Strut and wheel clearance

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
What clearance is typically needed between the front strut and wheel?

I found the perfect deal on the wheels I want. But they are wider than current and will require spacers. Currently I have 3/4" clearance. The spacer configuration I want to run would leave 1/4" clearance. I could probably make another spacer configuration work and that would leave 3/8" clearance.

My thinking is that you don't really need much clearance, but it does still seem sketch to be that close...? I've read people having as little as 1mm?

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have about 2-4mm of clearance between my tire and springs in the front, which is probably more dangerous than rubbing on the strut. I've never had any issues with it; clearance is clearance. The SLA should be even less of a problem. And out of curiosity, what size wheels are these? I thought you had x9s right now? Yet they're wider and you'd still need a spacer? (assuming we're talking fronts)

OP
OP
Orange 94

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have about 2-4mm of clearance between my tire and springs in the front, which is probably more dangerous than rubbing on the strut. I've never had any issues with it; clearance is clearance. The SLA should be even less of a problem. And out of curiosity, what size wheels are these? I thought you had x9s right now? Yet they're wider and you'd still need a spacer? (assuming we're talking fronts)
I currently have 18x9 +24
New wheels are
18x9.5 +38
I want around +30

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Holy non-aggressive offset. Yeah that's gonna need a spacer lol

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
I have literally no space between my wheel and spring. Like none, while just enough to not rub. i have 19x9.5 with 6.25" bs. That should be your limit imo.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

wmfateam

Reaction score
If you are going to be autocrossing or open track driving it will be an issue with that little of clearance. If not you should be fine. Keep your tires inflated.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
The rear isnt what is close. Its the front that is close. I dont think the front moves as violently as the rear, so i think i MIGHT be ok. We will find out.

wmfateam

Reaction score
The rear isnt what is close. Its the front that is close. I dont think the front moves as violently as the rear, so i think i MIGHT be ok. We will find out.
If you watch it on a bigger screen, you can see the fronts

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
If you watch it on a bigger screen, you can see the fronts

Lots of movement indeed. What are you running in the front as far as suspension.

wmfateam

Reaction score
Lots of movement indeed. What are you running in the front as far as suspension.
Steeda full comp front springs with a spring rubber in them, which equates to 1300lbs, poly control arm bushings, steeda front sway bar, MM camber plates(-1.8°), poly steering rack bushings, steeda bumpsteer, x2 ball joints, strut brace removed, steeda lower g brace and koni single adjustable struts. Stock K-Member, stock front control arms.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell

Members online