Suspension upgrade !

Steve-Oh

Legend
Reaction score
Wow i read everything. The first thing i said to myself is "why not MM." I wish I could of followed this from the beginning and advised you to go MM from the beginning. They are FANTASTIC with cus ser and their tech line is awsome! Their products are very well made. Glad to see you have everything squared away looks awesome!

OP
OP
Dalamar

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Steve-Oh said:
Wow i read everything. The first thing i said to myself is "why not MM." I wish I could of followed this from the beginning and advised you to go MM from the beginning. They are FANTASTIC with cus ser and their tech line is awsome! Their products are very well made. Glad to see you have everything squared away looks awesome!

Thanks Steve-Oh.
that's what I was saying to myself when I wrote this up lastnight.
What I did, was had the HP Twin turbo kit quoted from a guy who recommended the GMS supspension stuff to go with it.
said he's sold a bunch like that, and had no issues. Plus it was less expensive. So I believed him and ordered the suspension parts. :comando:
I wanted get the suspension bought and on, and do the turbo side of the kit next.
well, I got into the problems, and once I got into learning the suspension , I just went aheaad and did the whole car.

the QA1 sutff is for clearance for the turbo's & intercooler piping. The MM K member won't work with it
(or I would have sent it back and got theirs!)

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah I have Tokico Illumias all around and the MM coil overs up front, I couldnt find a 'good' set of coil-overs that will work with the rear though, MM doesnt sell a REAR kit for the Illuminas?! Either way from now on any car I want to perform well in handling im going with coil-overs for sure. I love them.

What spring rate did you go with? I got 325# and think its pretty damn good, might of gone 350# at the most.

Steve-Oh

Legend
Reaction score
Ahh i see. So in the end it pretty much worked out well for you. I did the same when I did my suspension (not as in-depth as yours) and i found that suspension site you posted and printed everything out, very informative! Lots of research involved in it and lots to learn. Now its time for you to get started on the TT build, that should be absolutely sick! Thats the route i'm taking once i start to dump the money into the car. Goodluck with her, she's looking good!

OP
OP
Dalamar

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks Steve-Oh
Your car looks awsome BTW.

I will post up my build on that when i get into it.
Right now I'm finishing up my body, and paint.
and doing forged rods and pistons.

then the TT, and i'm done...... probably.

It just takes too long to get an extra 10K.

Matt - I have 300# on the front and 200# on the rear.
my struts are the Koni 5 way adjustables.
I agree, much over 350 would be too firm.

tomustang

Reaction score
Damn Dalamar, I'm sorry you learned the hard way about GMS dogshit, I advise you if you have any other GMS crap on your car to remove it asap before you get killed by one of their failed parts

Matt94GT said:
Yeah I have Tokico Illumias all around and the MM coil overs up front, I couldnt find a 'good' set of coil-overs that will work with the rear though, MM doesnt sell a REAR kit for the Illuminas?!
No because coil-over kits from MM are specific with the springs

OP
OP
Dalamar

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, I really wanna drive my car...
It sit's funny now that there's no engine in it!

nasmscott

Reaction score
Holy crap that is a lot of stuff. My wife would kill me if Ibought all of that! Awesome.

OP
OP
Dalamar

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks 97gtconv & Nasmscott,

lets just say that the wife mentioned it more than once :)

OP
OP
Dalamar

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Update:

Finished the suspension off with a 3 link conversion, known as a Torque arm.

Superior handeling in every way :)

Took off the GMS LCA's and went with the MM's Heavy Duty arms with sphearacals on both ends.
Maximum Motorsports Rocks!

Matched the pinion angle of the tranny and she's ready to roll.
I'm excited to see how it rides!!

parts.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

OP
OP
Dalamar

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, she rides good!
like a whole different car! ;D

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I bet she does, you could feed a small country with what all that cost O0

Did you get a real good hard corner twisting ride in yet?

OP
OP
Dalamar

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
not yet. She's in for paint right now.

I'm actually swapping out the rear coilovers to complete the package.
The cost is relative, motor and suspension puts me at about half the cost of a new mustang, without the insturance increase :)
and you know if I were to get a new ride, the mods would still be in line.

I pushed it fairly hard, but no screaching corners yet.
it's amazing how stable it feels. the car stays totally lever in the corners. The car feels like it's not even trying.
It's not even comparable to the stock ride.
It will be fun to push it harder.
I plan on hitting the motorsport track this summer.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I bet that will take to the road course real well. After i installed my springs and front/rear control arms i hit this hairpin turn on a highway near my house. With the stock suspension but with wider tires i could do it @ 70mph before i would hear the tires starting to break loose but after the Steeda Springs/Tokico's/Steeda rear control arms and Cobra front Control arms i took it @ 110mph and could have pushed it harder ;) With your setup i might be able to do 120-125...

svtboy

Reaction score
Looks good........ But I learned a long time ago to do it right the first time. I was going to tell you to get rid of the uppers and get lowers without a spring perch. And put a torque arm. But it looks like you already did. buying things 3 and 4 times usually cost more then buying good stuff the first time.

Only thing that I would have gone with steeda's caster camber plates. Maximum motorsports makes every thing else better but there caster camber plates.

Plummod96

Reaction score
Dalamar said:
The cost is relative, motor and suspension puts me at about half the cost of a new mustang, without the insturance increase :)
I agree Dalamar!Your car is going to be as good if not better than almost all the new cars on the road. 8)We all know mods would be in line,as soon as we bought a new one.lol
You finally made some great choices for your suspension...looks great too!!!

voidfinger

Reaction score
man thats really sweet dal.

So with the torque arm and pan hard bar, you won't need those upper control arms right? so it just works off the t-arm/panhard/and lowers?

So i was going to replace all the bushings in my car when i put the new shocks/struts and springs in and was wondering what you thought about the poly bushings on the upper control arm? I just need to replace them all since they are bad and squikes,pops, and all kinda noices and body roll like a mother. Anyway, since they are all in a kit i thought i might go with that.

On the k member i was thinking of swapping a tubular one in and keeping the spring set up with a spring perch. i saw one in summit or jegs that looks nice but i can't remember the name. Is the QA1 any good?

Sorry for all this but i'm trying to get this stuff lined up for my car then i can worry with the 5.4 2v swap :)

OP
OP
Dalamar

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
svtboy said:
buying things 3 and 4 times usually cost more then buying good stuff the first time.

aint that the truth, so in the long run MM is not only the best, it's the most cost effective!!
thanks for the props.

OP
OP
Dalamar

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Plummod96 said:
Dalamar said:
I agree Dalamar!Your car is going to be as good if not better than almost all the new cars on the road. 8)We all know mods would be in line,as soon as we bought a new one.lol
You finally made some great choices for your suspension...looks great too!!!

Thanks man, that's how I look at it.
the suspension will kick some ass, and still ride great on the street. I'm stoked to be close to done with this 2 year project.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online