Supercharger?

Yaqub Wally Mukhtar

Reaction score
Hey guys. I have a hci setup currently with pro comp heads, holley systemax intake, and comp cams xtreme energy camshaft. I think I'm pushing 300 rwhp (just a guess) and I am considering putting a supercharger on my car. My only concern is that I don't blow the motor so I was wondering if it would be safe. Thanks!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I had trickflow heads/cam and a ported cobra intake and I figure I was around the 300 hp mark prior to installing my vortech. I too am worried about the motor but its the trans that has started to make unhappy noises first. I plan on ordering a new one this month.

OP
OP
Y

Yaqub Wally Mukhtar

Reaction score
I had trickflow heads/cam and a ported cobra intake and I figure I was around the 300 hp mark prior to installing my vortech. I too am worried about the motor but its the trans that has started to make unhappy noises first. I plan on ordering a new one this month.
Interesting, I actually plan on doing a t56 swap sometime so I think (I hope) it won't go out before that. I honestly think that the t5 transmission stock is pretty weak as my brother's foxbody's trans broke on him. How long have you had the vortech on there?

OP
OP
Y

Yaqub Wally Mukhtar

Reaction score
Yeah I really wanted a t56 because of the extra gear. It'll let me put 4.10s in the rear and still be able to drive on the highway. But I don't plan on doing that for a while so that's why I'm kinda iffy on getting a supercharger. Also its getting hard to find them used because I've been doing this build on a budget (because college) so idk.

1994stangfan

Reaction score

I have a viper t56 with a ford bellhousing that came out of my 5.0 sn95. It will be for sale shortly. Has only 1300miles on it

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I know how much it costs to get little things across the boarder I would be scared sheetless to know what a tranny would cost.

TrickVert

Reaction score
Installing a supercharger isn't an automatic recipe for potential disaster. You can stay as "safe" as you want by insuring sufficient fuel and spark, and via the tune. My HCI combo made 272 RWHP prior to installing the Vortech SQ. I had it tuned to hit 400 RWHP (and 375 lb-ft torque) and had them then finish it out at that level, as it's what I felt was a safe limit. There was likely another easy 25 HP to be had as-is, and I could have gone even higher with the next size down pulley. Mods are in the link in my signature.

Edit: Most everything I got for the blower addition was bought from the Corral classifieds and via similar sources. It took about two years, but I saved a lot of money.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Y

Yaqub Wally Mukhtar

Reaction score
Also what type of supercharger should I be looking at? I'm thinking a roots-style one because I like the look and sound of them, but I want to hear what y'all think.

OP
OP
Y

Yaqub Wally Mukhtar

Reaction score
Installing a supercharger isn't an automatic recipe for potential disaster. You can stay as "safe" as you want by insuring sufficient fuel and spark, and via the tune. My HCI combo made 272 RWHP prior to installing the Vortech SQ. I had it tuned to hit 400 RWHP (and 375 lb-ft torque) and had them then finish it out at that level, as it's what I felt was a safe limit. There was likely another easy 25 HP to be had as-is, and I could have gone even higher with the next size down pulley. Mods are in the link in my signature.

Edit: Most everything I got for the blower addition was bought from the Corral classifieds and via similar sources. It took about two years, but I saved a lot of money.
Your build looks epic! Just a question, did you add an intercooler for your blower? I think I want to add one even though I'll probably not run too much boost. Also how many psi are you running?

dcm0123

Reaction score
Stock 5.0 is not built to withstand the HP especially if you have high mileage. At 150K with Trick flow heads, cam and intake. block cracked up the middle under the intake. Cam bearings came out when I pulled the cam out. This is where the blocks are known to fail.

351W is a much better choice. We transferred trick flow heads and upper intake to the 351W and added a blower. 351 "stock" block is supposed to be good for over 600HP. My recollection was 302 stock was good for about 400HP.

The 351W with roller cam was used in a lot of pick ups. Motor mounts, transmission and most accessories will bolt up. Aftermarket exhaust manifold from 1995 Mustang 351W was available from Summit. If you can still find this, I would seriously give it some thought.

TrickVert

Reaction score
Also what type of supercharger should I be looking at? I'm thinking a roots-style one because I like the look and sound of them, but I want to hear what y'all think.
First, there's a common misconception that positive-displacement supercharges are all "roots blowers." Most positive-displacement supercharges available for our cars are actually not "roots" type, but "twin screw." HERE is a good page that describes the differences. (Now you know why those Weiand blowers stick out of the hood a mile.) Boost from a twin-screw blower (Kenne Bell, M31, etc.) is generated immediately off idle, generating increased HP and torque at low RPM, leading to the ability to shred tires on a whim. They also produce tremendous amounts of heat, and just about demand a meth-injection system. Kenne Bell kits for the 94/95 are hard to find, and usually expensive.

A centrifugal blower (Vortech, Paxton, ATI, etc.) usually doesn't start producing boost (and the associated additional power) until higher in the power band. This allows for almost stock-like drivability when "keeping your foot out of it." Boost is builds more linearly as RPM's pass about 3,000 leading to smooth power delivery as the revs rise. Cenri's also heat the air charge (a byproduct of compressing the air), but nowhere near as much as twin-screw variants. For this reason, cooling measures like intercoolers and meth injection are not required with relatively low levels of boost.

Your build looks epic! Just a question, did you add an intercooler for your blower? I think I want to add one even though I'll probably not run too much boost. Also how many psi are you running?
I appreciate your comment! It was a long time in the making.

My V2/SQ makes 10PSI at 6,000 RPM, and I do not have an intercooler or meth injection. At this level it isn't really needed, though if I wanted to increase my HP, reducing the intake air temperature (IAT) would allow more timing which, in turn, would likely raise the output. I'm happy with my current power levels, though, so I don't intend to change it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online