Strange problem 95 gt

Reaction score
Today after driving a bit my car just dies and when I crank it up it dies again and I spend about ten minutes trying to crank it back and finally it cranks and I can drive it again, then a few minutes later while I'm going 35mph it dies again but then starts running again by itself then dies then runs again by itself, and then dies and stays off while I pull to the side of the road, I then try to crank it for the next 10 minutes until my battery gets weak, and so I call May dad to come get me, after I get off the phone a try cranking one more time and it cranks normal and drive me home. We looked it over, couldn't find nothing wrong, and we drove it for about an hour to see if it would happen again, but it didn't, drives normal and perfect, but I am afraid of it happening again, any thoughts??? Sorry for long post

1bad95

Reaction score
Look into replacing the distributor. Same problems happened to mine and the pick up in the dizzy was bad. New distributor and was good as new

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

RichV

Reaction score
Fuel or ignition is where I'd start.

Fuel pump or filter.

Distributor, check for water. Did it happen after an engine wash maybe? TFI? or PIP?

OP
OP

Reaction score
Ignition is all new, fuel pump good, need to check the fuel filter. But I did degrease and wash the engine but it was a couple of days ago, maybe some moisture finally got in?

SLOW95GTS

Reaction score
It could be a defective distributor or ignition module.

1bad95

Reaction score
It could be a defective distributor or ignition module.

Yup my first replacement was defective from the parts store, went and bought a new one from ford after that

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Ignition is all new, fuel pump good, need to check the fuel filter. But I did degrease and wash the engine but it was a couple of days ago, maybe some moisture finally got in?

Just because they just came out of the box doesn't necessarily mean that they are good. Cleaning a motor can cause issues and hopefully that is all it is.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Another vote for the distributor.
Some people have had issues with remanned units failing (me included). Get a new one if you can.

OP
OP

Reaction score
Looks like I had so e water in dizzy cap from washing the engine, no more problems

RichV

Reaction score
Glad it was simple. Best types of issues!!

OP
OP

Reaction score
So my car is still dying sometimes at idle, idle is good it's not surging or anything it just randomly dies sometimes, but unlike before it cranks right back up like nothing is wrong, just annoying that is dies once or twice everytime I drive it

OP
OP

Reaction score
I will add that once I couldn't get it started and I wiggled the spark wire that goes on the coil and then it cranked up, the wires are new and so is the coil but could they be bad? The coil is msd street fire, the wires are cheapish duralast

toyman

Reaction score
I would still consider the PIP. They usually die a slow death.

toyman

Reaction score
Pip??? What's that?

Profile Ignition Pickup. Also known as the Hall Effect Sensor. It's the part in the distributor that sends a signal to the ECU to fire the correct plug and injector. It's the equivalent to a cam sensor. Reman distributors also often have PIP failures as it may initially pass the output test. Extremely common failure as one approaches 100k miles. A brand new Richporter distributor can be had for the price of a reman.

OP
OP

Reaction score
So I need a new distributor, I was thinking about getting msd billet anyways

toyman

Reaction score
MSD=May Suddenly Die seems to be the multiple forum consensus. Bling is another matter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online