Supercharger and PI heads

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
damn... well i mean this is my plan

graduate in Feb.
either save up for a few months or take out a loan
buy an all stock 96-98 GT or MAYBE just MAYBE cobra but most likely a GT cuz they are cheaper to find
manual this time around
then slowly work on it
so the tranny and motor build would be a while.....

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
If you are easy on it it will last longer, but those mods aren't for people who want to drive like granny... And I'm pretty easy on mine honestly.

Fryrice

Reaction score
Man dont take out a loan to do mod's. You end up paying much more for the parts then they are worth ,and you don't truly own the parts because the bank does until its paid off.

Just save your money, these things take time unless your rich. Educate yourself on labor aspects of doing the work yourself.

You can make a GT faster than a Cobra ,and save yourself thousands of dollars in the process.

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
I just talked to Darrin over at BC Automotive about doing my stall/tranny. My goal for my car will be 450-500rwhp. He told me with this type of power simply the AODE just doesn't have strong enough parts to hold the power. So this info is coming for one of the best AODE guys in the business just to help you guys clear some stuff up! But, like said, there are other factors as well.

OP
OP
Late4Work

Late4Work

Reaction score
Well with all the power adders i plan on puttin on it i hope it will last......if i can get 400 without a supercharger i wont put it on.....but that will be hard to do.....i feel some portin and laughin gas comin on

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
Fryrice said:
Man dont take out a loan to do mod's. You end up paying much more for the parts then they are worth ,and you don't truly own the parts because the bank does until its paid off.

Just save your money, these things take time unless your rich. Educate yourself on labor aspects of doing the work yourself.

You can make a GT faster than a Cobra ,and save yourself thousands of dollars in the process.

i was going to take out the loan for the car..... not for parts...

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
This is a good question. anyone building the NPI needs to address this.
I did the PI swap when it first came avaliable, and waited until I could go all out to add boost.
as stated you can run boost on headswaped motors, you just have to stay within it's limits. Every setup has it's limits.
a good tuner can set it up to run on the higher compression, so it's not an impossible combo as some people make it sound.
There's options out now to modify the NPI's as well, and they flow pretty good.

This leads back to the origional golden question. How much power do you want, and what's your budget?
One thing I can tell you, is I should have just slapped a blower on my car 4 years ago and enjoyed that while I was waiting for the money to go all out on it.

The weak links are as follows:
Rods/pistons - low 400's
Tranny - 450 range
axles - low 500's, depending on how hard you launch or if you use slicks.
(These are rear wheel numbers)

Thoughts?

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
I think what dalamar said should become a sticky. That is some very good information that I have read as well in many other forums. His parts with their limits is right on! As said though, every setup is different and someones may hold more power, some may hold less. Its a risk you have to be willing to take.

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
all i know is i want to forge my pistons, rods, crank so i can handle the power, then get a procharger or a vortech at 10psi and make at least 400rwhp. i dont want like 1000 hp or anything extreme just a nice number that can stomp alot! haha

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
my96gtstang said:
all i know is i want to forge my pistons, rods, crank so i can handle the power, then get a procharger or a vortech at 10psi and make at least 400rwhp. i dont want like 1000 hp or anything extreme just a nice number that can stomp alot! haha

then again, at that power level you can most likely skip the crank/rods/pistons and save yourself a lot of money/time and get a very experienced dyno tuner to tune your car and be fine as well. I know what its like though to be at peace of mind and not have to worry about your car blowing up any minute at that level...

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
well the reason i was gunna forge it all is so that if i wanted to turn it up i could and it will be ready for later on in life when i get a second car and i can make the stang into like a 600+ street car lol

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
well then sounds like you got yourself a nice project coming O0
that's pretty much what i want to do with my car, but im going to keep mine closer to 500rwhp....through an auto :dancing6:

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
yeah see i have an auto 96 gt right now and i dont want it. i wanna get a stick... so i figure if i buy an ALL STOCK 96-98 GT i could just slowly work on it but im kinda starting to debate gettin a newer like edge style.... not sure... all depends...

OP
OP
Late4Work

Late4Work

Reaction score
Id go with forged internals just to be on the safe side.....and a good tune

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99