Suspension Inspections

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
I need to get this checked out because something on my front end is screwed up. On the highway the car feels like its going left and right and the steering is very loose on the highway. Very scary.. feels like its wants to drive into cars in both lanes @ highway speeds. When i correct it just feels odd like the car is not on ground.. like its floating above the ground.

NExt question. Im going to need a alignment after all this done. Currently i have on my winter wheels which are 205-65-15... someone told me i need to put on my 275-45-17 summer wheels for the alignment or else im going to have problems when summer comes. Is that right??

Thanks

OP
OP
T

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
I was told my left inner and outter tie rods are bad and my rack and pinon is loose. They say the loose rack is causing my loose steering.

How easy would this be to fix?

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would thing the rack bushings is all you need to tighten up the rack itself. Easy peasy.

OP
OP
T

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
Quoted $500 to get this stuff done. Might just put the car away for winter now lol. $500 installed for 1 side tie rods and new bushing on rack,.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
If the rack isn't leaking then all your need to replace is the bushings and tie rod ends, you may as well look at the ball joints too.

OP
OP
T

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
If the rack isn't leaking then all your need to replace is the bushings and tie rod ends, you may as well look at the ball joints too.

Cool. It's going to the shop this week to get the work done. Not going to touch anything like this when I have no idea about it.

* Sent from tapatalk while sitting on the toilet at work*

OP
OP
T

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
Got a A second
Opinion. Everything is fine but I seen with both my eyes that my lower ball joints have play :(. Time to say good bye to the steeda x2s. So the first shop was a to a rip off.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Got a A second
Opinion. Everything is fine but I seen with both my eyes that my lower ball joints have play :(. Time to say good bye to the steeda x2s. So the first shop was a to a rip off.

Maybe not. I heard lots of bad reports about the Steeda x2's.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yea I recommend not using them to everyone who questions using them

ivan12

Reaction score
Could also be a worn rack, I just replaced mine and the rack itself was shot/loose even though it wasn't leaking. I replaced it with an 03/04 reman cobra unit, no way to know that it's 100% cobra but I can feel the difference in my steering. Re-used the near new offset bushings I had so can't be attributed to new bushings.

95opal

Reaction score
Common wear items on the front end... Ball joints, control arm bushings, inner outer tie rods, rack bushings, steering shaft rag joint.
Could be any one or more of these.

Replacements:

03-04 rack and shaft
tubular or 03-04 control arm
Maximum motorsports solid rack bushings

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
[MENTION=9659]95opal[/MENTION] whats the difference in the 03/04 cobra shaft?

I'm rockin' a MM solid unit right now and love it.

410sn95

Reaction score
The 03-04 Cobra rack supposedly has the best steering "feel" next to the 2000 Cobra R steering rack.

The 2000 R rack is imposssible to find, though. You can still source a 03-04 Cobra rack.

The different steering "feel" in the rack has a lot to do with the spool valves in the different racks.

Edit: oops... saw you asked about the shaft. I am not sure what makes the 03-04 shaft any better than stock. I know some say it tightens up steering...

Butch

Reaction score
Good deal. Shall look into those when the time comes

Sent from your moms breastesses

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
I'm surprised that no one mentioned the steering shaft. I still haven't replaced mine yet, but it does contribute to the play in the steering wheel and steering all together. I noticed a immediate improvement from new inner/outer tie rods, bumspteer kit, and MM/CC plates. Only thing left is the steering shaft, when the summer hits you can really feel the play.

Butch

Reaction score
I'm surprised that no one mentioned the steering shaft. I still haven't replaced mine yet, but it does contribute to the play in the steering wheel and steering all together. I noticed a immediate improvement from new inner/outer tie rods, bumspteer kit, and MM/CC plates. Only thing left is the steering shaft, when the summer hits you can really feel the play.

My wheel has a little play, about 1/2", been thinking uh boot the steering shaft. Factory replace or¿

Sent from your moms breastesses

95opal

Reaction score

\/ \/ \/ \/

Common wear items on the front end... Ball joints, control arm bushings, inner outer tie rods, rack bushings, steering shaft rag joint.
Could be any one or more of these.

Replacements:

03-04 rack and shaft
tubular or 03-04 control arm
Maximum motorsports solid rack bushings

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ccrider

Members online