struts shocks and springs???

Discussion in 'Suspension and Brakes' started by SVT CAMR, Dec 13, 2013.

1. SVT CAMR

SVT CAMR New Member

Here we go… I'm turning my car into a daily driver for spring, summer and fall. I have stock 98 cobra rims with 245 45 17 all season tires. My rear springs are stock but I have weight jackers so It will be lowered 3/4" in the back. Wondering what shocks I should use. I want the car to ride like a lincoln.

Up front I currently have a coil over kit and I'm thinking to either put a "B" springs in or just get a different rate coil over spring. say just throwing this out there (225). I really do not want to slam the front at all but do want it lowered to close the wheel gap some.

I do not want to spend a lot of money.

I was looking at the KYB stock replacement struts and shock, or the Napa struts and shocks. Will any of these work for the long hall?

In the past I have run tokico, strange and lakewood. I'm not interested in any of these.
    All that really maters is I do not mismatch a spring and shock or strut.

I can careless about performance. I just want a nice ride (driver) and also want it lowered just a little.

Would love to hear some opinions on what you would do if you wanted a driver.

2. Ferocious

Ferocious Legend SN95 Supporter

I use to daily mine with 2" lowering springs and KYB shocks/struts all around. It was actually a pretty decent ride.
    They are actually for sale currently as I switched to coilovers.

Also, why not tokico or strange? I'm running both of those brands right now and for the price they're great.

Your only other reasonable option would be to pick up a set of used bilsteins if you want to save some money.
    And keep the coilovers on the front. They ride better than any lower springs, just make sure you have a good spring rate and damper.

3. SVT CAMR

SVT CAMR New Member

I have tokico struts up front with the coil overs now and the driver side is bottoming out on me! In fact I have had several sets of tokico illumina drag struts and shocks (5 way) and they do not last all that long to be honest.

I have the strange fox shocks now on the rear and they are noisy. The strange is a good bang for the buck but I just want it quiet. Back when my exhaust was loud and I had some solid bushings in the rear end I never noticed the noise from the rear shocks. Now things have quoted down it has revealed it self.

In defense of these 2 companies their stuff kicked ass at the drag strip! Im headed in a different direction now.

I have 150 rate coil over springs now. Would a 225 be ok for a driver or do i need to go higher or lower?

4. Ferocious

What coilover kit are you running?

150 is way too soft. That is a drag racing spring. I would aim for 250 or higher. I am running 300 lbs springs on the front of my car.
    As for the struts, any drag-type strut will not ride very nicely if your car is street driven. They are designated for the abuse of a track.

For the rears, a set of bilstein shocks probably sound like what you're looking for. Quiet and excellent ride quality.

5. SVT CAMR

SVT CAMR New Member

I also want to add I have my kids (3) in the car and go to school parking lots with speed bumps so the 2" thing will not work. Maybe I should be looking at the Mach 1 bullet springs for the front?

6. SVT CAMR

SVT CAMR New Member

UPR kit. it's like 8-10 years old. The bilstein shock seem some what reasonable for the rear. How bad are the kyb gr.'s????

7. SVT CAMR

SVT CAMR New Member

How do you tell if a strut is blown? Maybe it is just the springs. But I never had a problem bottoming out on the street till this year.

8. Ferocious

I actually liked my KYB's and my car was dropped quite a bit.

If you go with Mach 1 springs + KYB's all around, you'll have a decent ride. It should be a tiny bit better than stock (which in my opinion isn't that bad).
    It's after years and years of abuse that these cars start getting rough and all the bushings get worn and the geometry gets upset.

9. SVT CAMR

SVT CAMR New Member

Thanks for your insight.

I guess now the next question is how much of a drop will the mach 1 springs give me up front?

BTW what is the stock ride height front and rear of a 96-97-98 cobra? I usual measure from the center of the rim to the bottom of the fender lip.
    Right now my ride sits at 27 1/4" at the front and 27.5" at the rear
    What KYB's were you using?

10. SVT CAMR

SVT CAMR New Member

Yup everything has been changed. I'm also putting my stock a-arms back on. been sitting for a long time and they are like brand new. New hubs, inner and outer tie rods too. Just trying to plan for the shocks, struts and springs. It's going to be like march of 1998 when I rolled that baby off the lot but with about 50 more ponies under the hood.

11. OnyxCobra

OnyxCobra Legend

i have 250lb coilover springs and the car rides pretty good and takes corners decent as well. Since you already have coilovers i'd be inclined to stick with them as I think they'll ultimately give you a better ride.

12. Ferocious

Mach 1 springs only lower our cars .75".

I'm not exactly sure about about the stock ride height as I don't measure it like that.
    And I was running the Excel-G's and GR-2s.

13. SVT CAMR

SVT CAMR New Member

I made a small typo… meant to say from the ground to the fender lip in line with the center of the rim.

Anybody out here that has a stock suspension 96-98 Cobra or GT. Can you measure the fender lip height from the ground????? Please

14. the5.ohh

the5.ohh Legend

I'm at stock ride height on my 95 GT. Will that help if I measure it?

15. SVT CAMR

SVT CAMR New Member

sure i would be interested to hear. I'm not sure iy is apples to apples though.

16. Shifty Powers

Shifty Powers Well-Known Member

if you want the car to ride like a Lincoln, put air ride on it.
    (this is a serious statement ^)

Otherwise a set of Bilsteins, with a nice spring from eibach or H&R would be the best bet. Unless you really want a stock set of springs. Also be sure to put new isos in.. rubber ones if you want it to be a bit softer

17. the5.ohh

the5.ohh Legend

we got like 6'' of snow here and its still coming down, i'll go out anyways haha