Stranded again

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
I thought I fixed this problem last winter with a new starter. It hasn't happen in months but it happen again. Last time was at a gas station. Yesterday was at a store. Got in the car and went to start it. Turned the key and nothing from the starter. No cranking. Fuel pump primes and everything. I sit there for about 1 hour 25 minutes and than it starts up.

My battery and starter is pretty new. Starter is a brand new pa performance starter.

What else should I look at?

Distributor is stock and I have to be at like 165k miles by now????
Spark plugs and cap.. wires... coil is new

Highly frustrated because my cv joint is making noise dd and i need stang for backup..knock on wood

* Sent from tapatalk while sitting on the toilet at work*

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Key cylinder.

Clutch position sensor/neutral position sensors

Anti theft system?

Security flashing

Bad ground

OP
OP
T

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
Key cylinder.

Clutch position sensor/neutral position sensors

Anti theft system?

Security flashing

Bad ground

Key cylinder.- Maybe- Mine is loose, but would that cause the car to not start right after its worked like going into a store and coming out? Let it sit for 1 hour and it starts up fine.

Clutch position sensor/neutral position sensors- This was disabled because of my alarm system.

Bad ground- Very Possible.

Im going to get those two things look at and changed asap. My cables are pretty crappy and the key part is crappy.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Honestly my alarm was interfaced into the clutch position sensor and it caused me problems pretty much exactl y as you describe.....

I would yank it pats it enough if you want add a battery cut off too but I think its ur anti theft

SLOW95GTS

Reaction score
Coil, tfi module, something is probably getting hot and causing it to fail but i'd test them both and lastly distributor.

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Take off the alternator and get it tested, auto parts stores do it for free. When I had alternator problems it threw me all kinda if weird symptoms like this... Usually intermittent and would fire up after it sat for an odd amount of times

turion94

Reaction score
Sounds like a problem I had. My negative battery wire wasn't getting a good enough connection and randomly id go to start my car the fuel pump would prime and all the dummy lights would come on and then nothing. I'd try that first...

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
You can rule out the dizzy and coil being bad because it WON'T turn over. If either of those 2 were the problem it would turn over just not start.

OP
OP
T

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
Can anyone shed any light on this. With the alarm on my car and anytime i unhook the (+) battery and hook it back up the siren turns on for about 4 seconds.

While this stranded situation was happening i unhooked the positive cables and hooked it back up and NOTHING. No spark and no alarm siren. (but the battery was still fully charged)

Would this point to the cables?
Ill go get the battery tested today to rule that out.

OP
OP
T

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
I don't know anything about the pats stuff except that I'm glad I don't have it.

95 don't have it either. I'm at my alarm installer now. Going to have him look at his install

* Sent from tapatalk while sitting on the toilet at work*

OP
OP
T

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
My cables look tight and everything looks good. Alarm was okay also.

Going to get the battery tested since there is died up white residue on it that i haven't really noticed before.

Could a leaking bad battery cause this issue?

OP
OP
T

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
I got around to looking under the hood today. I cleaned 3 ground connections i could find (timing panel ground, one near headlight and the one near the battery)

The battery tested good BUT she only tested it twice.

First test it was @ 89% then suddenly second test it was at 62% charge.

She said my battery is bad because it does that.

is that true?

Would a battery that looses charge like that cause it to start whenever it wants to? The top of battery had the white acid residue by the seals but i chalked it off as dirt and other crap.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I got around to looking under the hood today. I cleaned 3 ground connections i could find (timing panel ground, one near headlight and the one near the battery)

The battery tested good BUT she only tested it twice.

First test it was @ 89% then suddenly second test it was at 62% charge.

She said my battery is bad because it does that.

is that true?

Would a battery that looses charge like that cause it to start whenever it wants to? The top of battery had the white acid residue by the seals but i chalked it off as dirt and other crap.

that would be a dead cell. basically an internal short.

when you put the new battery in grab a pair of those little felt rings and put them under the battery cables.
Coke or baking soda is also good for cleaning battery terminals.

OP
OP
T

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
New battery did the same thing.
Now when i turn the car off. Turn the key to crank.. NOTHING happens. If i wait 5 seconds and turn the key it cranks up! WTF!!!
I unplugged the alarm box brain to rule out the alarm.

So what the heck can cause the starter is not crank after cutting the car off. Wait 5-10 seconds and it cranks just fine.

I looked at the positive cable harness and its like so much crap connected to it that it would be a job to change that.

Can anyone help me out this issue? I have no idea if playing with the battery cable helped anything or does something just cool off in that time and let me crank the car. Because now im not even messing with the battery cable and its cranking up after letting the car sit for like 5-10 seconds. The starter is brand spanking new so i really dont think its that.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Check the positive cable for cracks . Check the signal wire to the starter make sure the connections on the starter are tight and check the terminal for yhe positive wire going to the fuse box on the shock tower I've seen them cracked and all sorts of dicked there

OP
OP
T

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
Check the positive cable for cracks . Check the signal wire to the starter make sure the connections on the starter are tight and check the terminal for yhe positive wire going to the fuse box on the shock tower I've seen them cracked and all sorts of dicked there

Im afriad i will have to. I have a crappy feeling this thread IDEA ---> http://www.sn95forums.com/showthread.php?65542-Starter-Question is biting me in the ass right now. I shouldve just brought a stock oem starter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online