Swapping a 2v for the 4v

Grnstang

Reaction score
Hey all...Just need a little input. A buddy of mine just bought an 03 Mach 1 engine for about $500 bucks, big steal!!! Anyway, he said he was going to either install it in an older notchback, or just put it together, sell it and buy an 99-01 Cobra. If he sells it, he'll sell it to me for only $600 and install it with my help. So, if that ends up being the case, what am I going to need? I'm sure a new computer is one thing, but what about the K-member, transmission, rear end, etc.?? Everything with the exception of a few bolt ons and exhaust on my car, 96 Mustang GT, is stock. Can anyone tell me how much more I'll need and how big of a job this is going to be? Thanks.

68mustang5.0

Reaction score
everything your 96 has now, you can use. For the ECU, get a dyno tune. K member, trans, midpipe ( idk if its the same) youu can all use. for the ECU, just get a dyno tune, you can use the same ECU. The motor mounts are the same.

OP
OP
G

Grnstang

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the info man. Have you done a 4v swap before? If so, can you tell me if it's gonna be pretty much just pull out the old and drop in the new, or? I'm sooo friggin pumped!!!! I went with him to pick it up the everything looked beautiful! It was all in pieces and everything looked super clean. The guy has an 03 mach and was going to build a super motor for it, but after it sat for awhile, he decided to just get rid of it.

68mustang5.0

Reaction score
Personally, i havent done it to my car, i plan to one day, but i have helped a friend do it. one thing you might wanna do is use the Coil Packs from your existing motor. he actually put in the motor from the bottom, with the K member o n it and everything. he got in running like 5 hours after that. You got an auto? that 4v mach motor will be fun as hell.

OP
OP
G

Grnstang

Reaction score
No, mines a manual...So, you can swap the coil packs to the mach motor? I can't wait...It may be a while before he decides what he's gonna do, but he's leaning more towards selling it to me and buying a Cobra.

Willis_98GT

Reaction score
yourrrrrrrrrrr lucky dude.. 500$ mach 1 motor??? god. i do alot of work on my friend's mach 1 and i'd S*** my pants if i had that motor in my bodystyle... :banana:

OP
OP
G

Grnstang

Reaction score
Yeah I know....I almost couldn't believe it...The guy that had the engine was stationed in Germany, airforce, and came across a wrecked Mach with only 8k miles. Well, I guess there aren't many Mach's over there and the guy was having a hard time parting it out. So, he sold it dirt cheap and then my friend knew the guy pretty well and he'd been sitting on it for a while so he sold it for what he bought it for.

Machmadness

Reaction score
Wow!! you are pretty lucky!! Your buddy is going to sell you the engine and help you put it in??!?!!? I think we all need friends like that. Lemme know how it goes. I am interested in puting a mod motor on an old Fox.

OP
OP
G

Grnstang

Reaction score
Yeah!! He's one of my best friend's ever! Kind of wishful thinking, but I was hoping he'd buy a 99 Cobra from Wisconsin area and then drop that Mach into my car and then we'd have a couple of :drunk: afterwards. How's it goin what me worry, aka Lee. You should buy that Cobra, or just get the 4 banger Fox so we can mod the sh!t out of it.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
I beleive you may need to rig up a way to mount the coil packs on the front of the Mach motor. Check Modular Fords swap section out, I know it's been covered there before, and good luck!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online