Stock H-Pipe VS BBK

mattmathis

Reaction score
Ok, my 94 GT has the stock headers, and stock H-Pipe with the cats removed, and 40 series flowmasters. How much difference would a BBK H-Pipe make? Thanks!

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would say minimal. Especially since you still have the stock headers.
Your stock cats are gutted so basically you already have an o/r H. Any small gain will be because the BBK is mandrel bent and slightly larger. 2 1/4" stock exhaust- 2 1/2" BBK.
If you can get one cheap then I say go ahead and get it. It will bolt directly up to you stock headers.

OP
OP
mattmathis

mattmathis

Reaction score
Ok ok that's kind of what I was thinking. What's the best way to get more of that low rumble? Get the bbk headers and h?

Your stock cats are gutted so basically you already have an o/r H. Any small gain will be because the BBK is mandrel bent and slightly larger. 2 1/4" stock exhaust- 2 1/2" BBK.
If you can get one cheap then I say go ahead and get it. It will bolt directly up to you stock headers.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
If you want low end rumble. You can run turndowns but it will get old quick.

If you want to grab a set of headers you can with the o/r H and run the flows turn downed. Do it where they just have clamp on turn down pipes so you can put your tailpipes back on.

or try a Borla S Type mufflers

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Ck out youtube for exhaust clips.
dynomax, flowmaster, bassani, borla, pypes, etc. the list goes on and on.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
+1 the H-pipe will add low, "muscle car-esque " rumble.. Personally, I prefer a MAC Prochamber/MAC Catback combo for a mixture of a low-rumble and a sexy snarl at WOT.

Although the gains are minimal, you'll gain the valuable knowledge. Just imagine the experience of fighting rusted/frozen collector nuts, bending a midpipe to properly fit [without leaking] and potentialy cursing yourself out for NOT using a O2 sensor socket and screwing up the wiring. Ahhh, it's a right of passage dude!!! You laugh but it's not uncommon to have something unexplicably go wrong when taking OEM items apart.

Oh, and each part you ever upgrade in hopes of gaining power will highlight another restriction to making this elusive power. There will always be another bottleneck!!

OP
OP
mattmathis

mattmathis

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input! I have heard clips of the bbk h pipe that I liked. I think that's what brought me to it in the first place. I don't know if it was the fact it was in H pipe or that it was bbk. There's so many combos its hard to tell. So generally speaking...

From what I've read, an H gives more low sound while I've heard the X compared to higher Euro sound. Is this true?

Would a h pipe and larger catback make more difference in sound (low/rumble wise) than headers and an H?

I've seen a lot of people say that after market headers/manifold are not worth it. Is this ture?

Thanks!

410sn95

Reaction score
OEM your car comes with tubular headers. Not the best and are kinked, but they are not the restriction in the system. Put your money elsewhere for now.

The top end is currently your biggest restriction.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Get an offroad X, MAC Flowpath mufflers... Thats what I run with longtubes, its beefy, and LOUD AS ****

OP
OP
mattmathis

mattmathis

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

By top end you mean motor? I'm going to either put a crate in or have mine rebuilt with my bonus next year. But that's for another thread. Right now I just want more presence.

410sn95

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

By top end you mean motor? I'm going to either put a crate in or have mine rebuilt with my bonus next year. But that's for another thread. Right now I just want more presence.

Yes. Intake and heads are the restriction and better flowing headers are not really needed until you address the top end.

OP
OP
mattmathis

mattmathis

Reaction score
Ok, can't wait to do that. but until then... one more question.
If i keep my flowmasters and stock headers for now. And get a 2.5 inch H pipe and tails. Esentially making it 2.5 all the way the way back instead of 2.25. how much difference in sound will that make?

RichV

Reaction score
Prochamber + no mufflers = awesome!! :D

Mustanger

Reaction score
look also at the BBK H pipe...it fits well right out of the box, my shop loved installing it. Two piece is normal.

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
I just picked up a BBK O/R H pipe for $85. Cant wait to swap it out and see how much difference itll be with my magnapack catback.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online