supercharger and other options.

RonBurgandy

Reaction score
ok so im starting to mod my 95gt. as the plan goes it will have a 331 stroker with gt40 heads and intake, the heads and intake will be ported polished and gasket matched. the heads will be fitted with new valves, springs, roller rockers. but after all is said and done i want to add a supercharger or small turbo. i want to push out over 400whp that is streetable. i dont want a street/strip car.

my questions are.

1. what cam is good for a setup like this? i dont want alot of thump. this is not a strip car.
2. what size injectors?
3. whats a good sc to go with that isnt really big but will give me enough power? im not looking to cut out headlights but i want some head snapping when i hit the boost.

OP
OP
R

RonBurgandy

Reaction score
Thanks but im pretty dead set on the 331. ive always wanted one and i wont be happier any other way. the heads are soon to be off to the machine shop, ive seen guys making great power out of theses budget heads. im going with a walboro fuel pump they are good for 600hp and i run them in all my builds. those injectors seem alittle overkill for what im looking for. like i said this is going to be a street car not a trailer queen or strip car. it will be daily driven.

Venomized

Reaction score
331 plus boost need a aftermarket block...

Are you high??? Here comes the "other" boards talking. You can go 347 and boost and use the stock block. His goals are normal for what most guys are doing with these motors. I'm actually building the same setup (331 with S/C and N2O)

As for injectors you can run 42s with that setup. Make sure you have a 255 lph pump and your set.

Also go with a custom ground cam. The grinder will give you assistance in getting the specs matched for your setup.

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
Really if I built a 331 and boosted I would want to be at 600+ . why bother boosting a Stroker when I can get anything under that with just a regular 302 and boost.. I won't trust a factory block for 600+ that be a waste of a rotating assy if the block split...

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
42lbs max in the hi 400 low 500. Why limit your self to that or risk having to buy again.. When 60 are close to the same price..

86svo9l

Reaction score
I will mention something that I learned long ago. I spent 3k on a rotating assembly and put it all together into a stock block. Block broke 6 months later, screwed my entire investment. I will personally never spend money on any sort of rotating assembly for a stock block 302 ever again. Now I run stock rotating assembly knowing that the block is most likely going to go first. I also have known plenty who have ran the block well past its limit for several seasons no issue, its just luck of the draw on how well that particular block was cast.

Venom351R

Legend
Reaction score
60 to 80 lbs injectors. 340lph fuel pump....

ahhh...no

If your goal is around 400 HP your fine with #42lb injectors. Its pretty much the standard for H/C/I and around 10PSI of boost. Dont need a fuel pump that big either a 255LPH is fine.

Before I bought my current Cobra it had a Vortech H/C/I and was pushing over 500 at the wheels with #42's and the 255LPH that is still in the tank

Venom351R

Legend
Reaction score
I will mention something that I learned long ago. I spent 3k on a rotating assembly and put it all together into a stock block. Block broke 6 months later, screwed my entire investment..

Did you have your block completely checked before putting the rotating assembly in?

86svo9l

Reaction score
Yea, the block was completely gone over and everything was balanced, it was .030 over. I did not run a girdle though, so that could have band aided it longer. Either way, the next build I do will be either a 351 based engine or a mod engine.

Mrstangerbanger

Reaction score
I have a stock block 302 with Trickflow H/C/I and Vortech S trim with 3.33 upper and stock lower power pipe with 50lb MSD injectors and Lightning mass air .. I see around 7 psi of boost and car pulls great .. I would just go with a stock block 302 save your money and be done.. If you build a 331 you should get a aftermarket block .. MY next step is building a 331 so I understand you want it but its a waist of money on a stock block .. YOu can make well over 500 rwhp with stock blcok H/c/I so save your money on building a 331 and get some good heads and junk the gt40's ... But If you want it buy it I did .. good luck car should be fun both ways..

And I only have 255lb in tank pump and at WOT Im at 11.1 all day

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
ahhh...no

If your goal is around 400 HP your fine with #42lb injectors. Its pretty much the standard for H/C/I and around 10PSI of boost. Dont need a fuel pump that big either a 255LPH is fine.

Before I bought my current Cobra it had a Vortech H/C/I and was pushing over 500 at the wheels with #42's and the 255LPH that is still in the tank
he wants a 331 with boost.. That will be way over 400

Venomized

Reaction score
he wants a 331 with boost.. That will be way over 400

How are you calculating your numbers???

If he builds a 331 with 8-9:1 compression and runs 7-10 psi he will be right at where he wants to be. Unless your running high amounts of boost (15+) your not going to reach a 600 HP level.

I really think you need not post unless you have your facts straight first.

86svo- I would have gotten a second opinion on that rotating assembly and the people that assembled it.

There are SEVERAL people running 347s and 331s on stock blocks and boosting them or running a high CR and spraying them. Its all in the builder and the quality of their work.

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
Lol guess ill leave this to the experts.. 331+ boost to make 400HP Fuck guess my lil 302 will only make 300 with boost...

Venomized

Reaction score
Lol guess ill leave this to the experts.. 331+ boost to make 400HP Fuck guess my lil 302 will only make 300 with boost...

Read the whole thing. Just because you throw a S/C or turbo on a motor doesnt automatically give you 500 HP, ITS ALL IN THE AMOUNT OF BOOST YOU DIAL IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Venomized

Reaction score
Also want to add,

All this talk about not being able to boost it or anything on a stock block coming from a guy whos sig says he has a .040 over block with a vortech. Hmmm is that BS like the crap comin out of his posts?

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
Lol ok what does an average 331 make.. Let's say average 350.. With a good cam intake and heads..takes let's round off 15psi to double the output. So you can cut than in half 175 but lets say 150.. So one 150 + 350= 500. But there are alot more variables that go into it.. but I just sit back and read..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Staff online

Members online