STUCK! NEED HELP! REBUILT 2V KNOCKING

hunterd99

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I was determined that this noise was due to the timing being out of place, but after more and more research, I believe my engine is properly timed.
My problem is that whenever the engine starts to come up to temperature, I begin hearing this horrible noise.

Now I'm starting to think about it, and I have rust on my timing chain (passenger side) but I specifically have proof in pictures that before I sealed the engine up, my chains did not have one thing of rust on them.

Could the noise just be a malfunctioning tensioner or does it sound like my timing is off and a valve is hitting a piston? Please let me know... I desperately need to find an answer.

I'm happy to answer any questions about the motor, just ask.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG_KAxUbQnM

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Tentioners are very possible! The sound also replicates detonation. Only thing is the detonation smooths out upper rpm which dont make sense. But all the valves hitting the piston causing rocking does. If it were one valve it would be a single click/tap noise. This noise is a rattle. If all the valves were hitting, id say the tentioner system has failed.

Nighttrain

Reaction score
Something else is going on if you have rust on the chains too. Seal on timing cover good? Did you swap the heads with the intake? If you didnt might not of filled in with rtv enough

OP
OP
H

hunterd99

Reaction score
I originally thought it was detonation but I tried a lot to fix it but the noise still happens. I figured, well the car has been sitting for 2 years.. must be bad gas. Well, I filled her up with 93 and the noise is still there.
The noise is super loud under a load. If I accelerate, it will get louder and louder and as soon as I let off on the gas, it will go away completely until I accelerate some more.
As far as the engine running, it runs fantastic aside from the noise..
Also, once the noise begins happening, it is harder for the engine to start but it does.

As far as the intake manifold and the heads, the heads are the original that came with it but I had them all cleaned up with a new valve job and seals etc. The intake manifold on it right now came with the car when I bought it but it's a professional products manifold. I just painted it blue.

OP
OP
H

hunterd99

Reaction score
I have not pulled it off completely yet because of this hurricane, so I'll have to wait for it to stop raining before I can keep working on it

OP
OP
H

hunterd99

Reaction score
Yeah we're just expecting a lot of rain and wind. I'm an hour south from Jacksonville so we will be getting hit by the south outer bands of the storm which will probably be intense.

OP
OP
H

hunterd99

Reaction score
Update: redid the timing but the problem was still present..
noticed the engine was running a bit too hot. Checked the bottom rad house, cold. Removed thermostat and filled engine with water (was bone dry). Problem gone. Gotta love simple issues..

Nighttrain

Reaction score
Was it never filled after rebuild? Thats extremely wierd, need to make sure nothing is leaking my man. Thats not a good sign

OP
OP
H

hunterd99

Reaction score
I THOUGHT it was filled up all the way when I filled the reservoir up and it sucked some fluid down but obviously not. One way or another the water wasn't reaching the thermostat to open it or something.. Really not sure. But I did have this thermostat not opening issue on my 1990 Toyota 4Runner and I fixed it by removing upper rad hose and filling the engine up with fluid and it stopped heating. Did the same to the mustang and it stopped heating and making noises

Nighttrain

Reaction score
Yea it can, basically boiling the coolant/ overheating the block. Surprised it didnt cook a head or anything like that.....bad juju

Nighttrain

Reaction score
Usually it sounds alot like pinging, thats not what i wouldve guessed with his....almost sounded like a pump deadheading, but his would quiet down. This is why its so hard to diagnose stuff online.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online