SVE Brake Kit (Cobra style)

RichV

Reaction score
Sorry guys, to clarify...

The rockauto pic I posted are for 99-04 GT brakes (same as V6), and yes you will need 99-04 specific front pads. Rear brakes/calipers are the same for 94-04 GT/V6. This is a simple upgrade for the fronts, a little better clamping power as well as a major weight upgrade. The spindle grinding is really not hard, I have even heard some guys do not have to. This only applies to 94/95 spindles and is really a minimal notch so the caliper and bracket can lign up with the upper bolt hole. My spindles were already modded for this, and I had to grind off even more for my 13" Wilwood setup.

Rockauto is a good source even if you want to upgrade to the Cobra gear. Just look up brakes for a Cobra, they will have similar kits available. Not sure if they will have any badging or lettering on the calipers if that's important.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
I think I'll get the ones off RockAuto. Already powdercoated red too so thats a plus. Found similar ones on summit but unpainted. Sounds good. Can't wait to buy the parts and do the swap. I'm not worried about grinding the spindle, I got a dremel so I could try that out. Thanks a lot [MENTION=17007]RichV[/MENTION]

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
Found Rock Auto's parts catalog... Anyone want to make a list of what parts you'd need to do a cobra swap? I looked through there and saw some cobra brakes but theres so much shit I don't know what I'm looking at... Looks like their prices are cheap though

I might be doing this if it's cheap enough. regardless a list would help the5.ohh out

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?ck

Win

Legend
Reaction score
Just go to your local auto parts store, order 2 calipers with brackets and hardware for a 97 Cobra. These should be around $50 each, then order 2 rotors for the same car (mine were $60 for the pair), then get 2 lines ($20 for the pair), and some pads of your choice (I went with EBC Redstuff for $100). There you go.. Better than factory Cobra stopping power for under $300!

Auto zone 44 each...

You also have to grind your spindles to get the calipers on.. Other than that it's all bolt on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

correct since the 94-95 spindles are different then the 96

I yet to find a part store that carries the cobra front bracket..

hmmm my local autozone carries them.

No grinding need it on the cobra swap..

correct but he was referring to the PBR dual piston setup just didn't clarify

Ug. I know I've taught you guys better then that! :)

If you're gonna do the setup, you need the rears also plus the Cobra MC. If you don't do all of it, I would just go with a pair of 99-04 PBR calipers like in the ebay link. You'll have to grind a little, but not much. Leave everything else as is, and get some QUALITY pads. Cannot stress this enough. HAWK, Carbotech, EBC, Porterfield, take your pick. But don't do a race pad, street pad only.

Also, IMO, if you really have a mushy pedal, calipers won't help that. Your issue is either worn out spongy soft lines, air in the system, brake fluid that's never been completely flushed, or crappy pads. Or a combo of the prior.

So take your pick, I would probably get the calipers from RockAuto, this set is $70 for the pair brand new without a core: Ford->Mustang->2000->4.6L->Brake/WheelHub->Caliper
getimage.php

Then shop for some pads, saferacer or ebay. Expect to pay $150-200 for a set of 4 good street pads. Find some braided lines, or at minimum replace your front soft lines. Valvoline synthetic brake fluid (DOT 3/4), and bleed until every corner is as clear as the new fluid.

i dunno rich my Gt master cyl with cobra fronts and new Valvoline syn fluid is amazing. And works just fine.

i agree with the lines as I went with Goodridge SS lines for the front.

Id pass on both of those and look at the North Racecars brake solutions set up even comes with a maxmotorsports stainless lines and cheaper than lmr. Another plus is no sve writing and a bare caliper so you can customize them to your liking without having to strip off powder.

link http://www.northracecars.com/Brakes.html

I say just hunt your local CL for a set of cobra calipers. They'll pop up.

I know, thats not a big deal. I wasn't planning on changing the rotors, mine have like 3k on them so no reason too. I planned on SS lines anyway. I saw the setup you linked me too, pretty expensive but everythings there. Appreciate the help man!

Just do he PBR caliper with ss lines you'll be good.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I think I'll get the ones off RockAuto. Already powdercoated red too so thats a plus. Found similar ones on summit but unpainted. Sounds good. Can't wait to buy the parts and do the swap. I'm not worried about grinding the spindle, I got a dremel so I could try that out. Thanks a lot RichV

If you're talking about these:

getimage.php

That is not a good deal honestly. $45 without a core EACH?

