearing replacement. I was told that there were about 100 people who have ordered one, but it was on back-order with no arrival date. Just to quell my curiosity I asked the woman if that meant there was a chance this part would not be made again and she told me that it most certainly would be available again in the future as there were a lot of orders, but she just couldn't say when. What that tells me is the part is probably made in China or parts are sourced from China, or Mexico or wherever and COVID is screwing things up. Just my assumption...

So I found a local bearing place. After about 45 minutes of measuring the dam thing, the woman helping me asks if this is for an automobile because its very strange and it's size does not fit any of their standards offerings. Go figure... Everything has to be proprietary... So I told her to get the next size up and the next size down from what she measured. They had to be shipped to me and when I opened them up to try them out I realized that this is indeed a special type of bearing...

IMG_4885.JPG

IMG_4886.JPG

The bearing is actually split, which allows it to slide over the steering shaft and the tapered plastic piece that fits onto the shaft.

IMG_4887.JPG

So at this point, I'm leaning towards just reinstalling the original bushing/bearing piece and replacing it when a new batch comes in. I may also get my calipers out and measure the diameter of where the shaft will actually sit and get a correct size bearing, but I haven't made up my mind on that yet.

Anyway, that's where I'm currently at. I'll get back to y'all when I figure out what I'm actually going to do. I'm in the process of reinstalling the dash and fixing some of the wiring issues (I had an interlock device installed years ago because of a DUI, when they removed it I went through 3 batteries before realizing they really jacked the wiring up, so I Mickey Moused the wires as a band-aid until I could fix it the right way) I have. Jesus, what a PIA it is! I'm not sure I'll be able to get every bunch of wires back in the right spots, horribly frustrating!

Oh, as a side note, I was going to try and hide the engine wire harness as much as I could. Has anyone done this successfully? I thought about running the harness on the inside of the car then drilling a hole in the firewall near where the trans meets the engine and having the wires branch out from there. Thoughts?

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Damn, I sure hope you find a suitable replacement. Hell. Even a used part from a wreck would be better than what you have on hand.

I believe there’s a write up on wire tucking the 4.6 cars on this page somewhere. Perhaps it’s on another forum. Hmm. I’ll look around for it.

OP
OP
R

Rich

Reaction score
Right on man, thanks!

What exactly do you think is wrong with the one I have? Just how rusted it is?

OP
OP
R

Rich

Reaction score
So I threw the old one back in. I measured the black sleeve and it's 28 mm OD and the ID of the rubber bushing is roughly 32 mm so I'm guessing a 28 mm ID & 32 mm OD bearing would work, but I'm not going to sit around and wait for one. I will try to buy a new unit once Ford gets them back in stock as I bought a new MM Steering Shaft and it deserves a new bushing/bearing, but I think the rubber bushing is more important to replace than the bearing for a more solid feel and only Ford has the replacements for that...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ccrider

Members online