Strut Tower Brace Fitment Question

i86hotdogs

Reaction score
Hey friends! Shopping for a strut tower brace for my '98 GT 5-speed I just bought. Either the previous owner failed to reinstall the original after rebuilding the engine, or it never came with one (not sure if these did or not). Found one locally. Selling it for $70. Seller believes it's a "Kenny Brown" brand, but google seems to think it's a "Ford Motorsport" brand according to this post. According to the link, this one was made to accommodate the '94-'95 Cobra intake and the tubular GT40 intake. I have the stock 4.6L intake, so clearance isn't an issue. Just wondering if it could fit on my '98 GT before heading over to buy it. I don't think I'll have a clearance issue with the hood (stock hood), but I could be wrong there as well. Let me know what you think! Thanks!

STB.jpg

PS, bolts/hardware do not come with this listing, but those are M8 1.25X20. So I can get those anywhere

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I was unable to use mine after I had to install a space between the upper/lower for head clearance. I tried to sell it to someone with a new edge but we tried it out and it would not fit. That looks like the stock version to me

OP
OP
i86hotdogs

i86hotdogs

Reaction score
I was unable to use mine after I had to install a space between the upper/lower for head clearance. I tried to sell it to someone with a new edge but we tried it out and it would not fit. That looks like the stock version to me
Thanks for the tip. Worst case ontario, I'll drive the car to the seller and do a quick fit check while I'm there

NEW EDG

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Do you have a cold air intake? The 4.6 is much wider than the 5.0 pushrod so the intake tube sits much closer and higher against the strut tower. If you have a cold air intake with a rigid tube that makes things even more difficult. For frame of reference I have a JLT fenderwell cold air intake on my 2002 with the same 4.6 and nothing fits that is made for my car. I have to wait until I switch over to a 2003 Cobra hood that will allow me to use an 03 Cobra STB to clear the tube. There is even the nuclear option of an STB that is designed to clear bigger Whipple and Kennebell Superchargers that Maximum Motorsports makes. Point being I wouldn't touch it unless you are 100% certain it's going to fit or can at least test fit it before having to return it.

As a side note the current Kenny Brown STB does not mount to the front of the strut towers. It has plates that sit under the caster camber plates, though I'm not sure if they had a different mounting point in the past. But I doubt that is a Kenny Brown piece .

1649852355225.png

OP
OP
i86hotdogs

i86hotdogs

Reaction score
Do you have a cold air intake? The 4.6 is much wider than the 5.0 pushrod so the intake tube sits much closer and higher against the strut tower. If you have a cold air intake with a rigid tube that makes things even more difficult. For frame of reference I have a JLT fenderwell cold air intake on my 2002 with the same 4.6 and nothing fits that is made for my car. I have to wait until I switch over to a 2003 Cobra hood that will allow me to use an 03 Cobra STB to clear the tube. There is even the nuclear option of an STB that is designed to clear bigger Whipple and Kennebell Superchargers that Maximum Motorsports makes. Point being I wouldn't touch it unless you are 100% certain it's going to fit or can at least test fit it before having to return it.

As a side note the current Kenny Brown STB does not mount to the front of the strut towers. It has plates that sit under the caster camber plates, though I'm not sure if they had a different mounting point in the past. But I doubt that is a Kenny Brown piece .

View attachment 16543
No CAI, only engine work done is ported heads and the aftermarket intake manifold with the aluminum crossover (not the PI manifold). Seller is a town over, so I'll just run the car over there and do a quick test fit

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
MaximumMotorSports.com

If the $70 one doesn’t fit, the MM, though more money, fits bang-on and comes with the hardware!

badass98svt

Reaction score
Just an FYI:
98 has a strengthened firewall area and Ford therefore eliminated the STB.

I have nearly every suspension mod other than a Torque Arm and a few small things, and I still never bothered with the STB.

OP
OP
i86hotdogs

i86hotdogs

Reaction score
Just an FYI:
98 has a strengthened firewall area and Ford therefore eliminated the STB.

