Stock stroke vs stroker hp comparison

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Nice video comparison of 2 very alike N/A engines, only stroke being the difference.

Regardless of engine make, this video proves gaining hp by stroking an engine is a waste. Intake valve size sets the hp potential. Using the same head for both engines achieve the same hp.

Prime example?
4.6l vs 5.4l or 302 vs 351 with the same head set up. No magic hp power is had with more cubes. Although torque is greater! But does the added weight prove it's worth?

https://youtu.be/vPBs_QB6ubI

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The video explains at the end exactly what it means. The cost difference is minimal between doing a standard build or stroker.

4.6 to 5.4 and 302 to 351 isn't the same comparisons cause they are completely different motors.

Here is the biggest thing to remember tho, most people building strokers aren't taking the same heads and cams from their smaller displacement motor and using it. That's not going to make much difference at all. But at the same time putting the bigger heads and cam for the stroker onto a stock displacement motor isn't really gonna gain you much either.

I woudnt put a set of afr 220's on my old 302 just as I woudnt put my e7's on the 418 I'm gonna build.

Yes they made an apples to apples comparison in the video but even as the one guy asked, what was the point of it?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Intake valve hole size dictates hp. Same hole size on any engine combo will net the same hp potential. Potential being key word here.

A 4.6l engine with stock heads, mounted then on a 5.4l will net same hp. A 4.6l with 4v heads, mount them on a 5.4l will net same hp.

289 engine maxed 300hp with afr heads, mount the same heads on a 351,...it will net same hp, however at a lower rpm.

Torque output is the only gain

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Intake valve hole size dictates hp. Same hole size on any engine combo will net the same hp potential. Potential being key word here.

A 4.6l engine with stock heads, mounted then on a 5.4l will net same hp. A 4.6l with 4v heads, mount them on a 5.4l will net same hp.

289 engine maxed 300hp with afr heads, mount the same heads on a 351,...it will net same hp, however at a lower rpm.

Torque output is the only gain

Aren't you the same guy who just built an 18.1 to 1 compression ratio 5.4 in hopes of building an absolute torque monster?!?? This feels like you trying to totally unjustify what you built!! [emoji23]

Same heads but longer stroke means more air and fuel are drawn in on the downstroke which means more powerful explosion on the combustion stroke. This is where your ample torque comes from. Then the idea of better flowing heads added gives you the more efficient exit of said leftovers after combustion which creates horsepower.

Put the 2 together and you have more hp and trq!!! Isn't that the idea overall??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
It is the idea! Im not disputing you. More power is the goal!

"When using the same heads"

Its popular to stroke an engine for more power. Its as easy as ordering a kit, swap out the guts, and run it. Only thing is....torque will be the only gain and less rpm to boot. The intake valve hole size is the orfice to the swept volume of piston on the intake stroke. This is the wall for power gaining.

Same intake valve hole size used with a 100cuin engine or 500cuin of same type engine, only stroke/bore being the differences, will net the same hp. Torque will be the variation.

My build is far to extreme and I wanted to pursue the compression possibility because the modular 5.4l can achieve such a static compression ratio were most all engines cant. Im not finished with it untill the heads are off.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online