Storing LSD gears

mstinaff

Reaction score
I managed to pull a 4.10 gear limited slip rear end from an explorer sport trac at the local wrecker.

I don't have room to store the whole rear end right now and would like to just store the gears until I'm ready to swap them in with some new axles. Any tips for storing a differential? Clean of the old gear oil, give it a good coating of wd40 and wrap it in plastic? Other ideas?

Thanks!

TrickVert

Reaction score
I doubt that you want to get WD-40 on the LSD clutches. On the other hand, I probably wouldn't install it in my car without a clutch pack rebuild anyway. I think a good coating of gear oil and placing it into a plastic bag would be suitable for storage.

tinnocker

Reaction score
I would clean it up and lay it in a 5 gallon plastic bucket with a lid. Cover it with a quart or two of the specific gear oil that the clutches call far and snap the lid on it. The plastic bags could leak.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have heard that wrapping in plastic can be bad for storing as it can collect condensation and cause problems. Give it a good cleaning, a good greasing and then up away from moisture.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online