Suspension for '96 GT

Discussion in 'The Safe Zone' started by krazyrabbit, Jan 27, 2014.

1. krazyrabbit

krazyrabbit Active Member

Trying to learn as much as I can about the suspension system in my car, want to know the names of all the parts and how they work BEFORE I buy them. It's hard because a lot of what I'm finding assumes that the reader already is knowledgeable about automotive systems.

My goal: weekend cruiser, no racing but lowered and better handling than stock.

So far I've managed to get a few used parts:
    H&R Super Sport Springs
    Steeda bumpsteer kit
    Maximum Motorsports Caster Camber Plates
    Blistien Struts – used from a '03 Cobra 35k

So, here's my shopping list of possible parts from MM:

[TABLE="width: 332"]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Steering Rack Bushings, Solid, 1985-04 Mustang with stock k-member[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Urethane front spring isolators, 1984-04 Mustang[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Urethane rear spring isolators, 1979-04 Mustang[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Swaybar Bushing, 30 mm[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Urethane Bushing kit for HD RLCA's, 1979-98[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]12mm hardware kit for RLCA mounting, 1979-98 Mustang[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Heavy-Duty Mustang Rear Lower Control Arms, 1979-98[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Ford Mustang Rear Upper Control Arms, solid axle, 1979-04[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]1987-04 Bilstein HD series shock (24-064187)[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

I'm still a bit confused about ball joints - I know there are upper and lower, but are they only on the front end? I read that replacing the front control arms with OEM 03/04 Cobra arms is a good improvement. If I manage to find a pair, how many ball joints, and what kind, do I need?

Thanks in advance for any info and advice!

2. OnyxCobra

OnyxCobra Legend

There are only lower ball joints up front, and the OEM Cobra ones will be just fine. as far as the rear lower control arms they'll come with bushings, you don't need to buy additional ones. same goes for the upper control arms. you souldn't need the hardware kit either unless yours is busted.

3. Ferocious

Ferocious Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

How many miles are on your car? I don't see the need to replace sway bar bushings.

You can also save some money by not purchasing new isos if yours are still in good shape or by just getting rid of them all together.
    And skip the upper control arms. They won't do anything for a street car that is never raced. You can replace the bushings up there but replacing the arms is a waste.

4. krazyrabbit

krazyrabbit Active Member

The car's odometer gave out at 177k who knows how long ago when the last owner had the car. I've put about 300 miles on it, so I'm guessing around 200k. Thanks for the advice on the uppers!

5. Shifty Powers

Shifty Powers Well-Known Member

Replace bushings all over.. Do not replace upper CAs and only replace the upper CA bushings with other rubber ones.. the rest can be poly.

6. RichV

RichV Well-Known Member

You actually did very well. The list is a complete suspension overhaul. Onyx is right about the additional bushing, you will not need them.

I would probably NOT go with solid rack bushings, not for street. I had a delrin set and you can really feel every bump. Go with a poly set.

On the upper CA, Shifty is correct that you should replace just bushings in the CA and the axle. But it's easier just to get the whole thing, they sure have increased the price of those tho.

Add a set of these: http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-...ll-8604-GSBasicFitmentV1&year=1991&adtype=pla

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]