suspension

chrajohns0

Reaction score
my car rides like ..... well its not soft. i feel any bump. i done knot if the springs are stock or what. anything i can do? its just a rough ride. and when i hit bumps the steering bounces around. any suggestions? :help2:

stangs4life

Reaction score
My 95 had a similar harsh ride and it turned out to be the struts and shocks. They were basically blown - looked original equipment. I'll infer from your post that you haven't touched the supension. Do you know if anyone else has? And are you going to mod (springs, sway bars, struts / shocks...) or just want a smoother ride?

OP
OP
C

chrajohns0

Reaction score
i have no idea what has been done if anything to the suspension. i would like to drop it. and i have been told that this will create the rough ride too. right?

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
chrajohns0 said:
i have no idea what has been done if anything to the suspension. i would like to drop it. and i have been told that this will create the rough ride too. right?

In some cases yes, but if you use quality springs its not really noticeable :)

stangs4life

Reaction score
I believe that you'll find your smoothest ride from progressive springs. I'm running Ford "C" springs combined with KYB GR2s at the moment. The front spings are not progressive in this set. they gave me what I was looking for, about a 1" drop in the front and a .75" in the rear to get rid of the 4X look and tighten up the handling a bit.

I drive 60 miles a day one way to work and I haven't found the combo to be too harsh. But that's me - one mans not that harsh is another mans 'what happened to my kidneys?'. I do want to upgrade the struts/ shocks to the KYB AGXs soon. You'll find that some people like Bilstiens, others Konis, and so on. I've always ran KYBs on my stangs, from the 66s I've owned to the current 95 and have enjoyed what they've done for my ride.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
new shocks and struts was my first thought.
It' shouldn't be running rough if you only dropped it 1"

you may want to look at getting new springs!

jpajkos

Reaction score
Shocks and Struts are going to help you out alot. The KYB's for your year are really affrodable. I wouldn't go no more then a 1.5 drop unless you plan on buying Caster Camber plates to correct your wheel alignment. H&R's claim to be the best in the industry but im very happy with my Eibach Sportlines.

Valiant

Reaction score
Check your sway bar bushings if your steering wanders when you hit a bump. You will know if your shocks and struts are blown.

Stopsign32v

Reaction score
Valiant said:
if your steering wanders when you hit a bump. You will know if your shocks and struts are blown.

This is very not true. Bump steer is what you are talking about, and it is not caused by blown shocks and struts its caused by lowering your car and the car's toe changing alot. Also the widder the tire you have on the front the more you will notice bumpsteer.

OP
OP
C

chrajohns0

Reaction score
jpajkos said:
Shocks and Struts are going to help you out alot. The KYB's for your year are really affrodable. I wouldn't go no more then a 1.5 drop unless you plan on buying Caster Camber plates to correct your wheel alignment. H&R's claim to be the best in the industry but im very happy with my Eibach Sportlines.
are these good KYB's? and how about the price? is this good?clicky

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I don't see how steering wander is caused by worn struts??
and wouldn't worn swaybar bushings cause wheel hop??
again, not steering.

Bumpsteer is a different issue, and is worsened when a car is lowered - that's true.

I also wouldn't recommend going more than 1.5 inches unless you want your car to ride like a tank since the suspension will be about bottomed out in the rear. A rough ride you were asking about is from the stock axle pinion being in a foreward angle, and when it's lowered the axle is close to the snub and bottoms out in the rear. The front rides rough because the A arms are on an upward angle and have limited range of motion.
Slammed looks cool, but the mustang suspension cannot ride good in that position.
This also doesn't address 4-link bind.

Bump steer can also occur when car's are lowered because the a-arm isn't paralell with the tie rod, then when the suspension travels it pulls the camber of the wheel in and out. this will cause the steering to wander when you go through dips and stuff.

If you have any other quesions, feel free to ask :)

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
you mentioned it wandering when you hit bumps, is something loose?

also your Ball Joint could be shot.

OP
OP
C

chrajohns0

Reaction score
you the man Dalamar. now anyone have any springs for sale? or shocks and struts? ill be in the classified section for a while now. thanks......

Valiant

Reaction score
Didn't know worn out front sway bar bushings could affect wheel hop...

It's just a possibility, most of the time when someone complains of wandering steering, the front sway bar bushings are shot. Check 'em. Will only take 15 seconds.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I suppose it's possible.
More likely the ball joint, the swaybar transfers upward motion to the other side..
side to side would be the joint, or the steering.

I've learned a lot about suspension, but I'm not an expert.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online