SVO heads with pi cams: a waste of head?

Armydad

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 98 GT and have been chewing on my upgrade options over the last couple months, but I have made one decision, I am going to use ported SVO heads. I am negotiating a set now and I have a line on an svo intake at a good price. The question I have is can I use PI cams with those heads and if I can should I. I already have a set of cams and springs in the garage that I got for a 100 bills and would like to use them. They have decent lift, but I am a little concerned with the duration, it should give good low end, but may die off quickly. Also I intend on supercharging, most likely an FRPP or Allen set up ( thanks ahead of time for the blower info, centi vs roots etc. but I like the two I mentioned for my applications. I will sell the intake later)
I have used Crower in the past and will go with them if more cam is recomended, but I don't know how well the 4.6 responds to camming, and 10 extra ponies for $600 may not be worth it.

Any and all info suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Rantheman

Reaction score
svo heads are a good head the best head on the market for us. they have a larger intake/exh valve. and more the only drag is there about 8-900 bucks a head while the p.i. head is about 350 brand new a head. but I tell you if i had the money I owuld have gone the svo route

OP
OP
A

Armydad

Reaction score
Rantheman said:
svo heads are a good head the best head on the market for us. they have a larger intake/exh valve. and more the only drag is there about 8-900 bucks a head while the p.i. head is about 350 brand new a head. but I tell you if i had the money I owuld have gone the svo route

i've heard that alot, thankfully money isn't issue ( although I won't waste it on stuff I don't need) so I figured for a little extra what the hell. My real question though is can I use the PI cams that I have or will they underuse the heads capabilities. If aftermarket cams can get me some real gains I will get them, but if it is only a few ponies at high rpms to me its not worth the money.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'd definately do the cam if your doing it. the stock PI grind is mild.
You'll get a better power band and higher revs.
Crower specs are great on teh 4.6, get a blower spec if your adding one.

Cam gains multiply under boost, and the band is more usable.

My buddy with an 01 did the FRPP blower and crower cams and it hauls ass, plus the idle lope is just AWSOME.

Sounds like a good project, definately keep us updated :thumb:

Rantheman

Reaction score
The cams I sold you should work for the svo heads!!!

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not saying the PI cams won't be good, they're better than the NPI's.

just that aftermarked grinds are better than that!

OP
OP
A

Armydad

Reaction score
Rantheman said:

Yeah those are the cams I am mentioning. Originally I was just going to port the npi heads and dump in the pi cams, but I decided that that set up would not get me where I want to go. The problem now is the SVO head may be too much head for the pi cams. With the kind of coin I'm dropping on the SVOs' (they are also ported) I want to get as much as I can out of them.

Hey Dalamar I was looking at the Crower blower cams, I love Crower products. I am also looking at the FRPP blower or an Allen unit. Droptop has the FRPP and says it will make 100 hp with 9psi pulley. I wonder though if it will do better with ported SVO heads, they breathe like beasts.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
A blower grind cam will run more efficient and the lobe should bite more air per strokc. so that helps.
it will do a little better with your heads since they flow better.
I'm not sure if there's any rpm limit's on the eaton head, maybe Droptop can get more specific, but if
your running on the stock bottom end you'll be into the low 400's
Cant go much higher than that with out forged rods/pistons.
Plus the lope is awsome, love the lope!!

My buddies 01 car sounds and runs awsome!
He actually bought an 03 cobra put on the Staigmeir ported blower on it, and he likes driving the 2V better.

You may wanna also look at hedders if you dont have them.
Definately check out the Bassani mid length's. benefits of long tubes and a collector, and no ground clearance issues.
Easier to install than long tubes too.

Good luck & post up what you go with, we love pics!

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Dalamar said:
My buddy with an 01 did the FRPP blower and crower cams and it hauls ass, plus the idle lope is just AWSOME.

