Steps for anyone needing to re-attach their rear window defroster using solder

steveeoaktree

Reaction score
One of the many little things wrong with my 'ol Blue 98 was the rear defroster clip/wire hanging instead of being attached to the window. Here's how I did it. If anyone has previously used that glue stuff, remove it, but be careful not to damage or score the lines or attach points. If it's just the solder there, clean it with a pencil eraser as best as you can. Heat the clip with the soldering iron, (be careful of course!) and dab the solder on the opposite end and it'll run to the heat. When it's coated across the clip, let her cool. I used a multi-screwdriver with no bit inside it to hold the clip onto the window, and heat it with the soldering iron until you feel it level or slightly flatten the solder. Let her cool and reattach the connector. This has always worked well for me, but I am surely not an expert of any degree. Hope it helps someone!

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Soldering is notorious for not mixing well with windows...

For my focus I went down to a local parts store and bought a defroster repair kit. The kit was like $10 and included connector repair and defroster line repair.
Scuff both surfaces, clean with the alcohol, mix the epoxy or whatever it is, and apply. Was super easy and has worked great.

JKady

Reaction score
Yeah putting pinpoint heat like that on tempered glass is playing with fire, really easy to shatter it due to the window rapidly expanding at one very fine point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online