sub frame connectors

gary spielberg

Reaction score
I have a 95 GT convertible----what are the prose and cons of a full length Sub frame connector

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
A small amount of addition weight? The pros far out weigh the cons, no pun intended.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Pros... stiffer chassis, less body roll, great jacking point.

Cons.... if you are slammed as all hell they will get bruised up pretty badly.

RichV

Reaction score
Cons, cost and installation.

Other than that, all pros.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Pretty much what everyone else has said, there really aren't any cons. If you want to consider the things people have mentioned as actual cons, then the benefits you get from SFC's far outweigh the cons. Try to get Full Length ones if possible.

myk

Reaction score
Question: do the coupes improve that much from SFC's? I'm used to 4th Gen F bodies and a '69 Charger that wiggled like a noodle down the road before I welded in SFC's for them, but my SN95 has always felt stiff and tight. What sort of differences will I feel? My car is dropped about 1.5 inches; will I be scraping things even worse than I am now? I would only consider full length SFC's...

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Question: do the coupes improve that much from SFC's? I'm used to 4th Gen F bodies and a '69 Charger that wiggled like a noodle down the road before I welded in SFC's for them, but my SN95 has always felt stiff and tight. What sort of differences will I feel? My car is dropped about 1.5 inches; will I be scraping things even worse than I am now? I would only consider full length SFC's...

You will feel more of a difference going from no SFC's to having SFC's on a Fox body than you would on a SN95 coupe. The SN95 coupe's had additional support added in as part of the new platform advances. The Fox's were a little looser.

Having said that, on a SN95, you will probably feel a little bit of an improvement - and if you track your car or are super speed racer on turns/on-off ramps, then you might notice it more. Even if you don't think you notice it that much, it *is* still really tightening things up. The most telling: place a jack right behind your front wheel and then jack the car up, paying attention to what the rear on that side is doing - it's probably not moving nearly as much as the front. Have the SFC's installed, then do the jacking test again. You'll notice your rear stays almost right with the front, even though the jack is on the front quarter part of the car. This stiffness can only be a good thing.

Oh, and no, you should not be scrapping anything with SFC's and a 1.5" drop.

Edit: I just re-read your post again, what exactly are you scrapping with a 1.5" drop? That's actually a mild-ish drop, hard for me to understand what's scrapping?

Michael Plummer

Reaction score
You didn't mention which company so I'm posting a link to Stifflers. I run their FIT system and it made a difference in how my car rides and handles. http://buystifflers.com/chassisstiffening-2-2.aspx

I even added their Spider brace to help with the lower front frame rail. All in all, very happy with the customer service and quality of their product. You will need a good welder to weld this system together.

Good luck with whatever direction you decide to go in.
Michael Plummer

myk

Reaction score
You will feel more of a difference going from no SFC's to having SFC's on a Fox body than you would on a SN95 coupe. The SN95 coupe's had additional support added in as part of the new platform advances. The Fox's were a little looser.

Having said that, on a SN95, you will probably feel a little bit of an improvement - and if you track your car or are super speed racer on turns/on-off ramps, then you might notice it more. Even if you don't think you notice it that much, it *is* still really tightening things up. The most telling: place a jack right behind your front wheel and then jack the car up, paying attention to what the rear on that side is doing - it's probably not moving nearly as much as the front. Have the SFC's installed, then do the jacking test again. You'll notice your rear stays almost right with the front, even though the jack is on the front quarter part of the car. This stiffness can only be a good thing.

Oh, and no, you should not be scrapping anything with SFC's and a 1.5" drop.

Edit: I just re-read your post again, what exactly are you scrapping with a 1.5" drop? That's actually a mild-ish drop, hard for me to understand what's scrapping?

I've never scrapped my SFC's on my 1.5 drop. Exhaust yes, but not the sub frames

Right now the exhaust is scraping along with the chin spoiler, but I'm 100% sure that's because of the terrible roads here in San Diego. SFC's are inexpensive, so even if it's just a marginal improvement I could do worse with the money spent...

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score

SFC's are inexpensive, so even if it's just a marginal improvement I could do worse with the money spent...

It might be a marginal improvement for a car with a roof, but remember the OP has a vert. he will feel a huge improvement with SFC's

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
but I'm 100% sure that's because of the terrible roads here in San Diego.

file.jpg

Are you in Miramar or something? The roads in San Diego are flawless and I have no issue driving my car anywhere apart from Mira Mesa/Miramar.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
SFC's are a great mod. I got MaxiumumMotorsports full lengths for my birthday, can't wait to get them welded on.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Negative. I'll get some eventually but they're not a priority to me atm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online