Suspension and tire advice

OP
OP
S

searay86

Reaction score
ReplicaR I just found your build thread. brb taking notes on everything in the thread lol. Local guy has a gibbs k member, tube lower control arms, koni double adjustable coilovers and mm caster plates for 850 or the coilovers and caster plates for 500. Think its a deal? Never been used. and he doesn't know the spring rates

E:buying the coilovers and plates for 475 today :D

OP
OP
S

searay86

Reaction score
Hello ya'll!
A little update on my autox career

I ended up totalling my 98 last fall:( but over the winter I got into a 99. Been running FS as the car is stock. And yeah I know about the illegal bumper, my region is cool with it.

Getting a lot of seat time this summer and the last event this sunday. Just before last event I picked up a set re71rs. GOOOOD LORD the different. Going from destroyed all seasons to 200 TW is crazy. Learning left foot braking during oversteer also added to the speed. Last event out of 8 mustangs I was the fastest and within a second of a m3 in FS. Looking into the winter Ill be getting a roll bar and harness. Then at sometime a sway bar. At that point I'll be maxed out for FS.

how you guys uploading pictures?? flickr isnt working

Warhorse Racing

Reaction score
Searay86,

Last year, I created the Warhorse Racing YouTube Channel to inspire people to get their 1979-2004 Mustangs out to autocross events. I’ve been building the channel into a comprehensive resource for Mustang drivers looking to start autocrossing.

I’ve been autocrossing these cars for years. I’ve won local CAM Class championships, but I’m most proud of being a Novice Instructor for two local clubs. I love helping people get familiar with autocross, and I especially love helping people in 1979-2004 Mustangs realize the potential of their cars.

FS allows Adjustable Shocks & Struts as well as an additional sway bar.

Here’s a link to one of my videos that showcases the parts I used on my 1992 GT and my 2000 GT. They make a HUGE difference and they are legal in Street Class…

And here’s a link to my channel. You’ll find AUTOCROSS TIPS, real world PARTS REVIEWS, and RESULTS VIDEOS for my 2000 GT and my 2004 IRS-Swapped V6…

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOEWzAT17XoeGzSWysT1NXw/videos

I hope the videos help. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

OP
OP
S

searay86

Reaction score
Thanks @evilcw311 so heres pics! And @Warhorse Racing I didnt know about the allowed shocks and struts. You're confident about that?

0626f475310672c5cdab67a2e22c2a6f.jpg
ffdcf860bb00121f4b9180439cd61378.jpg

Last edited:

Warhorse Racing

Reaction score
Searay86,

This is an excerpt from the 2019 SCCA Street Class Rules. You can find the PDF on the SCCA website. The Street Class rules start on page 73. Rules for shocks and struts start on page 78:

****13.5 SHOCK ABSORBERS/STRUTS

A. The make of shock absorbers, struts, and strut housings may be substituted providing that the number, type (e.g., tube, lever, etc.), system of attachment and attachment points are not altered, except as noted below. The interchange of gas and hydraulic shocks absorbers is permitted. The following restrictions apply: 1. No more than 2 (two) separate external shock damping adjustment controls are allowed. This permits the use of shocks which originally came with more than two external adjustments, which have been converted to double-adjustables, only if the additional adjustment controls have been permanently disabled (e.g., via welding, epoxying, grinding off). Gas pressure adjustment is not considered a damping adjustment.****

That means any of the single-adjustable shocks from Tokico, Koni and other brands are fine. I have had a lot of success with Tokico llluminas and D-Specs over the years. They are hard to find now, so most people are using Konis. You want to be able to adjust the shocks and struts from the top so you don’t have to crawl under the car between runs.

I’m happy to help with any other questions you have.

OP
OP
S

searay86

Reaction score
Warhorse,

I see what you're talking about makes sense. Guess who has double adjustable koni coilovers just sitting at home lol. For what I want to do in street class I'm content with stock shocks. Ill keep an eye out tho for steals.

And guess what??? I pulled off the season championship for my local region. It all happened in my last run of the day lmao. My only clean run was run 8 and was enough.

But looking at the winter I'll see if I can pick up some shocks. An on going issue I seem to have is sliding around and holding myself in the seat. Im lucky enough to get my hands on a free set of harnesses. in street class I saw you can have either 4 point bolted cage or roll bar welded for street. I'll probably pick a roll bar up over the winter.

Thanks alot for clearing the shocks up

Warhorse Racing

Reaction score
Searay86,

Congratulations on the FS championship! That’s really cool. Keep proving that these cars are great at autocross!

Flopping around in the seat is a big issue in our Mustangs. I run Corbeau seats and 3-pt. harnesses in my cars. The harnesses keep me pretty locked into the seat. But, because I’m trying to keep weight down, I don’t run a roll bar or cage. Removing the rear seat bottom allows me to get just the right angle (according to the Corbeau instructions) for the rear mount on the 3-pt. harness to be safe. This passes autocross tech, but I have been told by track drivers that this setup might not pass a track tech (I thought I'd mention that if you plan on tracking your car).

You can’t remove the rear seat bottom in FS, but you might want to check a few things before adding the weight of the roll bar.

1. Corbeau makes a number of different harnesses. It might be possible to mount one of them with your rear seat in place.
  2. There’s a product called the CG-Lock that works with your stock seatbelt to lock it into place. I have driven cars with CG-Locks installed and they work really well.
  3. Corbeau makes a harness bar that MIGHT fall under the “C-Type” bar listed in the SCCA rules excerpt below…
****Street Class Section 13.2: A horizontal “harness bar” may be used as part of the installation hardware for allowed driver restraints provided it has no more than 2 attachment points to the chassis and is bolted at those locations. A C-type harness bar may also be used. It may have 4 bolted attachment points to the chassis (2 primary and 2 supporting connections to resist rotation). Truss-type harness bars with more than two (2) attachment points are not allowed.****

It’s worth asking Doug at the SCCA if the Corbeau harness bar is legal in FS. It’s lighter, less expensive and easier to install than a roll bar.

OP
OP
S

searay86

Reaction score
I've heard of those CG-locks but never pulled the trigger. another possibility. You're opening my eyes to alot lol. Those C-type harness bars seems like a good idea. Ill ask around about the legal side of it.

Also back to how awesome these cars. Took it on a 500 mile road trip couple weekends ago and did great. Back hurt and my ears were ringing but got there lol. Even was averaging over 20 mpg. You can literally do anything with these cars.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online