supercharger and other options.

86svo9l

Reaction score
86svo- I would have gotten a second opinion on that rotating assembly and the people that assembled it.

There are SEVERAL people running 347s and 331s on stock blocks and boosting them or running a high CR and spraying them. Its all in the builder and the quality of their work.

Not saying it will not work. Just mentioning my experience, when I did my most recent build I decided to spend my money elsewhere by preference and was able to splurge on other things so it worked out well for me. I also daily drove the combo for that 6 months, so as far as things go it lived for quite a while especially considering the daily beating the 19 year old me was giving it.

Venom351R

Legend
Reaction score
Saying he wants 400+ does not mean 600HP. I take that as breaking the 400 mark. It all depends on the compression ratio of the heads and the pistons. A typical H/C/I set up with 10 PSI on a 302 makes somewhere in the 450 area. Ive seen more, Ive seen less it all depends on the set up. A 331 with GT40 Heads and an intake (not sure what he is doing about the cam) but with that basically being the set up its going to be over 400 but nothing close to 600. Block realibality all depends on the tune. I had 2 friends with turbo Mustangs, stock blocks 10 PSI both close to 500 RWHP but they were tuned right. Neither one of them has blown up. I had my 95 GT supercharged with 10 PSI and I never had problems.

Doing a GT40 set up on a 331 wont yeild the power levels in the 600's. When my current Cobra was boosted it was in the mid to upper 500's and that was with a 351W. The power number that his set up are negotiable but what I do know is that you dont throw on 60-80LB injectors and a 300+ LPH Fuel pump for a 331 with a GT40 set up. If you want to over build your car with parts it does not need they hey happy spending but dont point the guy in the wrong direction.

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
My thing was why spend all that on a 331 when you can get the 400+ he wants out of a 302.. Injectors have come a long way 60 can idle and be tune pretty ez now.. Nothing wrong with the 340lph fuel pump a lil more than a 255 but its always better to have a lil more than not enough..

OP
OP
R

RonBurgandy

Reaction score
look the car will be a street dd car. no track time unless autox. i want to stay away from spray. and i dont plan on running alot of boost i can have it set up to run higher hp and tuned down to the desired hp. other than stop lights and the occasional highway play it wont be driven hard it will be babied most of the time. my goal is to make as close to 500whp if i make over i will have it tuned down. i was going with the gt40 because ive seen good results with them and they are a budget build head. so i could save some money and have a good set of heads. ive always wanted a 331 idk why but i have so im going with a 331 if i stay with a 302 i know it is a 302 and ill always wish i had the 331.

quickstang_1994

Reaction score
just my opinion but unless i had a 331 kit already i would stick with the 302 unless i had a new block. reason being the block around 450 hp is on borrowed time unless you keep the rpms down. i have been running the same set up since 06 (not a daily driver but can be) it dyno a hair over 500. but a hci with a blower maxes out the block easily so if you want the 331 i would buy a new block. the boss block seems to be a good deal.

OP
OP
R

RonBurgandy

Reaction score
i didnt mean to start a war. i just wanted some simple answers to my questions. now everyone is stuck on the 331 deal.

quickstang_1994

Reaction score
ok so im starting to mod my 95gt. as the plan goes it will have a 331 stroker with gt40 heads and intake, the heads and intake will be ported polished and gasket matched. the heads will be fitted with new valves, springs, roller rockers. but after all is said and done i want to add a supercharger or small turbo. i want to push out over 400whp that is streetable. i dont want a street/strip car.

my questions are.

1. what cam is good for a setup like this? i dont want alot of thump. this is not a strip car.
2. what size injectors?
3. whats a good sc to go with that isnt really big but will give me enough power? im not looking to cut out headlights but i want some head snapping when i hit the boost.

I would go stock or custom cam, 42lb injector should be fine, and i like vortech for 5.0l sn95s

castine917

Reaction score
ok so im starting to mod my 95gt. as the plan goes it will have a 331 stroker with gt40 heads and intake, the heads and intake will be ported polished and gasket matched. the heads will be fitted with new valves, springs, roller rockers. but after all is said and done i want to add a supercharger or small turbo. i want to push out over 400whp that is streetable. i dont want a street/strip car.

my questions are.

1. what cam is good for a setup like this? i dont want alot of thump. this is not a strip car.
2. what size injectors?
3. whats a good sc to go with that isnt really big but will give me enough power? im not looking to cut out headlights but i want some head snapping when i hit the boost.
1. I would stick with either the stock cam or something near it in spec. Being as you are changing nearly everything else I lean towards a custom cam with emphasis to be stock like in idle characteristics. Being a 331 you can go a little more aggressive with the cam and still be mild. Ed Curtis would be my first call for a specific recommendation.
2. As big as I could afford. 42 s would be the lowest I would go. Overkill of a good set will not hurt. I prefer to spend my money only once and if they don't flow clean down low and enough up high I didn't get what I wanted.
3. Vortech gets my vote as they are widely available as are there parts. Again I would go bigger. Neighbor has a YSI on his 306 to crank out 9.11 @ 149. Still very streetable.

Venomized

Reaction score
Id like to see a stock 302 make 350 hp. NOT GONNA happen. Your not gonna add 150-175 horse with a blower or turbo sorry but your sadly mistaken. a stock 302 makes 215 to 245 depending on the motor, add a blower @ 7 psi (+75-100 hp) and your only at 290-345. Turn up the boost and add ported heads and intake and you can get right at his power goals.

To the OP, GO WITH THE 331!!!! It will hold 10-12 psi just fine and thats all you need to hit your goal with the parts your wanting to use. The Vortech and Procharger Kits are respectable and a pretty forward install. You wont need anything bigger than the 42 lb injectors and a 255 LPH pump.

Venomized

Reaction score
Your right quick stang. A 331 with ported heads and intake and a custom cam with a 10-12 psi blower on it the OP will be able to reach his goal.

Mrstangerbanger

Reaction score
Id like to see a stock 302 make 350 hp. NOT GONNA happen. Your not gonna add 150-175 horse with a blower or turbo sorry but your sadly mistaken. a stock 302 makes 215 to 245 depending on the motor, add a blower @ 7 psi (+75-100 hp) and your only at 290-345. Turn up the boost and add ported heads and intake and you can get right at his power goals.

To the OP, GO WITH THE 331!!!! It will hold 10-12 psi just fine and thats all you need to hit your goal with the parts your wanting to use. The Vortech and Procharger Kits are respectable and a pretty forward install. You wont need anything bigger than the 42 lb injectors and a 255 LPH pump.

Dude you have no clue what your talking about ... Its a wast of money to run a 331 stock block with a blower its going to slit the block in less you only run 6 psi .. We are just trying to save him money .. stock block 302 with good H/C/I and 8 psi with a vortech making 450 easy.. I would never never never build a 331 or 347 with stock block in less I was running NA period.. Its a waste of money. There are people almost making 400 rwhp with stock long blocks with s trims so I have no clue what your taking about its all about boost..

We are not saying you cant run a 331 with a vortech we are saying its a waste of money . U can build a good 302 to make just as much before slitting the block ..

The problem is not power its stock block .. A stock block 302 with Gt40 heads good cam and intake with 10-12 psi will make over 400rwhp so why waste money on 331 .. But like i said we are just trying to help we have cars with blowers and are all limited with the block ..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online

No members online now.