Subwoofer Upgrade

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
I got my stereo hooked up for close to a year and a half.. Got 2- 10" JBL GT5 subs. Single 4- ohm voice coil.. I just put in new Infinity Reference speakers on Christmas. Stereo itself is louder, but the $54 a piece subs aren't cutting it anymore. I'm looking at upgrading to a Rockford Fosgate PD34 12 Punch P3 12" Single Sub.. Obviously going to need a box for it. And I'll be looking to add another amplifier to power the sub. So another amp that'll power the single sub, and the amp I already have will power the speakers since they're only hooked to the radio right now. Heres the sub.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_5751P3...&nvpair=FFCustomer_Rating|[rank1]5+stars[img]

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you will need to increase the power to the 12 for it to have the same impact as the 2 10s did. It should go lower if its in the correct box but as far as output unless you have a fairly good power addition to the sub you might be disappointed.

chris91

Reaction score
What amp are you currently using for the 10's? My two 10" Kicker Comp VR's sound GREAT with my Kicker 600.1 amp.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
you will need to increase the power to the 12 for it to have the same impact as the 2 10s did. It should go lower if its in the correct box but as far as output unless you have a fairly good power addition to the sub you might be disappointed.
So basically I definitely need another amp, and that should just power the subwoofer correct?
What amp are you currently using for the 10's? My two 10" Kicker Comp VR's sound GREAT with my Kicker 600.1 amp.

Arc Audio 4100 Series. The subs hit hard don't get me wrong, but they're not powerful.

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
I think you're better off spending your money on 2 new 10"s and a better amp then spending money on a box, a 12", and an amp.

Crapatalkin' on the iPhone 5.0

Caboose302

Reaction score
I have the 4 ohm P3s with a 725 watt amp and I love them. They are pretty pricey and a bit much sometimes. I just got a new box so hopefully they will sound a little better. Like everyone said, if you really want 12's I'd go for it, otherwise I'd just get some P3 10's and call it a day.

Sent from mah Obamafone

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I like dual 10s better.

In my experience the 10s have a larger range they hit on. I had a single 12 and it definitely hit harder, but only on certain things.
I just put in a ported box with dual 10s. I think I like non-ported better, might be the subs though.

I'm think of going back to just a single sub to save on room and make it easier for removal.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I agree with the 10's! I loved them so much I put 50 of them in my van!
9y5upyre.jpg

Seriously though....your trunk is going to rattle and it all takes up valuable space. My suggestion is to remove the back seat and start preparing for a wall of 8 10's, might even get 12 10's in there if you engineer it right...lol.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
I think you're better off spending your money on 2 new 10"s and a better amp then spending money on a box, a 12", and an amp.

Crapatalkin' on the iPhone 5.0
The Amp is more than I'd need, it came out of a show car that went to Sema in 2012. I could get new 10s though and just a second amp.
I have the 4 ohm P3s with a 725 watt amp and I love them. They are pretty pricey and a bit much sometimes. I just got a new box so hopefully they will sound a little better. Like everyone said, if you really want 12's I'd go for it, otherwise I'd just get some P3 10's and call it a day.

Sent from mah Obamafone
Yeah I heard they're beasts lol. I'm a heavy bass kinda guy, but obviously I still like to hear the lows, mids, highs, all clear and not distorted. I was thinking single 12 to save some trunk space, since my 10s take up a lotta room with the box there in. But I'll look into the P3 10s and go from there, thanks dude
I like dual 10s better.

In my experience the 10s have a larger range they hit on. I had a single 12 and it definitely hit harder, but only on certain things.
I just put in a ported box with dual 10s. I think I like non-ported better, might be the subs though.

