Supercharged Stroker?

OP
OP
D

Daywalker

Reaction score
I ordered my Procharger like two weeks ago, so NO I don't plan on being NA. :dancing6: And a 6500RPM redline doesn't sound too limited to me, I rarely go past 5 grand anyways. I'm really considering buying that stroker block now. Only thing is, I could be in and out for $4000, installation and all with the MMR 600. The stoker block alone would break me, and then I'd have to scrape up another $1500 to get it installed. :-[

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
my95gtstang said:
dude, you can gain more than just 30whp
its just 4.6 stroker motors are still a new breed. so its not a definate on a hp with any set setup right now
once it gets bigger and people figure things out for the right setups you will see.
i know for a fact you can gain more than 30whp from the build.

How do you know for a fact? You have proof? Dyno's? Post them up....30 is the most i have seen and that was on a highly modified car with st3 heads/blower cams and a 2.2 KB...

OP
OP
D

Daywalker

Reaction score
I'm still trying to get a lil more information on this. So, the reason supercharging a stroker could be "bad" is due to the bumped compression, caused by the increased stroke? Have I got it screwed up or what? :dunno:

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
you can easily control compression with the dish in the piston, the reason strokers are bad is the piston comes to far out of the cylinder bore on bottom dead center and the piston can actually become unstable and wabble.

OP
OP
D

Daywalker

Reaction score
How are people with stroked, supercharged modulars avoiding this then? :dunno:

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
avoiding what?

stroking it for NA peak power gains is not much. but there's more to performance than peak numbers on a dyno!
The main reason I did mine was to get the low end torque gain. and I'll tell ya, it feels MUCH better than it did before, and interestingly, the peak HP is like 10 HP more. keep in mind my compression was lowered and I"m at a high elevation.

Either way, motor work is gonna cost ya. why not do a rotating assembly and just hone your block. that would save some money.
Shortblocks are nice and all, but the stock block can take 1000HP.

ripper

Reaction score
I have my tak lite set at 6200. 6500 is friggin plenty of revs. Damnit i shoulda bought a stroker.

GaryG

Reaction score
there is a guy on badmustangsclub.com w/ a stroker motor (5.0 spec) on his cobra, that is making 503rwhp 422rwtq at 5psi, but he also has a 96 cobra, so it'd be less for the 2v

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
ya buddy, that's good stuff.

funny thing about the 4V, is they arn't that far off when paired agains ported 2V's.
where they shine is in the high RPM's, so stroked that kida defeats that.

great #'s for 5# :)

OP
OP
D

Daywalker

Reaction score
OK, I'm still a tad bit confused here. Why would people say that a FI stroker is a bad idea if it isn't? Are you saying that there's no real threat here? I'm just trying to figure out why someone would tell me to stay away from supercharging a stoker if there's no real danger? :help2:

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Daywalker said:
OK, I'm still a tad bit confused here. Why would people say that a FI stroker is a bad idea if it isn't? Are you saying that there's no real threat here? I'm just trying to figure out why someone would tell me to stay away from supercharging a stoker if there's no real danger? :help2:

It depends on the kit you use, The Livernois stroker is supposedly good because of the custom piston design with offset wrist pins...I believe this is the kit Dalamar has.

Thomas_W

Reaction score
wow.. I read alot of BS coming out of who knows where from people in here.... here's what i know about 5.0L displacement 4.6 blocks.

you have 2 options..
Stroker (the cheaper way) and big bore.

This being said.. you cannot physically get more displacement w/o either 1. boring the cylinder 2. increasing stroke or 3. a combination of both.. By lengthening a connecting rod you are theoretically changing the position of the piston within its cylinder and not changing its "length" of travel which does not change the engine displacement.

So that being said

Strokers change the stroke of each cylinder by either having a custom built/modified or forged crankshaft to give more "stroke" for each set of pistons. Most companies also have a .020" overbore of each cylinder to increase the displacement of the motor to keep connecting rod angle in a safe range (so the rods dont hit the skirt of the pistons) and to also keep the piston in the wall (to far out of the bottom of the cylinder walls and the piston can wobble as said earlier).

These are typically the cheaper of the 2 versions.. of all the ones out there the only ones i would even think of using are the VT engines (which im not sure they even offer the stroker anymore) or the Livernois motorsports kit.

Big Bore kits are exactly as it sounds. They put a massive size piston in the wall.. but with the modular motors this involves ALOT of work. the cylinder walls are fairly thin compared to earlier ford engine blocks, so we can safely only bore up to about .020" overbore.. which only gives you a 284ci. displacement. So if we can only get a 284 roughly w/ a .020" overbore, how do we get up to a 302ci? The answer is either a dry sleeve or a wet sleeve or the factory block. Basically what this does is it COMPLETELY removes the factory cylinder walls. And new "sleeves" are installed giving you a larger cylinder bore. the differene between the 2 i'm not sure of, i just know the wet sleeve is typically the most expensive and has the higher HP holding capabilities. This bore is upwards of 3.7xx" which gives you 302+ cubic inch displacement.

A stroker and big bore motor CAN be rev'd high, but it is all in the components and building of the rotating assembly. The higher/faster you wanna go/spin the more your going to have to pay.

And in response to the guy who said strokers are bad for a FI engine... QUIT TALKING TO HIM.. he is a COMPLETE moron.

firstonraceday

Reaction score
strokers like turbos more but a lot of guys are now s/c them too... id look in to a decent single turbo kit. you would see a lot better improvement with that than with a sc... turbos love the torque O0. The reason not too many people stroke 4.6s is because there not the most reliable means of gaining power.... thats why most people are using scs/turbos with the stock motor. shit 4.6s have pretty large bores and strokes already for such a small v8 3.552 compared to a 351 5.8 which is also 3.55 i believe.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Good explanation Thomas :)

I've seen that stroker-is--ad bs so much online.
As far as I can gather, some crappy kit got tested and had issues, and the forums took it and just beat it to death.
as some forums tend to do.

you've got good and real feedback in here. :bunny3:

Here's another interesting tidbit, since I did my stroker here, in SLC, UT. 8 ppl have done or ordered stroker kits from my tuner.
iiiinteresting.

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Dalamar said:

As far as I can gather, some crappy kit got tested and had issues, and the forums took it and just beat it to death.

Here's another interesting tidbit, since I did my stroker here, in SLC, UT. 8 ppl have done or ordered stroker kits from my tuner.
iiiinteresting.

+1 if it wasn't for me getting a HELL of a deal on my MPH prepp'd cobra crank and eagle rods i was going to do a stroker kit in my car...

OP
OP
D

Daywalker

Reaction score
Dalamar said:

iiiinteresting.

So, where did you get yours built? What did it hit for may I ask?

OP
OP
D

Daywalker

Reaction score
Oh ok, I'll have to give em a call to see how much it's gonna cost me...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online