Supercoil fail story

carbuff

Reaction score
Last year I replaced the stock coil on my 98 3.8 auto for no particular reason other than the need to add something "performance" to the car. I knew it would not be a noticeable improvement but perhaps I might gain a few mpgs. New wires, plugs, were done too. It seemed the same. I store the car for the winter so I put it back on the road a few weeks ago. It seemed to run fine for a car with 236k on the clock. I noticed a few times pulling out of work at night onto a busy road that it was lacking some power and bogging a bit. It seemed to go away. today I got the car inspected, it passed no problems. As I went to pull out I noticed that the car had no power and was bogging like it was running on 5 cylinders or something. But it idled so smooth. I figured that they must have reset the computer and it needed to learn again. I drove it around ans still the same problem. I got home and it idled so nice but if I hit the gas it sputtered. I shut it down. I remembered all the people who told me not to get the accel coil, that it was junk and had a high failure rate. 5 minutes later I had swapped my old coil back in. Started it up and vroom when I gassed it. Drove it around and beat the crap out of it with all the power that it used to have. Moral of the story, accel super coils suck. Beware.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online