I'm think of going back to just a single sub to save on room and make it easier for removal.
I've heard a single 12'' JL, and it hit hard as ****. But that wasn't in a Mustang, so it would be different. I like sealed boxes, ported is louder but thats about it. My sub box is a ***** to move around lol.
I agree with the 10's! I loved them so much I put 50 of them in my van!
9y5upyre.jpg

Seriously though....your trunk is going to rattle and it all takes up valuable space. My suggestion is to remove the back seat and start preparing for a wall of 8 10's, might even get 12 10's in there if you engineer it right...lol.

LMFAO.

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Lol at the wall... Joe I rocked some P2's way back in the day before they were even cool (probably 5yrs ago) in the rockford box they came in, and I have to admit they were ****in amazing subs. My dust caps are all but obliterated (still have them) but they still pound like no tomorrow. The thing about subs is this, it's not just the power going to them, it's the enclosure you use. Those P2's were on about 700rms because they are 250rms a piece, and they hit hard and loud. I miss them. Lol. If they fit in my mustang I no doubt would put them in. I'm currently using some sub by a company called 5 star audio on my rockford T400-2 and it's just not doing it for me honestly. It's in a tiny little walmart sub box because it fits in my spare tire well, but it's just not loud at all. Then again when I saw my ex's parents a few days ago I burned massive rubber and sent the car hella sideways quite violently and ended up busting the terminal on the box... Lol... At any rate..

Point is the enclosure makes all the difference in the world. General rule of thumb (and I'm sure Scott can probably agree with this) the larger the enclosure, the less watts you need. Meaning in a Mustang where space is extremely limited, you'll want a higher powered sub and a higher powered amp because your enclosure isn't going to be very big. My 15's had a massive box that took up the entire back end of my moms explorer and on the 3krms I threw at them those mothas damn near jarred my brain to mush. Then I bought a smaller box to save on some space and on the same wattage they just don't hit like they used to. So that's always something to keep in mind when making your decisions. Either way, I can highly recommend staying with Rockford for entry-mid range subs. And their amps IMO can't be beat. I love both of mine. Hope that helps a little

Caboose302

Reaction score
yza3y5y8.jpg

These are my P3s in the new box (don't mind the junk) just so you can see about how much space you'll have with 12s. Even with the new box there's not a lot of space even thought it's a helluva lot more then I had. I've been thinking about trading them for for a couple 10's or shallow 12's.

Sent from mah Obamafone

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
yza3y5y8.jpg

These are my P3s in the new box (don't mind the junk) just so you can see about how much space you'll have with 12s. Even with the new box there's not a lot of space even thought it's a helluva lot more then I had. I've been thinking about trading them for for a couple 10's or shallow 12's.

Sent from mah Obamafone
Shit dude that ain't so bad. My 2- 10s in the box take up pretty close to that amount. But I got lucky, it was a box already made for a 94-04 when I had my stuff done, so it fits pretty good. Wish the fawkin material was black though, hate the grey.
Shallow mount 12s fit well in the trunk. That's what I'm running and it sounds good.

Shallow mount meaning the actual faces of the subs are flatter on the box? Got a pic?

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Shallow mount meaning the actual faces of the subs are flatter on the box?

Shallow mount meaning you can mount them in a box that's not very deep and still leave room in your trunk. They're popular with standard cab pickups to put behind the seat and what-not. The trunk on the convertible is even smaller than the coupe. I wanted to leave a little room to put a toolbox or something in there if I wanted to.

Got a pic?

1010810_10100106448054612_1657536146_n.jpg

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
deep was seeling the extinguishers a while back. I have one in all of my cars but I keep them where I can reach them from the drivers seat. There is a great place to mount the on the back of the consol sitting on top of the tranny hump.

The shallow subs have come a long way in the past few years and they put out some good sound. Not as much as a traditional sub now but still good. I have been planning on running 10's myself in my current system but was going with 3 just for some added kick. I am now thinking about 2 12's myself but mainly because I will already have 9"(yes you read that correct a 9 inch woofer) in each door so using 10's as the subs I am thinking that that the 9's could handle those freqs and some 12 drop it like its hot to really hit the low end. But my stereo is going to be slightly above average.............

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah