Suspension help!

AJCrader

Reaction score
I am building my '01 GT to be track only(other than having to drive it to the track), and I'm having trouble finding the info I need.

The car sits high up(stock with 26" wheels), and want to lower it with the best bang for my buck.

I am very ignorant when it comes to suspension, and need some help. I want it to be driveable on the street, but designed for strip use primarily.

Should I get 1.5" lowering springs, how important are 90/10's in the front, should I box in the rear control arms or buy new ones? I want to stay away from coilovers for now! Please any help would be hugely appreciated.

If it helps it will be on 26x11.50 drag radials, and has 4.56 spooled/31-spline rear end, otherwise it is stock currently.

I'm basically looking for a good build list that will be consistent, but last me for a while!

RichV

Reaction score
26" wheels??? :)

Do you mean 26" diameter wheel/tire?

TanTop94

Reaction score
If you buy purpose built drag springs they aren't that bad of a ride especially with all that tire. Then you could buy my coilovers for the front. Tehe

Addermk2

Reaction score
Ive got an eibach drag spring kit that I could sell you for silly cheap.

Addermk2

Reaction score
I have the fronts too.

sude4u6e.jpg

OP
OP
A

AJCrader

Reaction score
I have the fronts too.

sude4u6e.jpg

How necessary is the bag, I had those on an old 86 GT, and worked like shit, but then again, no clue what I was doing...when you say silly cheap how much to ship to 85308?

I don't want to go too crazy now because in a few years will be tubbing the rear, and re-doing the entire front suspension...just want to be better than stock...if I should be fine with stock I'll keep it that way other than just buying some lowering springs/drag springs to get the car to sit down some

Addermk2

Reaction score
Dropping the car won't help you launch any better. In most cases, it actually makes things worse.

Those springs are usually $259 for the set. Depending on where you are, I could go as low as $125 shipped.

As for the air bag... You need to have pressure in it. I did well with about 12 psi. It also helps to have some good control arms in the rear. And I'm not talking about some bullshit $150 made in China crap either.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend my rear setup to ANYONE who intended to drag only.

OP
OP
A

AJCrader

Reaction score
Thanks...I just had some financial crap come up within the last 30 mins, so I may not have the money I thought I had...will let you know once I know!

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have a couple options on rear springs. You can use the stock springs with a coil cut to get the desired ride height, or you can run a set of Team Z's new drag race rear springs. They are specifically designed for drag racing, but give the car a drop. I just installed them on my car. For the fronts, you can get a set of the Eibach, Moroso, etc drag springs, you can convert to coilovers, or you can do like I did and throw a set of fox body 4 cylinder springs in it. As far as front struts go, you can run an adjustable strut from Tokico or Strange. That way you can soften the fronts up for the track and then tighten them up for the ride home. Rear shocks you have the same options, or you can run a set of Lakewood 50/50s. Ive ran an airbag and its definitely helped my car out, but an anti roll bar is the best way to go. I also took the front sway bar off to help with weight transfer. Like mentioned above, get a good set of rear control arms, because if you start hooking hard, you have a good chance of spitting bushings out of the cheaper control arms. It doesn't take a whole bunch of parts and engineering to get these cars 60 footing. Different people will have different things that work better for them, but at the end of the day, its all about weight transfer and planting the rear tires.

OP
OP
A

AJCrader

Reaction score
You have a couple options on rear springs. You can use the stock springs with a coil cut to get the desired ride height, or you can run a set of Team Z's new drag race rear springs. They are specifically designed for drag racing, but give the car a drop. I just installed them on my car. For the fronts, you can get a set of the Eibach, Moroso, etc drag springs, you can convert to coilovers, or you can do like I did and throw a set of fox body 4 cylinder springs in it. As far as front struts go, you can run an adjustable strut from Tokico or Strange. That way you can soften the fronts up for the track and then tighten them up for the ride home. Rear shocks you have the same options, or you can run a set of Lakewood 50/50s. Ive ran an airbag and its definitely helped my car out, but an anti roll bar is the best way to go. I also took the front sway bar off to help with weight transfer. Like mentioned above, get a good set of rear control arms, because if you start hooking hard, you have a good chance of spitting bushings out of the cheaper control arms. It doesn't take a whole bunch of parts and engineering to get these cars 60 footing. Different people will have different things that work better for them, but at the end of the day, its all about weight transfer and planting the rear tires.

Lots of great info, thanks...ATM no issues hooking, but I do plan to have some more power soon enough, just need the funds again...

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
J&M Street Rear Lower control arms. Just put them in with a buddy and it made a pretty big difference on the street. Rear is tighter and stays a bit straighter launching

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online