SVE Brake Kit (Cobra style)

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
I definitely want to upgrade the brakes on my 95. I did ceramic pads and slotted rotors back in sept 2012 when I got the car. That made for a nice improvement over stock since the rotors were warped when I got the car. But driving it often I noticed the brakes feel somewhat mushy and everyone who drives my car says the brakes suck.. I'm going to do HCI so I want the upgraded brakes. I would go Cobras but I'm really not fond of buying used parts.. If sometime in the future I got this front brake kit, would I NEED to do anything with the rears or leave them as is? Or can I get a set of PBR (99-04 GT) Calipers on use those in place of the stock ones? What else would I need or are they a direct swap?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mustan...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4177058c36&vxp=mtr

SVE Kit.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/SVE-2300K-S/1994-04-Mustang-SVE-13-Cobra-Style-Stock-Front-Brake-Kit

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
You can find a Cobra front and rear set for about that price. Win had a set for sale for a while man you should have grabbed them haha. I'd recommend some Cobra's honestly. I've never seen the SVE's in action so that's where my opinion comes from :)

slow90coupe

Reaction score
Just go to your local auto parts store, order 2 calipers with brackets and hardware for a 97 Cobra. These should be around $50 each, then order 2 rotors for the same car (mine were $60 for the pair), then get 2 lines ($20 for the pair), and some pads of your choice (I went with EBC Redstuff for $100). There you go.. Better than factory Cobra stopping power for under $300!

TLSF150

Reaction score
You also have to grind your spindles to get the calipers on.. Other than that it's all bolt on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RichV

Reaction score
Ug. I know I've taught you guys better then that! :)

If you're gonna do the setup, you need the rears also plus the Cobra MC. If you don't do all of it, I would just go with a pair of 99-04 PBR calipers like in the ebay link. You'll have to grind a little, but not much. Leave everything else as is, and get some QUALITY pads. Cannot stress this enough. HAWK, Carbotech, EBC, Porterfield, take your pick. But don't do a race pad, street pad only.

Also, IMO, if you really have a mushy pedal, calipers won't help that. Your issue is either worn out spongy soft lines, air in the system, brake fluid that's never been completely flushed, or crappy pads. Or a combo of the prior.

So take your pick, I would probably get the calipers from RockAuto, this set is $70 for the pair brand new without a core: Ford->Mustang->2000->4.6L->Brake/WheelHub->Caliper
getimage.php

Then shop for some pads, saferacer or ebay. Expect to pay $150-200 for a set of 4 good street pads. Find some braided lines, or at minimum replace your front soft lines. Valvoline synthetic brake fluid (DOT 3/4), and bleed until every corner is as clear as the new fluid.

95opal

Reaction score
I definitely want to upgrade the brakes on my 95. I did ceramic pads and slotted rotors back in sept 2012 when I got the car. That made for a nice improvement over stock since the rotors were warped when I got the car. But driving it often I noticed the brakes feel somewhat mushy and everyone who drives my car says the brakes suck.. I'm going to do HCI so I want the upgraded brakes. I would go Cobras but I'm really not fond of buying used parts.. If sometime in the future I got this front brake kit, would I NEED to do anything with the rears or leave them as is? Or can I get a set of PBR (99-04 GT) Calipers on use those in place of the stock ones? What else would I need or are they a direct swap?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mustan...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4177058c36&vxp=mtr

SVE Kit.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/SVE-2300K-S/1994-04-Mustang-SVE-13-Cobra-Style-Stock-Front-Brake-Kit

Id pass on both of those and look at the North Racecars brake solutions set up even comes with a maxmotorsports stainless lines and cheaper than lmr. Another plus is no sve writing and a bare caliper so you can customize them to your liking without having to strip off powder.

link http://www.northracecars.com/Brakes.html

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
You can find a Cobra front and rear set for about that price. Win had a set for sale for a while man you should have grabbed them haha. I'd recommend some Cobra's honestly. I've never seen the SVE's in action so that's where my opinion comes from :)
Good point. Yeah man if I had the dough I would've looked into the set he had. I haven't either, seems like a replica of cobra brakes imo.
+1 cobras are all you really need.
Yeah I'm not looking to go nuts lol
Just go to your local auto parts store, order 2 calipers with brackets and hardware for a 97 Cobra. These should be around $50 each, then order 2 rotors for the same car (mine were $60 for the pair), then get 2 lines ($20 for the pair), and some pads of your choice (I went with EBC Redstuff for $100). There you go.. Better than factory Cobra stopping power for under $300!
That sounds like a nice combo, thanks for the input dude
You also have to grind your spindles to get the calipers on.. Other than that it's all bolt on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I'm not worried about that, thanks!
Ug. I know I've taught you guys better then that! :)

If you're gonna do the setup, you need the rears also plus the Cobra MC. If you don't do all of it, I would just go with a pair of 99-04 PBR calipers like in the ebay link. You'll have to grind a little, but not much. Leave everything else as is, and get some QUALITY pads. Cannot stress this enough. HAWK, Carbotech, EBC, Porterfield, take your pick. But don't do a race pad, street pad only.

