Stock fuel pump

Discussion in '96-04 - 2V Specific' started by SN90FiveOh, May 10, 2016.

1. SN90FiveOh

SN90FiveOh Active Member

Does anyone know what the max HP on a 96 GT fuel pump would be? I've never had a problem with mine but I'm about to put my bigger injectors in and I'm wondering if I need a bigger pump. My car is staying NA and will be around 350 HP hopefully

2. 96blak54

96blak54 Legend

Should be ok cause the cobra's used the same pump for 24lb'rs. Better to update given the years of life.

3. ttocs

ttocs Legend

I can say that I was fine till I added heads/cam/24lb/hr and then when I had it tuned he said that I was nearly at the limit of the pump/stock fuel gear.

4. JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz Well-Known Member

i am looking into the aeromotive 340lph return style drop in pump. I am still on my original and I feel any day now it can give out. Might as well upgrade to something nice.

5. ttocs

ttocs Legend

that is what I just dropped in. You will need to install a relay to account for the extra current and should really run a 12 awg wire to support power for it.

6. JerZeyStangz

Is this for the 94-95 or 96-97? I am not really familiar with electrical terminology but I kind of understand what your saying. Where would need to beef it up?

7. ttocs

ttocs Legend

its needed for any car that plans on supporting the hp it can. This is from their site.

10.) Q: I heard that to use the 340 Stealth Pump you have to upgrade the OEM factory fuel pump wiring, and possibly the relay and fuse/breaker, is this true and why?
    A: The wiring used to power the fuel pump plays a key role in supporting the electric motor that runs the pumping mechanism. It’s the combination of motor torque and the pumping mechanism speed it produces that enable the incredible flow the Stealth 340 is known for. The factory fuel pump wiring and electrical components were engineered for a fuel pump drawing ¼ to ½ the current. Failure to upgrade this wiring, including the relay and breaker/fuse assembly, may result in a substantial reduction in performance of the new 340 Stealth.
    The 340 Stealth Fuel Pump is a break-through in OEM replacement fuel pump technology. It is capable of flowing 33% more than conventional, performance replacement fuel pumps, and as much as 100%-300% more than the vehicles original pump. For proper installation and to ensure the optimum performance and service life, please see the installation instructions on page 2 to view the flow and current draw at pressure chart, and the bottom of page 3 for wiring recommendations. Ensure proper wiring, your new 340 Pump, and your engine, depend on it!
    NOTE: For specific wiring kit recommendations, see FAQ #16.

You can add the relay at the tank, but you really need to upgrade the wiring going to it as well back to the battery. Now realistically it will not need the extra amperage until you really have that thing working but its still better to do it sooner then later. Worst case scenario as long as you do NOT increase the fuse in the box(and we should NEVER do this) it will pop the fuse but if you blew a fuse, and then put a bigger one in you could melt the wiring going to the pump.

8. JerZeyStangz

Did you take pictures of when you installed yours? I would like to see.

9. ttocs

ttocs Legend

its actually not mounted or connected yet. Its close to my list of things to do but all that gets put off mainly because I know I have the relay and it will only take a few seconds to do sincs wiring is my thang. How familiar are you with relays? I can give your the schematicks of what to connect to where if you understand that there are small numbers printed next to the pins on the relay to tell you what is what. There is also a drawing on the side that shows what each pin goes to. I can give you a list of what wires go to what pins or if you want i am going to be wiring one relay up I could wire up 2nd that would make it easier for you naturally. You would need to pay for the parts/shipping but you would need all of those anyway. Relays are normally $15-20 for a cheap high current relays but not sure what your budget is. I use insulated spade connectors and solder all connections when I can. If you do not have a battery in the back then we will need to run a 12 awg wire to the battery(fused at 30 amps to start but this can be increased to 40 if needed). Try to keep that fuse holder where you can get at it to change if you need too.

10. JerZeyStangz

I am super noob to anything electrical. You probably have to make a write-up on how to accomplish this task. Right now I have only bolt-on's so chances of me over utilizing the pump is slim to none. When I go the forced induction route down the road I will definitely upgrade the wiring. I need to replace the oem one because its whining loud and sounds like its on its last leg. Sigh.