Stock tailpipes??

scootin95gts

Reaction score
On my gt i have flowmasters and i dont know if the whole catback is aftermarket....did stock gts's come with black tailpipes? also i have an o/f hpipe and flow..also underdrive pulleys,egr del,smog del and cai...what would be a good next upgrade? i was thinking headers and 70mmtb....any other upgrades if u think are better feel free to tell O0

thorco3

Reaction score
nah stock tailpipes would be 2.25 stainless tailpipes.

some other things you could consider would be gears (maybe 3.73's or 4.10's), headers would be nice as well. I don't know about the popularity of tuners for 5.0's but I had an xcal2 tune for my sixer and that was a very nice component also.

otherwise i'm a 5.0 newbie... but i'm sure some other guys will chime in :drunk:

95five-oh

Reaction score
I wouldn't bother with headers on a mostly stock car, you won't see hardly any gain with aftermarket shorties. LT's will be an improvement but itll mean a new H-pipe. I'd get gears or an intake manifold. I plan to do both soon.

Pennywise2

Reaction score
If you still have the stock catback a Flowmaster catback
would sound really nice! :thumb:

OP
OP
S

scootin95gts

Reaction score
well i got flows on it now and h-pipe and i wanted heades for sound aswell as perf. on the intake side should i get a 70mmtb first then upper intake?on intakes i like the trickflow in black but the frpp cobra would look good on my 95

SVTGizzi

Reaction score
trickflow has a badass intake but i think its too much for the stock heads...i dont think theres much of a point because the heads will choke it off anyways. i was thinkin of goin with the stock cobra intake myself as a minor upgrade, but dont do a tb until u do intake-u will barely see any gain from 65 to 70 mm on the stock intake, but i think that is the size of the opening on the cobra intake so it will help you out there

G_94_T

Reaction score
best bang for the buck is gears......hands down........you can thank me later

purplehaze

Reaction score
go with the gears, brings the car to life.if daily driver with highway use 3.73 or 3.90's. 4.10 for daily but minimum highway,revs to high.i have 3.73's but should of gone 3.90 or 3.89 to get the best of both worlds!get gears!! :thumb:

Win

Legend
Reaction score
G_94_T said:
best bang for the buck is gears......hands down........you can thank me later

+2

I am not sure what the 5 sp has for a rear end gear but i know my AODE has a 2.73 i think the 5sp has a 3.27 if i am right. Just going from my 2.73 AODE to my 04 GT with a 3.27 even though it's a 5sp it is a huge difference

94Vert

Reaction score
Alot of 5 spd and aod came with 2.73, some came with 3.08 like my convertible.

thorco3

Reaction score
It's my understanding that every single 94-98 gt came with 2.73's. gts's and cobras had 3.08's. I could be wrong but that is what my sources point to.

Pennywise2

Reaction score
thorco3 said:
It's my understanding that every single 94-98 gt came with 2.73's. gts's and cobras had 3.08's. I could be wrong but that is what my sources point to.
You will have to take a look at your door sticker to
confirm exactly what ring and pinion you have in your mustang.
All mustangs came with different packages.
My 96 GT came with 3.27's from the factory.

G

GREG@SN95

dont waste yer time with a TB

do suspensions mods like sub frame connectors or spring/shock/strut/CC plate
or
gears

heads are always a good idea too

trav_19

Legend
Reaction score
put some 4.10's in it...i dont think they rev to high on the highway... :dunno:

thorco3

Reaction score
Pennywise2 said:
thorco3 said:
You will have to take a look at your door sticker to
confirm exactly what ring and pinion you have in your mustang.
All mustangs came with different packages.
My 96 GT came with 3.27's from the factory.

where does it say what gear ratio you have? Does it actually say the number of teeth on both the ring and pinion gear or something. I don't remember ever seeing this, but then again, i'm not sure i've ever looked. I know you can count your gear ratio by jacking up the rear of the car and simply spinning the tires and counting revolutions of the wheel versus rev's of the drive shaft.

another thought, why would some gt's come with a higher gear than cobras. didn't all cobras come with 3.08's? I'm not real sure of any of this, will def do some more looking into it, because nobody that i've talked to seems to know for sure.

trav_19

Legend
Reaction score
no in the door sticker its a letter and it has to be decoded... ..hmm i have always wondering if i got gears preinstalled in my car before i got it...i might have to do the tire to driveshaft revolution thing do you know how to decode that i would be interested

thorco3

Reaction score
tRaV_19 said:
no in the door sticker its a letter and it has to be decoded... ..hmm i have always wondering if i got gears preinstalled in my car before i got it...i might have to do the tire to driveshaft revolution thing do you know how to decode that i would be interested

very simple... will prolly take two people though. get to where you can see the drive shaft and put a piece of tape on it to count the revolutions. Same with the wheel/tire. Have somebody rotate the wheel/tire 10 times. So if you have 3.08's then you would count 30.8 rev's on the driveshaft (so 30 and almost 1). If you had 4.10's then the driveshaft would rotate 41 times after 10 revolutions of the wheel/tire. Hope that makes sense, very simple to do

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online