Steering Wheel questions

Clutch Cargo

Reaction score
Planning on having my 94 GT steering wheel's leather re-wrapped but got to thinking... is a V-6 steering wheel just like my GT wheel but without the leather wrap? Thinking I could just buy a used V6, send that in to be wrapped and then replace it with my current wheel? Saves time & $$ having it removed and put back on two times. Thoughts?

The other question is the SRS in the center of the wheel. Can that cover be removed (want to paint it) from the air bag unit or is it one piece? Can one just buy a cover plate? Guess I could still give it a spay paint with it still attached to the SRS unit. THx

badass98svt

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what are they charging to wrap your wheel?
I picked up my FR500 wheel for $150 during a black Friday LMR sale a few years ago. Even with no sale, they are $225 new. So much nicer than the OEM leather wheel too.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Yes, the airbag cover can be removed from the airbag. You'll want to remove the negative lead on the battery before you remove the whole unit from the wheel. You just pry the cover off the airbag. Don't use regular paint. It has to be formulated for vinyl. LMR has them and so does Leather World.

badass98svt

Reaction score
Landau Black is the color from SEM if you're going black

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
redline leathers sells a kit that you can sew yourself. It really isn't all that hard and can be done while you watch some tv.

OP
OP
C

Clutch Cargo

Reaction score
They quoted $299 which is fine for me as I have more money than time and I'm sure they do a better job than me. Oh, it's saddle tan by the way. Thanks for the tips on the paint.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
also yes the v6 is just an unwrapped wheel. If you don't have one already I think I have one in my storage I could part with for cheap. It is a leather wrapped but it doesn't take anything to cut the stitching off. I had redline do mine for me maybe 8 years ago, top quality stuff and it has held up nicely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online