Also, IMO, if you really have a mushy pedal, calipers won't help that. Your issue is either worn out spongy soft lines, air in the system, brake fluid that's never been completely flushed, or crappy pads. Or a combo of the prior.

So take your pick, I would probably get the calipers from RockAuto, this set is $70 for the pair brand new without a core: Ford->Mustang->2000->4.6L->Brake/WheelHub->Caliper
getimage.php

Then shop for some pads, saferacer or ebay. Expect to pay $150-200 for a set of 4 good street pads. Find some braided lines, or at minimum replace your front soft lines. Valvoline synthetic brake fluid (DOT 3/4), and bleed until every corner is as clear as the new fluid.

Was waiting for you to chime in lol. I'd rather not have to swap the rears honestly. Most economical and practical while still being a nice upgrade would be the PBR calipers for the fronts. I was looking at Hawks Ceramic street pads. My brother has them on his fox and they feel great, hell of a lot better than my brakes imo. I got akebono ceramic pads, i thought they were good pads when I got them but who knows. As far as I know, they're still original brake lines from 95 and I doubt the brake fluid was changed at all. $70 for the pair of new calipers and brackets is a great price. My plan is those pbr calipers, hawk ceramic street pads, new brake fluid (valvoline like you recommended) and ss lines for the front. Thanks a lot rich!

95opal

Reaction score
Good point. Yeah man if I had the dough I would've looked into the set he had. I haven't either, seems like a replica of cobra brakes imo.

Was waiting for you to chime in lol. I'd rather not have to swap the rears honestly. Most economical and practical while still being a nice upgrade would be the PBR calipers for the fronts. I was looking at Hawks Ceramic street pads. My brother has them on his fox and they feel great, hell of a lot better than my brakes imo. I got akebono ceramic pads, i thought they were good pads when I got them but who knows. As far as I know, they're still original brake lines from 95 and I doubt the brake fluid was changed at all. $70 for the pair of new calipers and brackets is a great price. My plan is those pbr calipers, hawk ceramic street pads, new brake fluid (valvoline like you recommended) and ss lines for the front. Thanks a lot rich!

Those are 99+ v6/gt pbr calipers ..JFYI you will need to grind your spindles to fit, also you cant use a 13" rotor and you still need to purchase SS lines. The link I gave you is a 13" cobra set up with ss lines and rotors ready to bolt on, much better than the pbr rock autos. Also the gt rear calipers are the same as the cobra rears just a different bracket and larger rotor .

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Those are 99+ v6/gt pbr calipers ..JFYI you will need to grind your spindles to fit, also you cant use a 13" rotor and you still need to purchase SS lines. The link I gave you is a 13" cobra set up with ss lines and rotors ready to bolt on, much better than the pbr rock autos. Also the gt rear calipers are the same as the cobra rears just a different bracket and larger rotor .

I know, thats not a big deal. I wasn't planning on changing the rotors, mine have like 3k on them so no reason too. I planned on SS lines anyway. I saw the setup you linked me too, pretty expensive but everythings there. Appreciate the help man!

fiveohwblow

Reaction score
Wait are you saying the Mach1/Cobra/Bullitt replacement calipers from rock auto are both PBR and not very good?

fiveohwblow

Reaction score
Re read. What he said.. he said the link he gave was a better deal for the cobra brake set up..

No need to re read. I was under the impression the link posted was cobra but I guess it was just for v6

9838stang

Reaction score

SVE Kit.

Personally, i think the cobra kit looks ways better, and functions way better. on the plus side, it only takes 5 minutes to swap brake pads out. the 99-04 pbr dual pistion v6-gt brakes are fine for on a budge builds, but if you can find a set of cobra brakes for the front for a reasonable price jump on it. I bought a my cobra swap for 250 rotors pads calipers brackets caliper pins. i had a buddy turn the rotors and i refinished the calipers. i still am using the factory rubber lines but i feel a much bigger difference! I havent done the rear, how much difference it would make, i do know a lot more stopping power up front. not sure if i see any difference for the rear.... Also i dont really feel like pulling the axles to do the swap for the rear

No need to re read. I was under the impression the link posted was cobra but I guess it was just for v6

I didn't see any v6.. There were some pbr then the rest was cobra style..

the pbr are the same for the v6 and the gt stock 11inch rotor for the both too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online