Supercharger and PI heads

Late4Work

Reaction score
Ive read many different articles on superchargers and PI heads......many people have said that they couldnt use superchargers because of having to high of a static compression..... others say that they used the stock heads and that they were better for the supercharger...... can anyone shed some light on this subject

9psi 98

Reaction score
Port and polish your NPI heads and get the exhaust valves replaced with bigger ones, they'll flow just like the PI heads. It's what I'm running with my SC with 9#'s of boost and my compression ratio is only 9:1. It's the only way to go. Here's who did my heads.
http://www.steenracing.com/products.htm

Mbachota97

Reaction score
i did the pi head swap with a s/c and blew the motor. So now i have an 02 bullitt block in it with 04 heads. Its been a pain and i wish i wouldve dropped in a pi motor now or built one with the motor i have in my car now

OP
OP
Late4Work

Late4Work

Reaction score
Ok So if i P&P my NPI heads what kind of intake should i be running with the supercharger

9psi 98

Reaction score
Late4Work said:
Ok So if i P&P my NPI heads what kind of intake should i be running with the supercharger

That all depends on what type of SC you go with. My Roots Blower is my intake. If you go with a Centrifugal Blower, than you're going to want to go with something that won't be restrictive between your newly P&P'd heads and your SC plumbing.
P1010951.jpg

tyler96

Reaction score
Late4Work said:

yeah if you go with a roots you dont have to worry about an intake. if you go with centri s/c you could do a pi intake swap and it would do just fine.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
you can run boost with a PI head swap BUT you have to not be greedy and you better have a really good tune. Saving for a future built shortblock would be smart also.

8-10 psi max with 6-8 being safest.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
I ran my Novi on my car while it was headswapped for awhile. I actually just used an FMU, which is generally over-rich.

9psi 98

Reaction score
my96gtstang said:
so doing PI headswap plus S/C is bad?
hrm.... i always thought i read differently....

You can do it, but the NPI heads have a lower compression ratio, which is your goal when under pressure.

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
Ok well this is what i want to do.
After i graduate college which is in February i want to take out a loan and get an all stock 1996-1998 Mustang GT and make it my "project car" type thing.
A friend suggested the Road & Track Box, 1996-97 GT HT (Maximum Motorsports) for suspension.
I also liked his exhaust setup which is UPR off road X-pipe, Flowmaster Catback 40 Delta Series then he said for headers get JBA header
i was going to forge the bottom end and go with a S/C setup.
either Procharger or Vortech.
I was wondering if someone could talk to me on AIM about which stuff to get to make a good setup.
i want a street car/dailyISH 400 at least. if i got like 415 on a nice setup id be happy but yeah if i could get more i would ahah.

hit me up on aim

InFatesHands88

Fryrice

Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
you can run boost with a PI head swap BUT you have to not be greedy and you better have a really good tune. Saving for a future built shortblock would be smart also.

8-10 psi max with 6-8 being safest.

Thats the best explanation ,end of discussion. With an emphasis on a "good" tune.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
my96gtstang said:
Ok well this is what i want to do.
After i graduate college which is in February i want to take out a loan and get an all stock 1996-1998 Mustang GT and make it my "project car" type thing.
A friend suggested the Road & Track Box, 1996-97 GT HT (Maximum Motorsports) for suspension.
I also liked his exhaust setup which is UPR off road X-pipe, Flowmaster Catback 40 Delta Series then he said for headers get JBA header
i was going to forge the bottom end and go with a S/C setup.
either Procharger or Vortech.
I was wondering if someone could talk to me on AIM about which stuff to get to make a good setup.
i want a street car/dailyISH 400 at least. if i got like 415 on a nice setup id be happy but yeah if i could get more i would ahah.

hit me up on aim

InFatesHands88

If you like that exhaust then fine, if not go to streetfire and listen to some other's. Your set-up wioth a set of stage 2 heads and blower cam's would get you to your goals easily. Also plan on swapping the trans if you have a 5-speed, and beefing the rear-end a bit. You can always start a new thread for info too.

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
the tranny will be able to hold a 400 hp easy they are rated up to at least 550. the rear end i was gunna go with 3.73 gears but also looking into 3.55 because some people say get those over 3.73 for a blower setup.

i like the exhaust setup but the headers are up for debate. i like MAC headers as well so idk. this is all "planning" type things for me because once i graduate in February like i said before, whatever happens, happens. i just wanted to discuss other options and get others opinions on things, hense the talkin on AIM.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
my96gtstang said:
the tranny will be able to hold a 400 hp easy they are rated up to at least 550. the rear end i was gunna go with 3.73 gears but also looking into 3.55 because some people say get those over 3.73 for a blower setup.

i like the exhaust setup but the headers are up for debate. i like MAC headers as well so idk. this is all "planning" type things for me because once i graduate in February like i said before, whatever happens, happens. i just wanted to discuss other options and get others opinions on things, hense the talkin on AIM.

You never said what trans you intend to use, but the stock one will not hold, trust me

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
ive been told stock tranny can hold up to 550hp/tq so.....
if it wont hold and i have to get a new one id get a tko600

Fryrice

Reaction score
When people are debating the classic "what it will hold" argument ,people never mention factors ,like usage and driver behavior etc.

If you competing on a episode of Pinks they yeah ,you may very well lose your parts all over the track. Or if your drive around town with DR's and your spinning it up to 6k all the time,then yeah again you might break something.

But just to say "it will not hold" or "it will hold" isn't good enough. Some guys make it 80,000 miles on 10psi stock stock parts. Some make it 80 miles on 6psi. Theres no one explanation for it all.

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
good point, its all on drivers error and driving habits. i know that i have a "kinda heavy foot" but thats in my auto.
whenever i drive my friends cars which are all sticks i notice i drive nicer. i usually take my time and hold a speed instead of takin the foot off the gas and cruising and all. i think for my own cautionness or whatever i would get a new tranny or just "rebuild" the stock tranny. which i know you can do to hold more power.. .right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online