Stick vs auto for high hp

cameron57

Reaction score
Looking at building a transmission for my car for the future. But I can't make up my mind. Sticks have more gears for same money but autos will hold more power. And to get a stick to hold the power I want sounds like there kind of a pain to drive. What's your thoughts?
Cameron

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Looking at building a transmission for my car for the future. But I can't make up my mind. Sticks have more gears for same money but autos will hold more power. And to get a stick to hold the power I want sounds like there kind of a pain to drive. What's your thoughts?
Cameron

Where did you get the "autos will hold more power" part from? This is news to me? What kind of power are talking about?

OP
OP
cameron57

cameron57

Reaction score
Th400 or glide will hold more power than any stickshift i know of other than a lenco.

OP
OP
cameron57

cameron57

Reaction score
Im mostly going to street drive this car. It would be nice dou some auto x with occasional trip to drag strip. But auto x with a 2-3 speed doesnt seem like it would work well. T56 thats faceplated or proshifted doesnt sound like it would work well either. But yes auto hold more hp thats why most cars faster than 10 seconds have one.

castine917

Reaction score
1000 rwhp through a stick and then converted to auto would be closer to 925 rwhp. At the dragstrip the auto usually will be more consistent. At an auto cross the stick I believe to be more common as you can hold a gear through a corner. If you go full manual on an auto you may find the combination of features you want. An option I would suggest considering = tci 6 speed auto with controller. http://www.tciauto.com/tc/transmission-packageshtml/?main=3

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, I'm sort of sensing a conflict of interest here. Meaning this: you are running power for a drag racing car. So auto is probably the way to go. But yet you are talking about Auto-X, so I'm not really sure of your goals. (Plus, 1000 rwhp for an Auto-X just, frankly, sounds like a really bad idea - if you are going to road race it, jesus christ, you better have god's own suspension on that thing and god's own feet for your pedal modulation. Talk about a scary ride :dread: ). Now, for a drag car, okay 1000 rwhp. I get it.

I think I'd break it down like this:
  • If you are going to drag, then for sure auto. With as many gears as you need to be top end at the end of strip. If you can do that with 1 gear, then do that. 2 or 3 gears? Okay. The more gears the worse, you don't want to shift in drag racing
  • If you are going to auto-x/road race your car, then you will want more gearing to take advantage of the various speeds on the track. The more gears, the more close your ratio's can be, the better. Talking about 6 speeds here - most likely manual. Although, you might be able to find an "automatic" (as in no clutch pedal) trans that's shifted manually, a la rally cars, etc. I shudder to think of the cost though.
  • If you want to drag race and road race, then....I guess pick which one you want to be worse at, and pick the trans for the other one. There really isn't a compromise, especially not if you are talking about that level of power.

For what it's worth, RichV (I think it was RichV) posted a vid awhile back of a bad ass Mustang and a GT-R going at it on a road race track. It was magical. The Mustang had, IIRC, something like ~700 rwhp. And it was a monster. Literally. It was balls fast, plus the driver, who must have been very skilled, was doing all he could to keep that car on the track. I'm talking balls fast, like in the straight it just walked away from the GT-R. Pure magic. And that's with something like ~300 rwhp less than your plans. Your car, with that much power, on a road race track, I have to imagine would be very difficult to drive. Just food for thought.

OP
OP
cameron57

cameron57

Reaction score
C4s and 4rws are more likely to break. 4r would be nice but there very pricey.

OP
OP
cameron57

cameron57

Reaction score
And i say drag mostly street or a roll. Not much interest in a cage for this car anyways. Mostly would be street only but i love turning hints the autox. Might go to the strip once just to see what it will do. Hope that helps clarify.

badsheep5.0

Reaction score
They way I look at it it's all about what your doing with your car if your going to drag race go auto may be boring to drive but you will never miss a gear and will be consistent autocross or things like that stick in my opinion plus stick is a more fun driver then put it in gear and go

castine917

Reaction score
Not my car. Goes by jaysch302 on corral.Your desires sound some what similar to what he has going on but, with even more power. He's around 770 there. 95 GT 331ci, T-76 770whp/675tq 10.60@138

[video=youtube_share;_MNsgy8mclw]http://youtu.be/_MNsgy8mclw[/video]

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Not my car. Goes by jaysch302 on corral.Your desires sound some what similar to what he has going on but, with even more power. He's around 770 there. 95 GT 331ci, T-76 770whp/675tq 10.60@138

[video=youtube_share;_MNsgy8mclw]http://youtu.be/_MNsgy8mclw[/video]

Jesus what a rush. :) I think he had it up to around 155 on one of the straights. Talk about intense. This kind of proves my point though. A lot harder to control. I'm not there, and I can't see his speed on each of the turns or how well he hits his apexes, but to me it seems like he just dallies through the corners to get to the straight, then floors it. Rinse, repeat. Now imagine doing that with ~300 more rwhp. He almost lost control of his car at ~155, you can see it getting squirrely from the front end lift. That car needs a lot more aero and a lot more brakes to be at those speeds (and maybe suspension, don't know what he's running).

I will admit though that watching those other cars go by like they are parked sure is intoxicating. Having said that, I'd like to see him vs a properly set up SN95 with around ~500rwhp.

castine917

Reaction score
He's looking for better brakes.

He posted "13" Cobra R 4 piston Plain 13" rotors (I ran slotted brembo rotors prior) didn't notice a difference
Carbotech XP12s pads
3" Cooling Ducts with plate to direct air to rotor hat

Cobra rear 11.65" stock rotors
Carbotech XP8's
3" Cooling ducts

Castrol SRF brake fluid
93 Cobra 1" Master cylinder
Braided lines front, rear, and middle
new stock brake booster

03 Cobra wheel replica (super heavy)
17x9 275/40/17 Nitto NT01
17x10.5 315/35/17 Nitto NT01"

"The sampling rate of that gps was a little slow i dont think it could keep up. On back stretch it was gps reading 178. 4th gear calculates out to 167 at redline, 5th gear redline is 203. It didnt hit redline in 5th but it was really close to it."

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
"The sampling rate of that gps was a little slow i dont think it could keep up. On back stretch it was gps reading 178. 4th gear calculates out to 167 at redline, 5th gear redline is 203. It didnt hit redline in 5th but it was really close to it."

:shitbricks:

spank 141

Reaction score
Auto with manual valve body the best of both worlds. Manual valve bodies only shift when you move the lever. You can be in any gear you want. They are not expensive but when a building a 1000 rwhp car money shouldn't be an issue

DavidBoren

Reaction score
Nothing about 1000rwhp sounds remotely easy to drive, unless you're ken block dancing around in the 800+hp AWD Hoonicorn.

I think a properly built auto with a manual valve body is your best bet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
albertmarshall7752

Members online

No members online now.