You have a friend with a 01 2V with the FRPP Blower? I'd like more info on this car if possible!!! How did he adapt the fuel rails etc...take pics and have him join here. I get asked all the time if this kit will work on 99-04 and i always say yes but wasn't sure of what obstacles there were. Get the info D and pics...oh and 400hp...thats sweet.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Armydad said:
Rantheman said:

Yeah those are the cams I am mentioning. Originally I was just going to port the npi heads and dump in the pi cams, but I decided that that set up would not get me where I want to go. The problem now is the SVO head may be too much head for the pi cams. With the kind of coin I'm dropping on the SVOs' (they are also ported) I want to get as much as I can out of them.

Hey Dalamar I was looking at the Crower blower cams, I love Crower products. I am also looking at the FRPP blower or an Allen unit. Droptop has the FRPP and says it will make 100 hp with 9psi pulley. I wonder though if it will do better with ported SVO heads, they breathe like beasts.

If it were me and i just shelled out major cash for FRPP/SVO heads and had them p&p'd i would definately not be putting stock PI cams in them. Some blower grinds would really benefit the FRPP blower. I'm sure i have told you before but a guy over on Corral who has a 01 engine in his 96 was making 330rwhp with the FRPP blower and comp 262 npi cams. After he swapped out to Crower st 2 blower cams and upgraded the fuel system (42lb inj/90mm lmaf/tune) the blower really woke up to the tune of 404rwhp with the stock 6lb pulley. With a 9psi pulley i have no doubt he would be at 425+ rwhp from the little POS eaton blower (or as some idiots think)

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
Dalamar said:

You have a friend with a 01 2V with the FRPP Blower? I'd like more info on this car if possible!!! How did he adapt the fuel rails etc...take pics and have him join here. I get asked all the time if this kit will work on 99-04 and i always say yes but wasn't sure of what obstacles there were. Get the info D and pics...oh and 400hp...thats sweet.

TTT Dalamar get me some info on your friends car :)

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
Ok Droptop, I called and went over it with him.
He had the FRPP blower, and install kit - All installed by SVC motorsports - Phonenix.
they had to fabricate the alternator bracket and the throttle cable bracket.
he put in stage 4 Comp cams, they come on at 3300 rpm and he says he hit's redline in a heartbeat.
It Idles like a Stock car, sounds mean as hell. He kind of wishes they wernt so tall so the powerband would hit lower.
They put on the Muiser WP and messed with his crank pulley and obviously got a new belt.

at 6# hes' putting donw 370 RW on a loaded Dyno.
he's planning on upping the boost on it soon.
Stock internals, Bassani Mid lengths.

He signed up on here but doesn't visit much.
His names forum name is AZRoush
http://www.sn95forums.com/forum/index.php?topic=1943.0

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Dalamar said:
DropTopPony said:
Ok Droptop, I called and went over it with him.
He had the FRPP blower, and install kit - All installed by SVC motorsports - Phonenix.
they had to fabricate the alternator bracket and the throttle cable bracket.
he put in stage 4 Comp cams, they come on at 3300 rpm and he says he hit's redline in a heartbeat.
It Idles like a Stock car, sounds mean as hell. He kind of wishes they wernt so tall so the powerband would hit lower.
They put on the Muiser WP and messed with his crank pulley and obviously got a new belt.

at 6# hes' putting donw 370 RW on a loaded Dyno.
he's planning on upping the boost on it soon.
Stock internals, Bassani Mid lengths.

He signed up on here but doesn't visit much.
His names forum name is AZRoush
http://www.sn95forums.com/forum/index.php?topic=1943.0
370 at the wheels with 6 psi is nice! You don't know how many people tell me that blower won't brake 350rwhp at 9-10psi let alone 6 so this is just one more i can add to my list...Somedays i want to just throw my stuff together just to dyno it and tell people to STFU cause they don't know what they are talking about. I try telling people the Eaton is a good blower up to about 10-12psi boost and can make some power but the stock FRPP tune sucks and the injectors/fuel pump are too small that it comes with so once you upgrade everything it kicks up some power. I can't wait to see what mine puts down with the heads/cams and 9psi pulley....i need to get a move on

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.