Swap and Build

Kirko

Reaction score
I have a 94 Mustang 5spd 3.8L. I can't find a 94-04 v8 for a cheap price anywhere near me. Thus, it looks like I am going to have to do a swap.
I don't want any BS. I just want to know everything I am going to need for this swap and what all I am going to have to do. I need a 5.0 of course. I need the computer. Would I need another tranny? I will need an 8.8 rear later. Will I have to mess with the motor mounts? Anything else I am forgetting about?
I was also wanting to build the engine some before I drop it in. I want to do as much as I can while the engine is out of the car before I put it in to make it easier on me later and not have to do too much work. I was thinking I should do the upper/lower gt40 intake, heads, cam, LTs and the rest of the exhaust, and I was going to get a rebuild kit too while it is out of the car. Anything else that I should be doing while it is out? All the bolt ons and shit I can do later.
My expectations for this car is to keep it NA and I want to be able to get this thing running at least 12s soon. I want to get in the 300+hp range NA.

Thanks.

95Grandtouring5.0

Reaction score
I dont believe a pair of gt40 heads and intake will get you quite to that range, but trickflow, and afr make the best heads for our motors in my opinions. Trickflow also makes a very good intake, along with a decent cam and you should be well over your 300hp mark.

From the knowledge I have gathered here, you will need to change the k member most likely a new harness. Others can fill you in more.

Downshift

Reaction score
Good to hear your going for it man. Its funny because most people tell others just to buy a v8 stang instead of the headache, and then you will see guys that took a cobra or something and went wild on it and say they wish they would have started with a 6 because its not even the same car.

You will want the 8.8 rear. Good time to do gears in it before you put it in or have them put in. If you think you might get power hungry later you could always put some forged internals in it while its out. Full rebuild while its out and HCI would be pretty nice. While everything is out make sure you do everything you can possibly think you want to now. Example being hiding all the wires and stuff while the motor is out will help out a ton. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

OP
OP
K

Kirko

Reaction score
I already know about the rear end and stuff. I am worried about if my tranny will hook up(I do not want to get another at the moment no money). I am just worried about the engine at this point and what all I will need. Right now the lowest I have found a 5.0 for is $400 stock. I am kinda hoping to get one atleast $200 so I can afford to do all the things to it before I drop it in the car.

Downshift

Reaction score
Around here you can get a shortblock from a junk yard for less than $150. You have any pick and pulls or anything like that around you?

OP
OP
K

Kirko

Reaction score
yeah. i have a few junk yards around me. but they want too much for engines.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Staff online

Members online