Steering wheels

Tillerman77

Reaction score
Old thread alert.

I decided to post here versus starting a new thread to add my LMR FR500 Black wheel with a saddle tan interior. I did not like the wraps which did not match the specific shade of brown of the OEM, so opted to go two tone instead of hating my worn OEM wheel any longer. Feels great and it works for me when there wasn't a better option that I could find.
The only glitch was the new wheel was centered at 11 o'clock whereas the OEM wheel was perfect at 12 noon. A wheel alignment resolved that issue. I suspect the milling of the flats on the hub were a degree or 2 different than on the stock wheel.
sPUGhonWg7iNoS3pkboxmK4=w1101-h620-s-no?authuser=0.jpg
jTFHuqCueep86n8N8lmZREM=w1101-h620-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

TrickVert

Reaction score
I never came back here to post pics of mine...

IMG_20220703_170502092.jpg

IMG_20220703_170439565.jpg

I finally figured that the Foxbody wheel and trim was black in my '87 (which was red w/ gray interior), so why not this one? I love the way it looks (and feels)!

Oh, and mine is off just a little as well. One of these days I'll put a half turn on both tie rods, and that should straighten it up.

Last edited:

TrickVert

Reaction score
The first test would be to measure the steering shaft diameter and spline count where the wheel mounts. That might tell the whole story. But then there would be the backside diameter - would it fit the existing trim? Electrical connections would be the next hurdle.

OP
OP
joe65

joe65

Reaction score
Interesting. i was thinking about getting my replacement steering wheel on my car. I like those fr500's. I just found a good condition stock black one for mine.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
@white95 - Are those quick-release type?

On a side note: Do you have a write-up on your "digital dash" conversion? (And no dash-clock pod?)

Yes, I’m using NRG’s quick release and hub on both wheels.

The dash interfaces directly to the Holley EFI ecu and is mounted in a Steinmann Performance cluster.

Getting rid of the dash clock was as “simple” as swapping to an 98-04 dash.

TrickVert

Reaction score
Thanks for the gauge info.

I knew the new-edge models had no clock, but I didn't realize it was dropped for '98. (I won't ditch mine, as it's now my boost gauge.)

OK, back to steering wheels! :)

GTamas

Reaction score
Old thread alert.

I decided to post here versus starting a new thread to add my LMR FR500 Black wheel with a saddle tan interior. I did not like the wraps which did not match the specific shade of brown of the OEM, so opted to go two tone instead of hating my worn OEM wheel any longer. Feels great and it works for me when there wasn't a better option that I could find.
The only glitch was the new wheel was centered at 11 o'clock whereas the OEM wheel was perfect at 12 noon. A wheel alignment resolved that issue. I suspect the milling of the flats on the hub were a degree or 2 different than on the stock wheel.
View attachment 27745
View attachment 27746
Is the FR500 wheel the same size as the stock, or it's smaller in diameter?

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
My car didn’t come with ABS or traction control, so airbags are definitely a keeper.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I was determined to keep my airbags but I discovered metal part of the under dash got bent when the pass side went off and I am not even sure how I could pound it back into shape. I still have abs, but we die like men in my car with no pillows....

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
I love the FR500 style wheel. Problem is they come black (or charcoal) and I don't think you can drop a black item into the 99-00 parchment interior and not have it stick out like a sore thumb. Very little is black.

Does anyone have one with 99+ parchment?

1692125497236.png

TrickVert

Reaction score
If you used SEM to dye the airbag and top/bottom shaft trim pieces black (like I did), I think it would pull out the black of the gauges and center stack, but mine has the added black of the instrument surround and dash pad as well. Perhaps some photoshop is called for here. (I'd want to see what it looks like with the instrument surround black as well, but I don't have high expectations.)

You might be stuck. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
If you used SEM to dye the airbag and top/bottom shaft trim pieces black (like I did), I think it would pull out the black of the gauges and center stack, but mine has the added black of the instrument surround and dash pad as well. Perhaps some photoshop is called for here. (I'd want to see what it looks like with the instrument surround black as well, but I don't have high expectations.)

You might be stuck. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I hated that Ford did that. It’s supposed to be symmetrical! I painted mine red to match the factory passenger airbag, and the rest of the oem two toned interior. Originally I thought it was so Ford could cheap out, and just make one for all, but they literally wrapped the door cards in two different patterns of vinyl, when later on, they just left it plastic, like the rest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UnknownArmy

Members online