surging probmes PLEASE HEALP.....

fast5oh

Reaction score
alright so about 2 nights ago i have noticed this problem. when i take off or any time i am accelerating. it surges like its not getting fuel or something so i have been thinking fuel pump i just replaced the filter. but my fuel pump sounds the same as it always has. i dont know if it would change or not?

and i have also noticed now that i have a small exhaust leak but i dont think it would make it do that either. all my info is in my sig. i have added new denso iridium plugs if that helps to but that just made my car more responsive once i put them in. so if you have any input or have had this problem your self send some info my way becuse i am lost right now. thanks.

ryclef331

Reaction score
start with basics. Clean the MAF and check your TPS voltage. I'd check the maf first. An oiled K&N will gum up the wires on it REAL quick.

OP
OP
F

fast5oh

Reaction score
alright thanks man i will do that one today and get back to ya. i just cleaned the filter to when i did the plugs so it might have just started to take affect who knows. thanks for the info though and i will tell ya how it goes.

94mstng94

Reaction score
Mine was doing the same thing also with an unstable idle... I smoke tested the engine today... Vacuum leaks at the lower intake manifold and injector O-rings... Will see if its corrected tomorrow!

OP
OP
F

fast5oh

Reaction score
ok so today i went back to my old job over at future ford and hooked up with one of my buddys and got his NGS so i ran some tests. and i got a code 332 and a 31 both are egr codes so i looked around the egr and the vaccume line that comes off the top of it had a hole in it from melting on my exhaust. so i was like oh wow thats a easy fix so i fixed that. but still the same surging problem. oh and i figured out the knocking sound to it was coming from the belt tensioner lol thank god. kinda feel like a dumb ass though :bunny3: but anyways if anyone has had some more experince with these codes please let me know this surging thing is really getting old. thanks guys for the help so far.

ryclef331

Reaction score
You still didn't say...did you do what I said before yet?

Downshift

Reaction score
We cleaned the maf yesterday wasnt very dirty. Chris I got volt meter from work haha so we can check your tps voltage.
Think maybe time to replace the ACT?
Hey rycleff you think a bad coil would cause surging I am not sure how but never know.
Chris I would put some different plugs in real quick and just see if those plugs funked anything up. I mean your car was running fine til all of the sudden.

OP
OP
F

fast5oh

Reaction score
lol alright sweet man. ya it seems when i cleaned the maf it helped out a little bit. i dont think its the plugs though unless i am just not getting enough spark to them. but on friday i will be buying a new coil so its all good. with that one.

phil_the_thrill

Reaction score
my guess is the plugs. try some medium priced coppers. thats what was wrong with my truck

ryclef331

Reaction score
phil_the_thrill said:
my guess is the plugs. try some medium priced coppers. thats what was wrong with my truck

Its NOT the plugs. BUT you should be running just some plain jane autolites or motorcrafts. don't buy into the platinum splitfire bullshit. NGK iridiums or Denso's are fine too but for 8 bucks a pop....pass.

So, you've cleaned the maf...is it a stock MAF? Do you have a Cold air intake? Check TPS and clean the Idle air control valve.

Read here...

http://www.muscularmustangs.com/iac.php

phil_the_thrill

Reaction score
platinums deff. screwed with my truck. had all the same symptoms would also cut out while going down the road

ripper

Reaction score
So, you've cleaned the maf...is it a stock MAF? Do you have a Cold air intake? Check TPS and clean the Idle air control valve.

+1 IAC for sure

OP
OP
F

fast5oh

Reaction score
ok so the update for today is that i checked the TPS and it was around .93 so i will be fixing that one tomorrow and then i checked the ACT and it was out of range to so i will be replacing that also. and yes my MAF is stock. and my IAC is in good shape it is cleaned and in specs. and for the plugs i dont see why they would be a problem they are denso iridiums and i know a few guys that run them and they are great. i just dont think i am getting enough spark to them out of my coil i will take a pic of it tomorrow and post it up to see what you guys think it is pretty crusty i must say. thanks for all the info though guys i hope i am going to get through this one soon.

ryclef331

Reaction score
Again, I HIGHLY doubt you coil is the problem. Crusty doesn't mean "bad." Just b/c the heatsink is rusted, the coil can still function just fine. My MSD looks like a dirty asshole but works like a champ! The TPS isn't TOO far out of whack but that COULD help. You didn't mention if you have a cold air intake or not. Also, after you make thiese changes...make sure you reset the computer after each time.

Downshift

Reaction score
Ill answer for him lol.
He has half a cai.
He has the cold air part, the filter is in the fender and he has the elbow that puts it into the fender but the stock acordian style upper part.

He keeps pulling egr codes I think he said 332 was one of them. He fixed the vac line but still pullin em. Im not sure if he did the battery thing yet i told him to lol.

ryclef331

Reaction score
5.0wned said:
Ill answer for him lol.
He has half a cai.
He has the cold air part, the filter is in the fender and he has the elbow that puts it into the fender but the stock acordian style upper part.

He keeps pulling egr codes I think he said 332 was one of them. He fixed the vac line but still pullin em. Im not sure if he did the battery thing yet i told him to lol.

MAFs are sensitive to turbulence. They like to have either the stock air box set up OR a straight section of pipe before they read the air. having a open element filter right before an elbow going onto the MAF can give some cars alot of issues. Like I told another guy earlier this week...try clocking the MAF...rotate it 90 degrees, try it, rotate it again, try it etc. ALOT of little things can throw your car into a surging pain in the ass idle....

Downshift

Reaction score
ryclef331 said:
5.0wned said:
Ill answer for him lol.
He has half a cai.

MAFs are sensitive to turbulence. They like to have either the stock air box set up OR a straight section of pipe before they read the air. having a open element filter right before an elbow going onto the MAF can give some cars alot of issues. Like I told another guy earlier this week...try clocking the MAF...rotate it 90 degrees, try it, rotate it again, try it etc. ALOT of little things can throw your car into a surging pain in the ass idle....

Im not arguing with you by any means im just curious. Why would it do this all of the sudden? He has had that elbow on there for over a year now.

Cobrakid

Reaction score
If you have checked the IAC, MAF, TPS and other regualr things, Ill put a beer on it that its the magnetic pickup in the dizzy.

pull the cap and rotor, take off the top of the dizzy thats under the rotor, bet the magnetic pickup wiggles, if it does, replace the dizzy and you owe me a beer :)

ryclef331

Reaction score
I'm not arguing that its the MAF causing it. I was just suggesting another thing to look into.

As for the mag pickup, don't replace the WHOLE dizzy b/c of it being loose....You can replace just the pick up itself for cheap. Its two screws that hold it down i think. I doubt thats it but it take two seconds to check.

Cobrakid

Reaction score
i honestly don't know crap about dizzy's, but know that was a major problem on mine. i just happen to pick up a used one for cheap and it fixed the problem. mine was BAD though, every revolution it banged against the side of the dizzy. you can only imagine what it was telling the computer to do ???

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
albertmarshall7752

Members online