Steering wheels

joe65

Reaction score
So i absolutely hate the stock steering wheel in my car. Mostly because its worn around the top but i don't like the color also. So i'm wondering if anyone has some good alternatives? Mine is the worn out version of this.
upload_2020-2-27_13-53-46.png

I like the replica FR500 wheel that LMR and AM sell, but have never seen one in person. So i'm not sure how it feels. But it looks good.

upload_2020-2-27_13-49-10.png

Our new Tiguan has this one, which i really like. Feels great and looks good.
upload_2020-2-27_13-50-30.png
Its the 1st flat bottom steering wheel I've used and if i could put it in my mustang with a ford emblem i would. lol

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the fr's do look and feel better. You can always go a little custom by picking what colors you want in leather and string and then wrapping it yourself Redline leathers makes a kit that makes it pretty easy. Just figure an hour or two one night in front of the tv and it can absolutely change the look and feel

PinkieT

Reaction score
I doubt if the horn, air bag, and cruise control connections on the Tiguan steering wheel would be compatible with the stock Mustang wiring. I have had good luck at boneyards picking up decent steering wheels. Check Cougars as well as Mustangs, IIRC they are the same except for the branding on the air bags. Another option is finding somebody on line who is parting out a Mustang with a black interior, try Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace. You might be able to re-use your stock air bag if you dye it. Good luck!

OP
OP
joe65

joe65

Reaction score
I doubt if the horn, air bag, and cruise control connections on the Tiguan steering wheel would be compatible with the stock Mustang wiring. I have had good luck at boneyards picking up decent steering wheels. Check Cougars as well as Mustangs, IIRC they are the same except for the branding on the air bags. Another option is finding somebody on line who is parting out a Mustang with a black interior, try Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace. You might be able to re-use your stock air bag if you dye it. Good luck!

good idea. I think i'm heading to the pullnpay saturday. I'll to see what i might find.

PinkieT

Reaction score
I goofed. The Thunderbird steering wheel is the same as the Mustang, not the Cougar.

OP
OP
joe65

joe65

Reaction score
could be alright. The thing to me is it has the round airbag center. Doesn't really relate to the sn95 interior. Nothing is circular in ours. the new mustangs starting with s197's have round vents, gauges etc....

this is a nice wheel...not going to argue.
upload_2020-2-28_8-46-18.png

I did find a 03 cobra wheel that i might just pick up. Much better than the wheel i have for sure.

Attachments

• upload_2020-2-28_8-59-25.png
    upload_2020-2-28_8-59-25.png
    811.3 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
idunno its what you make of it really. The gauges are round, the headlight switch, the heat/ac knobs. When I see it in this pic it doesn't look horrible in my mind.
upload_2020-2-27_13-49-10-png.3222

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have honestly never seen a custom/aftermarket wheel that I really thought looked good in our cars myself. I think the majority of the aftermarkets when you take out the airbag it leave a BIG space between the hub and the steering column behind it. Even with a well done cover it always looked like an afterthought to me. While I do not like the price of the redline wheels I do like that they are different and yet still fit well. He obviously isn't making that wheel himself and is getting it somewhere. It might be from a euro-spec ford since he is in poland but if you could find the source of the wheel you could probably find one cheaper and then cover it if needed.

OP
OP
joe65

joe65

Reaction score
Yeah i struck out over the weekend at the pull n pay. they had 4 sn95 mustangs but they were all v6 cars. No good steering wheels or even seats i could pull for cheap while i have mine redone or replaced.

OP
OP
joe65

joe65

Reaction score
I got an extra wheel I can sell ya for cheap if this is your plan.

Is it a black wheel? I think i've kinda settled my mind on a 03-04 cobra wheel long term. I think its just basically a gt wheel that is leather wrapped.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am pretty sure its grey but need to check, for some stupid reason I think I have a black and a grey on... But if your getting it recovered it doesn't matter what color you start with. I would just keep the wheel you have on it now, recover the one I send you and then swap them.

OP
OP
joe65

joe65

Reaction score
cool, no rush on this, let me know when you have the chance to take a look at it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarthur1995