Swaping in Cobra IRS...

NERD

Reaction score
Is there anything I should be aware of? I should be doing it this weekend. Someone told me that the Cobra IRS is 3/4 wider on each wheel side for our 94-98?

It's a free swap, not costing anything and I like the ride of IRS more than solid. I'll never make over 400hp and I'm not worried about wheel hop

S

scarface

Myself and wyotechmsa are doing this swap..here is some info from maximum motorsports...

As far as what is needed to install the IRS into your car, all of the necessary nuts, bolts, and brackets will be on the donor car. You will however have to do a little fab work since the IRS was never intended to be installed on pre-99 cars.

-The rear brake lines will need to be re-routed since they changed the lines with the body style in 1999.
-Also the rear IRS bracket bolts into a capture nut in the frame rails of 1999 and later cars. There is no provision for this bolt on your car. It is necessary to weld a crush-tube (similar to our panhard bar crush tube) and into the frame rail to accommodate for this bracket on all 1998 and older cars.
-Lastly, all 1999 and later cars, both solid axle and IRS, use a 14mm lower control arm bolt on the chassis side mount. You have two options here, you can either drill out the holes in the chassis side mount of your car to accommodate the larger bolt, or use our urethane subframe bushing kit ( MMIRSU-2) with a smaller 12mm crush sleeve for a direct bolt in.

here is a VERY helpful thread....
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=391333&highlight=irs+swap

Thomas_W

Reaction score
I've already done this..

Here's what you gotta do

Rear brake lines DO NOT have to be modified.. the 96-98 cars lines work fine..

The rear brackets DO bolt up to the rear subframe of 96-98 cars. but 2 bolt holes are missing (there's 4 bolts holding the rear IRS attach brackets to the subframe). 2 of the bolts go where the quad shock mount bolts 2. the other 2 go to the bottom of the subframe. just weld the bracket to the subframe and you'll be fine.

i highly suggest doing the urethane control arm, Subframe and diff bushings before installing the IRS into the car.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online