Stock Intake Question???

Paul94gt

Reaction score
Are the stock 94/95 GT lower intakes the same as a Cobra/Explorer intake? I am debating grabbing a explorer intake and having the lower ported out. Along with swapping it to a Fox style T-Body/throttle linkage setup.

Thanks!!!

RichV

Reaction score
No.

Cobravsstock.jpg

OP
OP
P

Paul94gt

Reaction score
OK thanks. I will probably grab a Explorer Intake in the near future. Then send the lower off to TMoss. The long term goal is to put a Kenne Belle on the car. That is why I want that style intake.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have a lower that has had some port work done on it already that I can part with. It just needs some smoothing out and I could even knock that out if you want as I just finished porting/polishing the upper/lower on mine.
IMG_20150313_011403145.jpg

And with a little bit of work it can look like mine
thb_1231781431123825-d7515ae2d0.jpg

87hurricane

Reaction score
So can anyone explain the advantage to going to a fox throttle body setup, other than not having to use a adapter elbow? I guess if you don't plan on keeping your egr it wouldnt be so bad, but otherwise its seems like kind of a hassle for no real gain.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Better throttle response, looks cleaner, more options for throttle bodies.

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I always hear this "better throttle response" and would love to see some data proving it. I think its just a quote that became popular for the swap so people can say they felt a difference.

OP
OP
P

Paul94gt

Reaction score
I wish I could swing it now. But I am in the middle of stocking up parts for suspension and brake upgrades. Engine stuff is going to happen over the Winter or into early Spring.

That does look sweet.

As for the Fox vs. SN95 T-Body deal.... If I am not mistaken, the SN95 cars have a more progressive sweep in the throtttle linkage than the Fox. But I am not certain on any of it. Just something I have read in several different places.

RichV

Reaction score
If you're doing a KB style blower, it does not matter. The t/b setup will all be changed anyway right?

BTW, the heads is where you need to put some attention. And intake does not do a whole lot with stock heads. But when you HCI that 5.0, adding a s/c will put you at the limit of the internals. Just something to think about.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If you're doing a KB style blower, it does not matter. The t/b setup will all be changed anyway right?

BTW, the heads is where you need to put some attention. And intake does not do a whole lot with stock heads. But when you HCI that 5.0, adding a s/c will put you at the limit of the internals. Just something to think about.

+1

However h/c/I will allow less stress on the motor as far as psi goes from the blower to make the same power.

i.e.:
8 pound pulley with hci makes 400 horse (for reference only, not actual numbers)
But without h/c/I it might take a 12 pound pulley to make that same amount of power. in other words, more pressure, more stress.

food for thought.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
+1

However h/c/I will allow less stress on the motor as far as psi goes from the blower to make the same power.

i.e.:
8 pound pulley with hci makes 400 horse (for reference only, not actual numbers)
But without h/c/I it might take a 12 pound pulley to make that same amount of power. in other words, more pressure, more stress.

food for thought.

Your saying a car with better flowing heads/cam combo will make less power with boost?

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Better hci setup is more efficient. Takes less boost to make same horse. Kinda how a turbo makes more power with less boost because turbo is more efficient.

Nuttinbutcrumbs

Reaction score
How about this. I had my stock lower ported for around $300 and I gained 18 rwhp. At the time I was on the fence between an explorer intake and having my stock lower ported. Well I searched and searched but at the time the going rate for a used explorer was $300ish and then I would've had to spend another $60 or so on the elbow adapter. So I opted for the porting and I feel it was money well spent. It came back all cleaned up and painted w a new windage tray.
Speaking of boost. My setup is e7's, .512 lift cam, stock intake w the exception of the ported lower and a Vortech 6-8lb kit. It makes 332 rwhp and 334 tq. When it was n/a with the .512 cam and stock intake it made 205 rwhp and after the intake was ported it made 223. At any rate if a guy doesn't see a head swap in the near future, having the lower ported is a good option unless you can find a one of the dirt cheap explorer intakes that everyone talks about. I didn't have any luck finding the dirt cheap ones..

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a fox upper and lower that's been extrune hone ported.

Guy I got it from use to grudge race in the outlaw class. It would drive people nuts when they looked under his hood and everything looked bone stock.

Motor was a stroker. Not sure of heads but I know they were cast iron. Car was a beast to say the least.

Really pisses people off to get beat by what appears to be a stock setup unknowing that it's flowing as well or better then they're high dollar motors.

Nuttinbutcrumbs

Reaction score
I've got a fox upper and lower that's been extrune hone ported.

Guy I got it from use to grudge race in the outlaw class. It would drive people nuts when they looked under his hood and everything looked bone stock.

Motor was a stroker. Not sure of heads but I know they were cast iron. Car was a beast to say the least.

Really pisses people off to get beat by what appears to be a stock setup unknowing that it's flowing as well or better then they're high dollar motors.

True. But really it's all about matching the heads and intake.
For example a "race" intake that can make power up to 7k rpms wouldn't be all that good to use on a set of stock e7's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online