I have nearly every suspension mod other than a Torque Arm and a few small things, and I still never bothered with the STB.
That's good to know. If I can't get a STB on the cheap, I won't bother. $70 is a good deal for a used one. I won't cough up $150-200 for one

badass98svt

Reaction score
That's good to know. If I can't get a STB on the cheap, I won't bother. $70 is a good deal for a used one. I won't cough up $150-200 for one
I'm pretty sure that OEM 94/95 piece isn't going to fit on your 98. Yes the 302 has a large upper intake, but the 4.6 is a wider motor.
I'm genuinely curious as to what you find out. Are you settling something up so you can test for it?

NEW EDG

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If you have any plans for coilovers later you will want one. Coilovers really put a beating on the shock towers and they need extra support or they can sag. STB and 4 bolt CC Plates will give you peace of mind.

OP
OP
i86hotdogs

i86hotdogs

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that OEM 94/95 piece isn't going to fit on your 98. Yes the 302 has a large upper intake, but the 4.6 is a wider motor.
I'm genuinely curious as to what you find out. Are you settling something up so you can test for it?
The seller is a town over, so I’m gonna drive the car out there and see if it fits. I get the 4.6 is wider, but the engine bay and shock towers should be the same for 94-98 IIRC

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the towers are it was the back where it attached that would not line up the time I tried to sell mine

Flade

Reaction score
That $70 STB is not Stock. The stock one goes straight across at the front bar. The one in the pic offsets further to the front to clear a Cobra, Exploder, or aftermarket intake. Wish it was closer to me..I’m adding a cobra intake and need one. Due to the intake positioning on a 4.6L in the 98 you need a STB designed for it.

In 96 when Ford wen to the 4.6L, they just decide don’t go cheap and eliminate the STB. It has NOTHING to do with a stronger Firewall. The purpose of a STB it to triangulate the top of the strut towers so they don’t flex when cornering, this is important for keeping the tires firmly planted square to the road. The firewall has nothing to do with this except providing a solid support point. To remove the need for a STB you would need to strengthen the front aprons, add stronger torque boxes and add a cross brace at the top of the towers to prevent Flex. The SN95 is significantly stronger than the Fox so don't absolutely need one, but if you plan to drive hard, they definitely firm up the front suspension.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
That $70 STB is not Stock. The stock one goes straight across at the front bar. The one in the pic offsets further to the front to clear a Cobra, Exploder, or aftermarket intake. Wish it was closer to me..I’m adding a cobra intake and need one. Due to the intake positioning on a 4.6L in the 98 you need a STB designed for it.

In 96 when Ford wen to the 4.6L, they just decide don’t go cheap and eliminate the STB. It has NOTHING to do with a stronger Firewall. The purpose of a STB it to triangulate the top of the strut towers so they don’t flex when cornering, this is important for keeping the tires firmly planted square to the road. The firewall has nothing to do with this except providing a solid support point. To remove the need for a STB you would need to strengthen the front aprons, add stronger torque boxes and add a cross brace at the top of the towers to prevent Flex. The SN95 is significantly stronger than the Fox so don't absolutely need one, but if you plan to drive hard, they definitely firm up the front suspension.

Get this one:

badass98svt

Reaction score
LOL what's with all the "does this fit?"
There are literally tons of options for everyone's correct year. Why not just buy the bar designed for your car?
It's not like they are loads of $$$$.

OP
OP
i86hotdogs

i86hotdogs

Reaction score
LOL what's with all the "does this fit?"
There are literally tons of options for everyone's correct year. Why not just buy the bar designed for your car?
It's not like they are loads of $$$$.
I have an opportunity to purchase a part at over half the cost of a new one online. That's my motivation for this research and questions. If it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit.

chithead

Reaction score
I'm looking at a 03-04 brace that offers clearance for a supercharger, but can see what he means. For the price - can buy it, try it, and sell if it doesn't fit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online

No members online now.