Stutters and pops at low RPM

nasmscott

Reaction score
Howdy.....If it isn't one thing, it's another. At least this one is motor and not the freakin suspension.
At low rpm, low load cruise or accelerate, the car stutters and pops at around 1800-2000 rpm. If I boot it I do not notice it. Plugs and wires were good last time I checked....pretty new. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

No cats x-pipe
JLT RAI
80,000 miles

OP
OP
N

nasmscott

Reaction score
The pop is heard through the exhaust, but the motor is hesitating/stuttering

281powered

Reaction score
to be honest sounds like it could be an o2 senser, being a 80,000mile stang with an x-pipe thats a recipe for shot o2 sensers. i had a similar problem with my car, put a new fuel pump in an tried putting a diffrent mass air meter on it to no avale. i finally hooked up a dionostic computer to it and shure enough it read that the drivers side o2 was fucked. $90 dollars later car was running perfect but couple months later i found out the passengers side was going :p. i heard that having after market h or x pipes will cause these things to fail alittle faster than normal.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
281powered said:
to be honest sounds like it could be an o2 senser, being a 80,000mile stang with an x-pipe thats a recipe for shot o2 sensers. i had a similar problem with my car, put a new fuel pump in an tried putting a diffrent mass air meter on it to no avale. i finally hooked up a dionostic computer to it and shure enough it read that the drivers side o2 was fucked. $90 dollars later car was running perfect but couple months later i found out the passengers side was going :p. i heard that having after market h or x pipes will cause these things to fail alittle faster than normal.

you never got a check eng light?

281powered

Reaction score
my check engine light was always on becuase i never installed the MIL's eliminator after i put the x-pipe on :-\

OP
OP
N

nasmscott

Reaction score
I do not have the MIL eliminators either. My car will trip the 02 check engine light once in a blue moon. I have an OBDII reader/reset tool so I reset it each time. But it rarely trips. I would have expected a code to be thrown if something was out of sorts...what's the point of the dang OBDII if it isn't going to tell me what's wrong!? I might just invest in the MIL eliminators to see if it helps. Won't hurt to have them anyway.

OP
OP
N

nasmscott

Reaction score
So...looked under the hood to see if anything obvious popped out. Looked OK. Wiggled the spark plug wires, one was loose. Doh! Problem solved.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online