STEERING Wheel Vibration

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Ever since I bought the car in 2012, even bone stock everything.. The steering wheel vibrates. I've had 4 different sets of wheels, the vibration was always present. Front end is all new minus the inner tierods, A arm bushings and rack bushings. It starts at about 45ish, and feels pretty nasty. I need an alignment as I slammed the car on coilovers. Any ideas? Replacing the other original bushings wouldn't be a waste of time or money so I'm doing that anyways. Prothane swaybar bushings, poly swaybar endlinks (shorter because of how low I am), UPR coilovers, 12" 250lb springs, strange 10 way adjustable struts, MM cc plates, cobrs brakes etc.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Pull the panels off under the steering column and check the four main nuts/bolts that hold the column to the dash..

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Does it vibrate when going around curves? In other words, above 45 mph so it's vibrating, lake a long, sweeping left hand turn - does it vibrate? Then do the same thing but do a right sweeper - does it vibrate?

Could it be a wheel bearing? If you jack the front wheels off the ground, and leaving them tight on the hub (don't loosen the lugs), try to move the wheel back and forth, do you get any kind of play? Never mind, just saw your new post.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Does it vibrate when going around curves? In other words, above 45 mph so it's vibrating, lake a long, sweeping left hand turn - does it vibrate? Then do the same thing but do a right sweeper - does it vibrate?

Could it be a wheel bearing? If you jack the front wheels off the ground, and leaving them tight on the hub (don't loosen the lugs), try to move the wheel back and forth, do you get any kind of play? Never mind, just saw your new post.

Ummm I never really payed attention to whether its in curves or not as well. I can't say yes or no because 45 and over its very well present all the time. I don't have anywhere to turn like that at 45

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Ummm I never really payed attention to whether its in curves or not as well. I can't say yes or no because 45 and over its very well present all the time. I don't have anywhere to turn like that at 45

Interstate on ramps yo

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Not that it matters but the same day I mounted the new wheels I noticed the vibration was more present. But the mounting and balancing was perfect. And I did have a small issue while driving that resulted in driving the car extremely hard, car chase... Not that I did anything wrong, couple carjackers tried to steal the car haha. I did notice that 100 plus the wheel didn't shake as much.

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
I just recently got installed a maximum motorsports solid steering shaft and polyurethane front and rear rack bushings. I also have steeda bumpsteer kit and oem inner tie rods. I have vibration around 65-75mph as well. My hunch is that the rack and pinion is old needs to be replaced. Since I am driving the car more frequently now, I will see if it goes away because I just got alignment done so maybe the tires need to wear in properly? Who knows...

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Not that it matters but the same day I mounted the new wheels I noticed the vibration was more present. But the mounting and balancing was perfect. And I did have a small issue while driving that resulted in driving the car extremely hard, car chase... Not that I did anything wrong, couple carjackers tried to steal the car haha. I did notice that 100 plus the wheel didn't shake as much.

That could be a drivetrain vibration. Could be a u-joint going out or perhaps a loose transmission mount.. I'd check everything (nut and bolt; check torque on all fasteners) every point the transmission and rear end meets the car.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Hold on, did anyone notice he said car chase?!?! I want to hear about this?

I also second drive train. The driveshaft or u-joints will cause issues like this that could go away when the rotation gets fast enough. You could try jacking up the rear end, unbolt the driveshaft and turn it 90degrees, then bolt it back up. Sometimes the driveshaft isnt in perfect phase with the rear end and itll cause similar issues.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score

I also second drive train. The driveshaft or u-joints will cause issues like this that could go away when the rotation gets fast enough. You could try jacking up the rear end, unbolt the driveshaft and turn it 90degrees, then bolt it back up. Sometimes the driveshaft isnt in perfect phase with the rear end and itll cause similar issues.

Exactly.. Re-clock the driveshaft is simple enough...

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
I think I figured out my steering wobble and shake. My sway bar bushings are original. The steering wheel had a small shimmy at 55-65mph. It will stop if I was making a slight turn at those speeds. Also my swaybar end links could be possible culprit as well. It was extra hot today and shimmy was worse than in the morning, so it has to be rubber related. What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score

Long story short I got on the highway and some car full of undesirables followed me 10 miles. At one point the speedo was almost pegged at 140. All I have in the car is a baseball bat. It was almost 2 am. I didn't want to find out if they were strapped or not. Honestly between the HCI, cobra brakes and subframe connectors, that car saved my life. But yeah that was my first run in like that. Only way I lost em was going through every red light and stop sign lol. I about hit a Jeep head on at 70. If I had the stock brakes I would've been paint on the sidewalk.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Now do I actually pull the driveshaft out? Or just unbolt and turn? Wait duh, just turn. Nvm haha

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Long story short I got on the highway and some car full of undesirables followed me 10 miles. At one point the speedo was almost pegged at 140. All I have in the car is a baseball bat. It was almost 2 am. I didn't want to find out if they were strapped or not. Honestly between the HCI, cobra brakes and subframe connectors, that car saved my life. But yeah that was my first run in like that. Only way I lost em was going through every red light and stop sign lol. I about hit a Jeep head on at 70. If I had the stock brakes I would've been paint on the sidewalk.

Cool story bro; baseball bats don't stop bullets

Above118

Reaction score
Ive recently had this same issue with my 14.....turned out to be a warped pass side rotor. might be something to look into if the other options listed before are all good.

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score

That's crazy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
albertmarshall7752

Members online