Swapping motor and questions

voidfinger

Reaction score
Hey guys. If i was to swap a DOHC motor into my car or another car, what all else would i need.

Say i would have a Mark VIII motor with 98 Cobra Cams in it. For the intake i would have be using a 97 mark VIII intake.

This would be swapped into a auto equipped car with the gt wiring harness and gt computer. Any ideas guys? thanks

Mitchell

jfor441

Legend
Reaction score
you could use the mark VIII intake. If you you look at the published HP numbers between the cobra and mark VII, the difference in power comes from the intake. I don't think there is a difference in the stock cams between the mark VIII and CObra motors either unless you are talking about getting aftermarket cams.

OP
OP
V

voidfinger

Reaction score
i was thinking of using the 97 mark intake since it looks just like the 99 up cobra one. I would exstude hone it to open it up a little and then i would use the cobra cams on the mark motor.

The cams are different. The 98 cobra ones have the most aggressive intake cam "from my looking it up and asking around"

So, the 97-98 mark made 290 ish while the cobra made 305. I'm thinking with the honed intake and the cams i should be at least 300 or more. So i think that would be ok.

But does it look like i got anything else that i need??

[attachment deleted by admin]

jfor441

Legend
Reaction score
I wished I had saved the links to guys who had done the swap. Everything I have told you is what I remembered reading. From my understanding, you will also have to get an IMRC delete kit if it is going into a GT. You can use your GT wiring harness but will have to extend I think 3 wires. You will also have to get a new throttle cable and cruise control cable for a Cobra because of length issues. Not sure about the headers. I don't know if headers for a GT will work with the Cobra.

OP
OP
V

voidfinger

Reaction score
not sure about the headers, but i'm hooking the imrc plates and controller up to a rpm activator switch set to 3200 rpm. i know that the cobra one is set to 3250 but i didn't see a pill for that one.

Some one told me that you could use the mach 1 throttle cable since ford still sells that one.

I'm wondering if the mark 8 headers/manifolds are the same as the cobra ones.

OP
OP
V

voidfinger

Reaction score
so is there anything i'm missing that you can think of? any help is apriciated :)

spitfirees20

Reaction score
jfor441 said:
I wished I had saved the links to guys who had done the swap. Everything I have told you is what I remembered reading. From my understanding, you will also have to get an IMRC delete kit if it is going into a GT. You can use your GT wiring harness but will have to extend I think 3 wires. You will also have to get a new throttle cable and cruise control cable for a Cobra because of length issues. Not sure about the headers. I don't know if headers for a GT will work with the Cobra.

Damn, I was looking for links like that for awhile :-\

waltnono

Reaction score
Are you going to do the porting ursefl? I'm trying to figure out if I would need a larger fuel pump that what a stock GT has to fuel my 4V swap? I think I'm going to go the junkyard and pull pump from a mark8.

waltnono

Reaction score
What year is ur car? Maybe you can help me with my hydroboost setup.
100_0054.jpg

The upper right fitting goes the 12 oclock fitting on the hydroboost right?
100_0059.jpg

The 8 o'clock fitting to the powersteer reservoir
100_0057.jpg

This is the line that goes to the 8 oclock fitting on the hydroboost. You can see the tee on it that goes to the reservoir and the other line goes to the radiator right?
100_0056.jpg

Now is this the line that goes from the 6 oclock position to the powersteering pump?

Now if this is correct, where does botton right line on the powersteering rack goes? Is it the radiator? Ok now on the radiator there are two lines, which is the supply and which is the return

OP
OP
V

voidfinger

Reaction score
naw i don't have the machine to force the media threw the runners to port them and you would probably want to buy a 190 lph pump with the 24 lbs injectors.

As for the lines . I have no clue, my car is still at the body shop and i don't have it right in front of me.

I got a 98 and it does have the hydro booster but i've never paid any attention to the lines. Have you checked the haynes manual?

waltnono

Reaction score
voidfinger said:
naw i don't have the machine to force the media threw the runners to port them and you would probably want to buy a 190 lph pump with the 24 lbs injectors.

As for the lines . I have no clue, my car is still at the body shop and i don't have it right in front of me.

I got a 98 and it does have the hydro booster but i've never paid any attention to the lines. Have you checked the haynes manual?
I do but its no help

OP
OP
V

voidfinger

Reaction score
i have no clue, i haven't even found the place yet. My brother had his 5.0 intake done many years ago and he told me about it. So i guess ill go from there. But i don't even know if i got the intake now, i just checked the thread and he said sold. I'm not sure since no one else contacted him and i said i had dibs on it...... o well.

waltnono

Reaction score
I havent priced one as of late but I remember a couple hundred for porting, if that the case then you could find a cobra intake. I just need to get my hrdroboost mounted and route the harness and I'm done.

OP
OP
V

voidfinger

Reaction score
cool, i really dought it would be that much for just a media port. but i could be wrong...have been many times before lol. Yea i might get the cobra if this one falls threw or maybe ill just hit you up for that second one you have. lol. Or i could just go on and buy that 5.4 2v for 300 bucks and get it shipped here and pay another 300 for plates, 300 for tune, and 100 for someone to fix the pipes. and boom i'm running. lol

waltnono

Reaction score
voidfinger said:
cool, i really dought it would be that much for just a media port. but i could be wrong...have been many times before lol. Yea i might get the cobra if this one falls threw or maybe ill just hit you up for that second one you have. lol. Or i could just go on and buy that 5.4 2v for 300 bucks and get it shipped here and pay another 300 for plates, 300 for tune, and 100 for someone to fix the pipes. and boom i'm running. lol

I still have it, I've been to lazy to post it for sale any where. I just need to do a little O.T and get my Xcal and I'll be running.

OP
OP
V

voidfinger

Reaction score
cool, let me know how it runs dude. I'm going to try and figure out what i want to do with the motor of the car so :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online