Stock coil springs... any way to tell if they are original?

b1pig

Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge, my 94 GT Convertible is pretty close to OEM in a lot of places.
The next thing to get replaced are the rear shocks. Right now, the front feels pretty good, but as soon as I get new rear shocks, I'm sure any float or wobble that I didn't feel over the rear end will become evident.....
So, here is my situation.

The car is sitting on OEM GT 5 spokes. The ride height appears pretty close to original with maybe a little sag.
The rear shocks are gone. Even when I'm alone in the car if I ride over rolling bumps on the highway, bridge joints, etc, the rear end will almost always thump down on the bump stops. There is obvious bounce after, so I know the shocks are ready for the trash. Then the thought came, wondering if someone previous to me through they'd slip a set of hard top coils under it to lower it or something. I know the vert is a little heavier, so the spring rate should be a tad higher. (???)

Is there any way to tell if the coils ARE original to the car?
Jeep/Dodge/Ram/etc used to put part# tags on the coils. Easy to tell if they were original (or on the correct side of the vehicle in some cases) so long as the tags were still there. With this thing, I'm just guessing. I'll be ordering some shocks soon. Right now, I don't think I want to lay out money for new coils. I'm not looking for race ready upgrades. I don't mind a little soft ride. Mine is just a back road cruiser.

1664758517290.png

Pic for reference....... it doesn't look lowered to me.
I'm also used to driving Jeeps with long travel suspension since like 2002. My estimation of how much compression SHOULD be available is likely to be far from accurate. :)

Last edited:

GTR

Reaction score
Best bet is to replace the shocks and see if that cures the issue. From the pic it looks stock to me. Bad shocks can cause all sorts of problems.
If shocks don’t fix it I have a set of ‘94 vert springs.

NEURON

Reaction score
Mine has tags on them, but bad weather could eradicate them. Easy to replace on the back though. I would just get some new ones.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online