Strange sound from gearbox

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Is there a way to check the upper and lower controls arms ?
its the bushings in them that are known to wear out and that could allow movement of the rear end. Sometimes you can get under the car and see if they are bad otherwise its a matter of removing them to inspect and probably replace.

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
its the bushings in them that are known to wear out and that could allow movement of the rear end. Sometimes you can get under the car and see if they are bad otherwise its a matter of removing them to inspect and probably replace.
Ok I will most definitely have a look at them.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you can also jack up the rear end and give it some push/pulls to see if its moving. Do the same with the exhaust.

Rich

Reaction score
Have you checked the oil level or changed the oil in the trans recently? It could be as simple as that, or as much as a bearing going out or gear chatter. Does it do it in every gear at that rpm?

Doing a quick hijacking of this thread... I've been meaning to ask you guys about a shaking I get if I'm in say 4th gear and slow down to 10 mph but don't down shift. The whole dame drive train starts to shake. It wasn't a big deal before but I've noticed it getting worse as the range between speed and gear placement is shrinking where that shaking happens. Is that gear chatter...?

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Doing a quick hijacking of this thread... I've been meaning to ask you guys about a shaking I get if I'm in say 4th gear and slow down to 10 mph but don't down shift. The whole dame drive train starts to shake. It wasn't a big deal before but I've noticed it getting worse as the range between speed and gear placement is shrinking where that shaking happens. Is that gear chatter...?
Check your trans mount and u joints. Gear chatter is more heard than felt. When you check u joints, make sure you have both rear wheels off the ground and the trans in neutral.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txnszn

Members online