I paid $50 shipped for my entire PBR setup minus rotors.

You're looking at like 150 for completed calipers with shipping. That's Cobra brake territory.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
If you're talking about these:

getimage.php

That is not a good deal honestly. $45 without a core EACH?

I paid $50 shipped for my entire PBR setup minus rotors.

You're looking at like 150 for completed calipers with shipping. That's Cobra brake territory.

Thats $70 for both right there.. It comes in a pair. And theres a core charge like $25 or something. I'd rather not buy used, just the way I am. I priced everything out. PBR Front calipers (already powdercoated red) with brackets, SS lines, hawk ceramic front and rear pads, $313 for everything.. Cobra calipers are what 250+ for the fronts? Tack on 13'' rotors, lines and pads thats atleast another 250.. Oh and plus I'd need cobras for the rear too.. The pbr swap I only change the front calipers, lines and pads all around.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Auto zone 44 each...

correct since the 94-95 spindles are different then the 96

hmmm my local autozone carries them.

correct but he was referring to the PBR dual piston setup just didn't clarify

i dunno rich my Gt master cyl with cobra fronts and new Valvoline syn fluid is amazing. And works just fine.

i agree with the lines as I went with Goodridge SS lines for the front.

I say just hunt your local CL for a set of cobra calipers. They'll pop up.

Just do he PBR caliper with ss lines you'll be good.

That's what I'm gonna do. Easiest on my wallet and still a nice upgrade over the stock brakes.. Plus I'm sure the HAWK pads are far superior to the Akebono ceramics I have now.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
Thats $70 for both right there.. It comes in a pair. And theres a core charge like $25 or something. I'd rather not buy used, just the way I am. I priced everything out. PBR Front calipers (already powdercoated red) with brackets, SS lines, hawk ceramic front and rear pads, $313 for everything.. Cobra calipers are what 250+ for the fronts? Tack on 13'' rotors, lines and pads thats atleast another 250.. Oh and plus I'd need cobras for the rear too.. The pbr swap I only change the front calipers, lines and pads all around.

You don't have to run cobra rears......!!!!!!! I've know. Probably a dozen people that have never run cobra rears and even a Gt master cyl. That stuff isn't needed!

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Thats $70 for both right there.. It comes in a pair. And theres a core charge like $25 or something. I'd rather not buy used, just the way I am. I priced everything out. PBR Front calipers (already powdercoated red) with brackets, SS lines, hawk ceramic front and rear pads, $313 for everything.. Cobra calipers are what 250+ for the fronts? Tack on 13'' rotors, lines and pads thats atleast another 250..

That is incorrect.

2njzuoi.png

If you're set on not doing cobra brakes, at least don't go blowing all your money on calipers.

Oh and plus I'd need cobras for the rear too.. The pbr swap I only change the front calipers, lines and pads all around.

Why would you need to do the rears too? The rear brakes only provide like 1/3 of braking power.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Incorrect 10.87
Damn i was off by a bit haha
You don't have to run cobra rears......!!!!!!! I've know. Probably a dozen people that have never run cobra rears and even a Gt master cyl. That stuff isn't needed!
O.
That is incorrect.

2njzuoi.png

If you're set on not doing cobra brakes, at least don't go blowing all your money on calipers.

Why would you need to do the rears too? The rear brakes only provide like 1/3 of braking power.

Oh wtf that blows.. So I'm better off getting the unpainted ones off Summit for $39 each. Thanks for pointing that out, I would've ordered one like an idiot lol.. I just assumed you'd need to do the rears, thought the fronts would overpower the rears.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
Damn i was off by a bit haha

O.

Oh wtf that blows.. So I'm better off getting the unpainted ones off Summit for $39 each. Thanks for pointing that out, I would've ordered one like an idiot lol.. I just assumed you'd need to do the rears, thought the fronts would overpower the rears.

Fronts ta overpower the rears by the proportioning valve anyway. The only way to cure it is a manual valve..... Orrrrrrrr you can do new rotors and very grippy pads to help the rear bite better.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

Yeah i'd say so. Painting them is easy and cheap especially if they're not on the car.

And when you add them to your cart, it adds them both so you would've noticed sooner or later.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Yeah i'd say so. Painting them is easy and cheap especially if they're not on the car.

And when you add them to your cart, it adds them both so you would've noticed sooner or later.

Yeah its pretty easy for sure. On the car wasn't bad, I painted em with a brush lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online