Stock gauge cluster is partially broken (94 GT)

ReplicaR

Reaction score
I am having an issue with the stock gauge cluster. I've recently pulled it out, and replaced the clear bezel, and after I installed it, trip meter and odometer aren't working at all. On top of this, the oil pressure gauge drops to nothing any time I get near full throttle. I know that pressure is fine, because I also have a set of AutoMeter gauges, so I'm pretty sure that something is up with gauge cluster. I have tried to take it out again, and make sure that plugs are not loose, but that didn't help, so the question is then, what do I do now? I have seen warrantied used clusters on ebay for around 150 dollars. I also have heard that you can get gauges serviced. Maybe some other troubleshooting that I can perform?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
look at the connection between the harnesses. I thought we had someone that found the way the side was on the gauges that there are copper traces that can lift a little bit and get out of alignment when the harness goes in.

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Do you mean those lines that are printed on the film on the back of the gauge cluster?

Werecow

Reaction score
Agree with @ttocs, if it was working before I'd check the contacts on the cluster where it plugs in. Those are very sensitive and brittle and can lift from the plastic they are printed on very easily..

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Interesting. Sounds like I need a new cluster in either case.

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
So a slight update. The oil pressure gauge part of the issue was fixed, because the sending unit was cracked and leaking. So, now I just need to fix the odometer and trip meter. I'll probably remove the cluster in near future, and take a closer look at the connectors, see if something is screwed up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Staff online

Members online